Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Forum Suggestions & User Assistance (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=160)
-   -   Problems with website (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1145908)

Bizman 06-03-18 11:05 PM

Problems with website

Just wondering if anyone else is having trouble with this website? Ever since the upgrade it is real slow, quite often reloading the page, very hard to write posts, just not working like it used to before the upgrade. It is one of my favorite websites to visit and now one of the worst to look at, ranking up there with MTBR and Road bike review and their problems just like this site now. I use an iPad (and updated) as I always have. I go to BROL and their sites and it works great so I know it's this website (and the others I mention). Any insight to get things working like they used to would be appreciated and thanks in advance! It's becoming not fun to come here anymore with all the problems that were not here before the upgrade.

Machka 06-04-18 03:06 AM

Speed seems fine to me.

There could be a few other improvements to the place but the speed is all right.

Patriot1 06-04-18 04:02 AM

No issues here.

cb400bill 06-04-18 04:34 AM

Thread moved from General Cycling to Forum Suggestions and User Assistance.

BobbyG 06-04-18 06:48 AM

At the bottom left of each page is a drop down where you can select the mobile version and or the "classic version" of the full site. I'm not an ipad guy, but on many mobile browsers you sometimes also have to choose to show th mobile version in the preference. Maybe that might help.https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...280edd2f61.png

sdmc530 06-04-18 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by Bizman (Post 20375354)
Just wondering if anyone else is having trouble with this website? Ever since the upgrade it is real slow, quite often reloading the page, very hard to write posts, just not working like it used to before the upgrade. It is one of my favorite websites to visit and now one of the worst to look at, ranking up there with MTBR and Road bike review and their problems just like this site now. I use an iPad (and updated) as I always have. I go to BROL and their sites and it works great so I know it's this website (and the others I mention). Any insight to get things working like they used to would be appreciated and thanks in advance! It's becoming not fun to come here anymore with all the problems that were not here before the upgrade.

i too have the same issues still. After a change I expected some issues but its been a bit now do i too am getting close to bailing out. Getting frustrated with trying to even read the posts anymore.

IBThomas 06-04-18 11:05 AM

Thanks for the info. The website info slowdown is concerning. I'll raise the issue with our tech guys to see if there's something we can do about it. You may want to try clearing your cache/cookies in browser and using an alternate browser. I'm assuming you're using Safari on an Ipad, so try using Chrome if you can.

sdmc530 06-04-18 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by IBThomas (Post 20376121)
Thanks for the info. The website info slowdown is concerning. I'll raise the issue with our tech guys to see if there's something we can do about it. You may want to try clearing your cache/cookies in browser and using an alternate browser. I'm assuming you're using Safari on an Ipad, so try using Chrome if you can.

also fyi i have issues one firefix and ie. don’t have a lick of issues on phone version. Just prefer desktop for typing.

Rollfast 06-04-18 09:15 PM

When was the last time you logged off and back in, cleared your cache?

Bizman 06-05-18 12:49 AM

Originally Posted by BobbyG (Post 20375610)
At the bottom left of each page is a drop down where you can select the mobile version and or the "classic version" of the full site. I'm not an ipad guy, but on many mobile browsers you sometimes also have to choose to show th mobile version in the preference. Maybe that might help.https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...280edd2f61.png

Thanks for the tip, I am in mobile mode and I did sign out and back in like the other poster said. I hit quote to quote you the page went blank and at the top right corner it said "a problem occurred and the page needed to be reloaded. I hit quote again and then I am able to type. However, when typing you type several words and they don't show right away the all of a sudden they appear. Browsing through threads is very slow and inconsistent and very hard to try and scroll down through a thread. As I said this site along with MTBR, and Road Bike Review are the only sires this happens on so I don't think it's on my end?

Yes I am using safari and don't know how to use another browser? As I said this site worked great until the upgrade just like the other sites. Right now it's so hard to type I can't see the ends of the paragraph I am trying to type. Thanks for your efforts to help fix this as it's very frustrating being one of my favorite sites to visit.

sdmc530 06-05-18 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by Rollfast (Post 20377282)
When was the last time you logged off and back in, cleared your cache?

tried this and other tricks. I think it’s just way to add heavy, was bad before now it’s just a bulkier product I think. Not impressed right now.

