Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   The most vulnerable aspect of a bike with this rider? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1206569)

branko_76 07-04-20 11:27 AM

The most vulnerable aspect of a bike with this rider?

If Arnold were to tear ass on a road bike, would anything break? What would break first?

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...f192c83ca3.png

krecik 07-04-20 11:55 AM

:)

rollagain 07-04-20 12:17 PM

I think he'd maybe rip the handlebars off. If that's the bike you're specifying, I think they're the weakest part of it.

Maybe break the chain.

rosefarts 07-04-20 12:17 PM

Probably his head, given the lack of helmet.

Can you imagine riding further than around the block with a lifting belt on?

Cougrrcj 07-04-20 12:36 PM

He'd probably break a crank arm before anything.

Shiiii... I used to ride my all-steel bikes all over BITD to the point where I had 'Earl Campbell thighs' - Could leg press over 800 pounds x 10 reps with ease. Football coach saw me doing that and asked why I wasn't on the football team -- I was 5'7 and 130 pounds, 42" chest, 26" waist, and 26" thighs... "...and do what?" was my reply... "...break in half when a 280-pound lineman hits me? No thanks"

I'm also trying to figure out what brand bike that is/was...

FiftySix 07-04-20 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by Cougrrcj (Post 21568979)
He'd probably break a crank arm before anything.

Shiiii... I used to ride my all-steel bikes all over BITD to the point where I had 'Earl Campbell thighs' - Could leg press over 800 pounds x 10 reps with ease. Football coach saw me doing that and asked why I wasn't on the football team -- I was 5'7 and 130 pounds, 42" chest, 26" waist, and 26" thighs... "...and do what?" was my reply... "...break in half when a 280-pound lineman hits me? No thanks"

I'm also trying to figure out what brand bike that is/was...

You should've played futbol.

woodcraft 07-04-20 01:05 PM

This guy broke the chain.

indyfabz 07-04-20 01:14 PM

Within the last year or so there was a thread that turned into one of photos of famous people riding bikes. That Ahnuld photo was included.

FiftySix 07-04-20 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by Cougrrcj (Post 21569000)
Back then (45+ yrs ago) when men were men - we didn't play sissyball (aka soccer) ;) Only the girls had a soccer team.

I was born in '65 and played soccer from 1976 to 1997. My dad was a high school football, baseball, and basketball coach from something like 1960 to the mid '70s and didn't give soccer consideration at all, other than I was doing something athletic. :lol:

AllWeatherJeff 07-04-20 01:41 PM

Whiplash and car fenders from all the people gawking in passing cars...

Cougrrcj 07-04-20 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by FiftySix (Post 21569041)
I was born in '65 and played soccer from 1976 to 1997. My dad was a high school football, baseball, and basketball coach from something like 1960 to the mid '70s and didn't give soccer consideration at all, other than I was doing something athletic. :lol:

I was born a decade earlier - and since I was riding my bike all over to cut grass for a few bucks from April - October, I didn't have time for sports - although I DID join the (wintertime high school sport) of swimming - and yes, I rode my bike to practice - had to be in the water by 6am - and this was in Cleveland winters! My hair would freeze between the pool we used and the high school! Oh, I did try wrestling one year in Jr high, but crawling over a sweaty guy wasn't my thing, lol!

Pop N Wood 07-04-20 02:59 PM

On a bike like that? Rims typically.

Probably wearing a weight belt because he was using the bike for transportation and not sport.

Back in the day weightlifters didn't ride for cardio. Was considered counter productive for building muscle mass. Arnold worked out in Venice Beach when he was an up and comer. My guess he just cruised the bike path taking in the sights. Believe me, lots to see on the LA beach path.

Trakhak 07-04-20 04:39 PM

Pratt 07-04-20 04:45 PM

His ankle, when he catches his shoelace in the chain?

CliffordK 07-04-20 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by woodcraft (Post 21569029)

It has been a while since I watched the video, but that was what I immediately thought of.

Cool thing was the track guy did very well when it was flat (other than the broken chain), but he was hurting on the hill climb.

Likewise, the vintage Arnold may well have been able to rip it up on the level, but might have been left in the dust climbing.

Keep in mind the new Arnold doesn't quite look the same at 72 years old.

https://image.cnbcfm.com/api/v1/imag...1438arnold.jpg

onsay99 07-04-20 07:20 PM

Looks like the new bike has a pinion drive gearbox.

Tacoenthusiast 07-04-20 08:48 PM

The real weak point is that bike will get your maids bike pregnant

trailangel 07-04-20 10:03 PM

:roflmao2:

Homebrew01 07-05-20 08:16 AM

Top Track sprinter's legs are bigger than his. Arnold's legs look like a typical crit rider.

FiftySix 07-05-20 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by Cougrrcj (Post 21569179)
I was born a decade earlier - and since I was riding my bike all over to cut grass for a few bucks from April - October, I didn't have time for sports - although I DID join the (wintertime high school sport) of swimming - and yes, I rode my bike to practice - had to be in the water by 6am - and this was in Cleveland winters! My hair would freeze between the pool we used and the high school! Oh, I did try wrestling one year in Jr high, but crawling over a sweaty guy wasn't my thing, lol!

I cut some yards back in the day, but my pre-16 year old income was made mostly by throwing papers for the Houston Chronicle on my bicycle. Making door to door collections was the real work compared to throwing the paper. :o

Tacoenthusiast 07-05-20 12:09 PM

Side note, "tear ass" I don't think means the same thing where I'm from that the op is from

If Arnold really tore ass the victim would be his shorts

rollagain 07-05-20 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by Pratt (Post 21569384)
His ankle, when he catches his shoelace in the chain?

Nope. Shoelace loses that one.

General Geoff 07-05-20 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by onsay99 (Post 21569586)
Looks like the new bike has a pinion drive gearbox.

Nah, that's a mid drive electric motor. If it was a Pinion gearbox, it wouldn't have a rear derailleur.

Pop N Wood 07-05-20 02:01 PM

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...-standard.html

https://ebiketips.road.cc/content/ne...berg-on-custom

veganbikes 07-05-20 05:50 PM

It looks like he is running a Brose motor. I couldn't find info on the Matchless website and didn't want to look but if he is using something of quality Brose would be an excellent pick and with the odd shaped battery it is a whole possibility as they don't have a proprietary battery or display so sky is the limit.

For those looking for a more natural e-bike feeling Brose does deliver a very smooth more natural ride. Plus with the S motor you have really high torque for getting up hills.

For those who dislike E-bikes, go out and ride one of quality with a Bosch, Brose or Shimano motor or maybe one of the new SL models from Specialized and just tell me you didn't have even just a little modicum of fun?!

Would love to see young Arnie doing some sprints.