Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Has anyone here cut back on long rides in order to diversify your fitness life? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1275901)

grantelmwood 06-26-23 02:53 PM

Has anyone here cut back on long rides in order to diversify your fitness life?

I went for a 30 minute ride today. 7 miles. 500 ft elevation with a few 10% hills. Was a nice workout.
More importantly, this was not the defining activity of the day, but merely a warmup.
If I biked 20 miles, I suspect it would be the only fitness of my day.
What was the nature of your tradeoff optimization ?

Koyote 06-26-23 03:06 PM

Seriously, is there some contest – – with a prize for the person who starts the most threads? Where do I find the details? I’d love to compete.

there must be such a contest… Right? I mean, I don’t know how else to explain this place lately.

indyfabz 06-26-23 03:13 PM

Love the copy and paste from the tread title.

indyfabz 06-26-23 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by Koyote (Post 22935590)
Seriously, is there some contest – – with a prize for the person who starts the most threads? Where do I find the details? I’d love to compete.

there must be such a contest… Right? I mean, I don’t know how else to explain this place lately.

The call girl spammer takes 1st. prize. This guy takes second. :roflmao2:

GeezyRider 06-26-23 03:17 PM

Maybe Larry should contact the mods about this.

Eric F 06-26-23 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by grantelmwood (Post 22935576)

I'm more inclined to cut back on other things so I can ride longer.

veganbikes 06-26-23 03:46 PM

"You need to diversify your bonds, ninja" - Wu Tang Financial.

Ride long, ride short, ride fast, ride slow, just freakin' ride jeez.

shelbyfv 06-26-23 04:05 PM

Seven miles hardly counts as a ride for exercise and few here would consider 20 miles to be a "long" ride. Though like his predecessors, OP is unlikely to own a bike. The spawn of Che seem as difficult to eradicate as the Abu girls.

Eric F 06-26-23 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by shelbyfv (Post 22935671)
Seven miles hardly counts as a ride for exercise and few here would consider 20 miles to be a "long" ride.

To be fair, it depends on the kind of ride. On my MTB or gravel bike, 20 miles can be very demanding. One of my frequent weekday evening rides is 9 miles. It takes me just under an hour of ride time. On the road bike, however, 20 miles is probably an easy day.

shelbyfv 06-26-23 04:32 PM

Yes, I stand corrected, OP's virtual ride could have been offroad. :beer:

genejockey 06-26-23 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 22935615)
I'm more inclined to cut back on other things so I can ride longer.

Like, say, work.

Eric F 06-26-23 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22935719)
Like, say, work.

When I can, you betcha.

Eric F 06-26-23 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by shelbyfv (Post 22935709)
Yes, I stand corrected, OP's virtual ride could have been offroad. :beer:

Possible, I guess, but I wouldn't bet on it. 7 miles in 30 minutes is probably not a MTB ride, unless it's really damn flat. In my area, MTB rides tend to average around 10mph.

bruce19 06-26-23 05:12 PM

These days I am riding about an hour a day @ 15 mph about 3-4 days/week. My rides are more like TTs than recreational rides. In the past I did about 100 miles/week at varying paces. I also am spending more time in the gym concentrating on upper body strength. FWIW I just turned 77 on Juneteenth.

3alarmer 06-26-23 06:04 PM

...I just added back in short jogs of about 30 minutes down on the perimeter grass of the playing field (soccer and baseball) near my house.
Running is still stupid, but it does allow another form of interval training that is pretty time efficient. If time efficiency is a concern. :)

skidder 06-26-23 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by Koyote (Post 22935590)

More likely a writer for a bicycling-related publication and trying to find a topic of interest, ask you a few questions that you'll answer, then use that Q & A to develop and article that can be published. All from the comfort of the recliner without having to turn a crank.

Koyote 06-26-23 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by skidder (Post 22935797)
More likely a writer for a bicycling-related publication and trying to find a topic of interest, ask you a few questions that you'll answer, then use that Q & A to develop and article that can be published. All from the comfort of the recliner without having to turn a crank.

That’s not how it works.

PeteHski 06-26-23 06:20 PM

That sounds like the least likely explanation.

10 Wheels 06-26-23 06:38 PM

2000 mile month
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...595ef303a1.jpg

rsbob 06-26-23 08:53 PM

I vary my rides quite a bit. During the week, I do a few days of hills (climbing 2000’ to 3000’) and a few days of fast flats, keeping both under 40 or so miles. After hill climbing days I will either take a rest day or slow recovery ride. On the weekend, I will do a longer ride 50-60+. By not doing a long ride every day, I look forward to them and have trained the week before to make the longer ride more enjoyable/easy.

Troul 06-26-23 09:00 PM

no. I like to over do it until I am burnt out. Still not there with cycling!

if there were a built in pedaling device for a toilet, would you constitute a poop as exercise?

rsbob 06-26-23 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by Troul (Post 22935945)

if there were a built in pedaling device for a toilet, would you constitute a poop as exercise?

You? The marathon man has nothing on you.

A toilet with pedals? You may be burnt out on something other than cycling? :D

veganbikes 06-26-23 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by Troul (Post 22935945)

It might help you release. I don't know of anything specific to the toilet but I do know there are under desk pedaling machines one could potentially use it on the crapper. I know it is a joke but it might not be the worst idea.

Eric F 06-26-23 11:50 PM

Based on the history of the OP, I don’t think that’s very likely.

mstateglfr 06-27-23 05:56 AM

I will end this year with the fewest miles ridding since 2015 or 2014. Busy time in my life, and my fitness is more diverse for sure.
On the really cool flipside, my oldest is now good enough to hold her own in pickup volleyball with adult men/women and teen boys so we are playing weekly together. Having coached her thru the years in HS and club has been fun, but getting to play with her is special.

Ill take that over riding every day of the week...though my body would fall apart if it were every day!