Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   BMX (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   First time riding BMX (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1199439)

asad000003 04-26-20 02:12 PM

First time riding BMX

When was the first time you bought and rode BMX. Mine was in late 80s and I was the coolest kid in my class. Wish my parents had taken some pictures. No Kodak scans to remember the golden days.

TSte 04-29-20 12:54 AM

My first time on a BMX was when I was around 15 years old. Had been riding bicycles for years and was starting to do all the crazy sh*t kids do with a Mountain Bike. In our group there was a guy who had a BMX and I decided to test it just for fun and to see if it was something for me. Later that day, when I was getting more confident with the bike I decided to try some stuff out, like tricks and of course I fell down. But I lovd it and ended it and ended up buying a BMX for me as well (this was around 2011).

asad000003 04-30-20 01:29 PM

TSte thats awesome bro. Do you still ride the same BMX or have you moved on to something else?

ebkr200 05-30-20 11:02 PM

how are the hoffmans holding up?

camjr 06-09-20 12:38 PM

Very early 80's. First on a blue Mongoose with Motomags, later replaced with Tuff II's, then a chrome Supergoose with Z-Rims.

Cheers.

Darth Lefty 06-10-20 03:41 PM

My first pedal bike in 1982 or so was a silver Schwinn with black handlebars. I looked up the model once but I forget... I was five. My grandad traded out the crankset for a shorter one. I rode it until I got a Murray 18-speed 24" MTB. I guess it was really only "my" bike for about five years but it feels like longer... everything feels consequential to a little kid.

Rachel Ross 06-20-20 05:03 AM

my first one was in 90, I still remember that bike

arthurmorgan 06-23-20 02:25 AM

It wasn't the best experience i must say

saddlesniffer 06-23-20 05:22 PM

For me it was a blue Mongoose motomag with alloy rims. Then switched to an 1980 Diamondback med pro frame in chrome. That bike was tits. Then it got stolen.

KatieC 07-07-20 05:20 AM

I started riding cheap Huffy BMX style bikes when I was around 3 years old. In the early 80s BMX was all the rage and no kid wanted to be riding anything other than a BMX bike. I was (and still am) a total tomboy and I had to have one.

When I was 11, a local BMX racing family found support with the NBL (are they even around d anymore?) and built a real BMX track at our neighborhood park. I befriended them since I was super interested in BMX and helped with some of the building. I became an NBL member (required to race on the track) and started racing. I quickly discovered that my crappy Huffy was piece of junk and not very well suited to racing. One of the families that raced at the track sold me their son's old GT something or other for $40. My BMX racing career started that day.

I did BMX racing from the age of 11 to 16, until I got my first job and didn't feel like I had time for it anymore. But in the 5 years that I did it, I loved it! I met some really great families, learned how to operate some pieces of heavy equipment helping out with track maintenance, and got to travel to some regional and national events with other families.

Sometimes I still think about going out to the local track and trying racing again.