IBThomas 06-05-18 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by Bizman (Post 20377456)

Thanks for the tip, I am in mobile mode and I did sign out and back in like the other poster said. I hit quote to quote you the page went blank and at the top right corner it said "a problem occurred and the page needed to be reloaded. I hit quote again and then I am able to type. However, when typing you type several words and they don't show right away the all of a sudden they appear. Browsing through threads is very slow and inconsistent and very hard to try and scroll down through a thread. As I said this site along with MTBR, and Road Bike Review are the only sires this happens on so I don't think it's on my end?

Yes I am using safari and don't know how to use another browser? As I said this site worked great until the upgrade just like the other sites. Right now it's so hard to type I can't see the ends of the paragraph I am trying to type. Thanks for your efforts to help fix this as it's very frustrating being one of my favorite sites to visit.

See if you can clear your cache/cookies. All that memory might be slowing down your browser.

Bizman 06-05-18 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by sdmc530 (Post 20377863)

tried this and other tricks. I think it’s just way to add heavy, was bad before now it’s just a bulkier product I think. Not impressed right now.

Ditto this with the adds as well as trying suggested tricks! I have tried clearing cookies like IBThomas just suggested and still working the same. Just trying to type is slow and not real responsive. although right now I am actually seeing the whole paragraph while writing this post.

JanMM 06-07-18 12:14 PM

I use Chrome on my iPad. Downloaded from the app store.

CliffordK 06-07-18 12:34 PM

I downgraded at the same time the website upgraded, so I can't say how my other laptop would have reacted to the upgrades, or how this one would have worked with the old site.

However, BikeForums is very heavy with third party scripts including requiring third party scripts for the new photo manager.

The only way that Bike Forums will reasonably run on my current laptop (Puppy/Chrome/1GB) is to use NoScript Lite.

Allow scripts from: https://cimg1.ibsrv.net to get the new images to work... WHY?

I don't get the fancy editing buttons, and the Bike Forums static Header and Footer wipes out half my screen so I have a tiny box to view the forum. I know most of the common BB code that I need for formatting, and can type them in manually.

I've wondered about the mobile version. I see where It can be selected, perhaps I'll try it. Mobile seems to work fine on my phone (chrome), although fonts are a bit mixed up.

Bizman 06-07-18 07:55 PM

The site is still not working good and I would say even worse since I asked about problems with it and starting this thread. I say it's now worse than ever and all I could do to type this out. Like Clifford said, the header and footers are so big you can hardly see the screen. I will keep doing my commuting miles but other than that I am giving the site a rest. It's just to frustrating to visit anymore, it's a shame as it was one of my favorite bike forums to visit.

IBThomas 06-08-18 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by Bizman (Post 20383030)
The site is still not working good and I would say even worse since I asked about problems with it and starting this thread. I say it's now worse than ever and all I could do to type this out. Like Clifford said, the header and footers are so big you can hardly see the screen. I will keep doing my commuting miles but other than that I am giving the site a rest. It's just to frustrating to visit anymore, it's a shame as it was one of my favorite bike forums to visit.

Does this display problem happen on all your browsers. I'm concerned that our update may not be compatible with some users display settings because this is not a wide spread problem as far as I can tell.

Rollfast 06-08-18 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by CliffordK (Post 20382237)
I downgraded at the same time the website upgraded, so I can't say how my other laptop would have reacted to the upgrades, or how this one would have worked with the old site.

However, BikeForums is very heavy with third party scripts including requiring third party scripts for the new photo manager.

The only way that Bike Forums will reasonably run on my current laptop (Puppy/Chrome/1GB) is to use NoScript Lite.

Allow scripts from: https://cimg1.ibsrv.net to get the new images to work... WHY?

I don't get the fancy editing buttons, and the Bike Forums static Header and Footer wipes out half my screen so I have a tiny box to view the forum. I know most of the common BB code that I need for formatting, and can type them in manually.

I've wondered about the mobile version. I see where It can be selected, perhaps I'll try it. Mobile seems to work fine on my phone (chrome), although fonts are a bit mixed up.

Because https://cimg1.ibsrv.net is the image server for Internet Brands and this site.

What is the deal with Puppy? You can probably install Linux Mint.

Rollfast 06-10-18 08:37 PM

PS Sometimes this platform posts SO fast it gets done before me ;)

Bizman 06-10-18 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by IBThomas (Post 20383979)
Does this display problem happen on all your browsers. I'm concerned that our update may not be compatible with some users display settings because this is not a wide spread problem as far as I can tell.

I am not sure what you mean about all my browsers? If you mean safari that is what I use? I use this iPad for everything and the only places it acts up are this site, MTBR, and road bike review. This site worked fine before the upgrade, it is almost beyond usable concerning trying to look at or type things. I have tried all the little things you said\others said to check and still not any better. I do appreciate and want the thank you for your concern and efforts to try and help me get this fixed, its very much appreciated! I just want to be able to enjoy the site as it was before the upgrade!

IBThomas 06-11-18 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by Bizman (Post 20387768)
I am not sure what you mean about all my browsers? If you mean safari that is what I use? I use this iPad for everything and the only places it acts up are this site, MTBR, and road bike review. This site worked fine before the upgrade, it is almost beyond usable concerning trying to look at or type things. I have tried all the little things you said\others said to check and still not any better. I do appreciate and want the thank you for your concern and efforts to try and help me get this fixed, its very much appreciated! I just want to be able to enjoy the site as it was before the upgrade!

I was trying to find out if maybe this was a problem specific to the browser you were using or if it happened on other browsers like Chrome.
Are you using the mobile site or the full site? The full site is not optimized for tablets and the display gets a bit off.

Bizman 06-12-18 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by IBThomas (Post 20388380)
I was trying to find out if maybe this was a problem specific to the browser you were using or if it happened on other browsers like Chrome.
Are you using the mobile site or the full site? The full site is not optimized for tablets and the display gets a bit off.

Yes I am using the mobile site. I was having a terrible time just getting to this thread so I just replied through my email notification.

Bizman 06-12-18 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by Bizman (Post 20389790)

Yes I am using the mobile site. I was having a terrible time just getting to this thread so I just replied through my email notification.

I stand corrected, I thought I was in mobile but was in bikeforums NG. I tried mobile and that didn't have a good look? I am on default style now and it is looking and working a little better and will try this to see how it works out.

CliffordK 06-12-18 01:00 AM

Originally Posted by Rollfast (Post 20384687)
Because https://cimg1.ibsrv.net is the image server for Internet Brands and this site.

What is the deal with Puppy? You can probably install Linux Mint.

The issue is not with Puppy... or the OS for that matter.

Puppy is on this machine because it is running an extremely light OS version, and Bike Forums is a resource HOG. Both network speed, memory, and processing power.

It likely impacts other users that have limited memory, processing power, or a slow internet connection.

I did resolve the static header/footer issues I was having by turning off "Infinite Scroll" in the user options.

https://www.bikeforums.net/profile.php?do=editoptions

Odd, but I can no longer see the option now that it is turned off. :foo: But, it provided no benefits, and lots of headaches. :P

IBThomas 06-12-18 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by CliffordK (Post 20389810)
The issue is not with Puppy... or the OS for that matter.

Puppy is on this machine because it is running an extremely light OS version, and Bike Forums is a resource HOG. Both network speed, memory, and processing power.

It likely impacts other users that have limited memory, processing power, or a slow internet connection.

I did resolve the static header/footer issues I was having by turning off "Infinite Scroll" in the user options.

https://www.bikeforums.net/profile.php?do=editoptions

Odd, but I can no longer see the option now that it is turned off. :foo: But, it provided no benefits, and lots of headaches. :P

We just deployed a bit of a server upgrade. hopefully this help mitigate some of the problems with BikeForums hogging up resources.