Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   It's a bicycle parts race! (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1197543)

Digger Goreman 04-06-20 02:37 PM

It's a bicycle parts race!

:thumb:UPS from Salt Lake City, Utah:thumb:.

:DFedEx from Tyler, Texas:D

Ladies and Gents place yer bets!!!

UPS started Apr 3, and has made it to checkpoints in Colorado, Kansas, Missouri, and JUST checked in from Nashville, Tennessee :eek:

FedEx started today:p

UPS estimates Thursday and FedEx estimates Wednesday....

Who will win the race?!:giver:​​​​​​​

​​​

Wildwood 04-06-20 02:46 PM

Last month DHL from UK to Seattle area was 3 days.
An invoiced/paid order from Bay Area, CA didn't ship for a week then USPS took 4 days (but it was a free ship). :rolleyes:

2cam16 04-06-20 04:23 PM

Put a poll up top! lol
I'm going for the purple and orange only because I worked there for years. :p

FiftySix 04-06-20 06:01 PM

As long as the USPS isn't involved, I'll put 5 tube patches on FedEx to Win.

:giver:

Digger Goreman 04-06-20 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by FiftySix (Post 21404273)
As long as the USPS isn't involved, I'll put 5 tube patches on FedEx to Win.

:giver:

Yeah, that's the wild card.... ;)

UPS has an Axiom Lowrider Rack, while FedEx has a Cobb Randee Saddle. Packages about the same size....

Digger Goreman 04-06-20 07:51 PM

UPS left Nashville at 3pm... and FedEx is still behind the starting line! Can the Red and Blue really do it in two days? Are they relying on Brown to two stage in Atlanta? If UPS doesn't do the Hapeville-Doraville two step, it's all over for FedEx :eek:

Wttnwa 04-06-20 08:01 PM

I ordered Shifters and Brake Levers on the 31st from Amazon and on the 1st, I got a notice that they had shipped USPS and that is the last notification that is on Amazons site. I bet the next notification will be when and if they arrive.

I am going to bet on UPS;

veganbikes 04-06-20 08:44 PM

My stuff is already here bought it at the bike shop and brought it home the same day : )

Jeff Bezos doesn't need our money any more, he is just fine without but your local businesses who are staying open to support you could use the support from you as well!

Wttnwa 04-06-20 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by veganbikes (Post 21404538)
your local businesses who are staying open to support you could use the support from you as well!

My local bike shop told me that I couldn’t update the shifters and it would be better to just sell mine and buy a new one. They were wrong, it is hard to do business with some people.

veganbikes 04-06-20 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by Wttnwa (Post 21404584)
My local bike shop told me that I couldn’t update the shifters and it would be better to just sell mine and buy a new one. They were wrong, it is hard to do business with some people.

So it sounds like they told you, you could get new shifters. It seems like you went and got new shifters.

They might have said the shifters you are looking at are not compatible with your derailleurs which is quite common especially once we hit 10 speed and 11 speed where Shimano started doing DynaSys on their mountain stuff which was incompatible with road. Or it could be for SRAM and their X Actuation or Exact Actuation or 1:1 or something like that., Or they could have said your shifters are shot which happens a lot and yes sometimes you can flush them and get a little life out of them and certainly with old vintage stuff you can take the time to pull it apart and hope you can get it back together and hope it then works but that takes time and time is money.

You can always change out shifters but the big thing is compatibility. Friction can generally work with many derailleurs but as the spacing gets narrower it can be hard to shift well with friction.You can do electronic assuming you have the correct derailleurs and other parts of the system but with Shimano for instance you cannot mix road and mountain derailleurs in Di2 and 10 speed Dura Ace cannot be used with newer Di2 and with SRAM some of the older eTap stuff is incompatible with AXS. Plus a whole host of other issues you can run into with different systems. Sometimes you can buy products to sort of kind of make it work but honestly I want something that works well without a lot of faff and most shops will say the same because they know you don't want a lot of faff either nobody really does.

Nyah 04-06-20 11:11 PM

USPS also started April 3rd, but I received it today, April 6. US Postal Service wins! (as usual).

Ordered direct from Wald. I boycott Damnazon.

JayKay3000 04-06-20 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by veganbikes (Post 21404538)
My stuff is already here bought it at the bike shop and brought it home the same day : )

My lbs is closed at the moment :(

Ross520 04-07-20 02:35 AM

Originally Posted by Wildwood (Post 21403955)
Last month DHL from UK to Seattle area was 3 days.
An invoiced/paid order from Bay Area, CA didn't ship for a week then USPS took 4 days (but it was a free ship). :rolleyes:

Had a similar experience with DHL recently. From the UK (because apparently you can't get Fulcrum wheels in the US) to Tucson, AZ, it only took 3 days. And the shipping was free!

How is DHL able to ship so quickly, even in a pandemic?

Digger Goreman 04-07-20 06:55 AM

Thanks for the commentery, friends... and back to the race:

Overnight, UPS did a fancy diversion through Montgomery and into Atlanta! Will it be today? Tomorrow? Thursday? Is Brown playing Hare to FedEx's tortoise?

Meanwhile, Fed has left Hutchins, Texas....

Digger Goreman 04-07-20 05:51 PM

While UPS is touring the Big Peach, FedEx has closed the distance and is rolling through Oxford, Alabama :eek:

AndreyT 04-07-20 06:05 PM

FYI, BikeForums has sections with dedicated subforums, created specifically for situations when someone wants to start a nonsensical off-topic thread, i.e. a thread that is not welcome in bicycle-specific parts of the site.

Paul Barnard 04-07-20 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by AndreyT (Post 21406172)
FYI, BikeForums has sections with dedicated subforums, created specifically for situations when someone wants to start a nonsensical off-topic thread, i.e. a thread that is not welcome in bicycle-specific parts of the site.

Right on. Fun, lighthearted topics about bicycle parts shipping have no place here.

Paul Barnard 04-07-20 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by Digger Goreman (Post 21404305)
Yeah, that's the wild card.... ;)

UPS has an Axiom Lowrider Rack, while FedEx has a Cobb Randee Saddle. Packages about the same size....

I bought a Randee last week. I did a 30 mile ride on it. I think it's going to end up being pretty good. Who did you get yours from and how much?

Ross520 04-07-20 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by AndreyT (Post 21406172)

Loosen up... It's a fun thread, in a not-so-fun time. Would you rather read another "Help me choose a bike" thread?

Digger Goreman 04-08-20 06:22 AM

The tension mounts, fans, as UPS does the predictable two-step to Doraville... enabling FedEx to fire up the NOS! The "tortoise" has the lead, radioing in confirmation of intent to deliver TODAY!!!

Whatever will Brown do?!

Digger Goreman 04-08-20 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by Paul Barnard (Post 21406200)
I bought a Randee last week. I did a 30 mile ride on it. I think it's going to end up being pretty good. Who did you get yours from and how much?

Of all places: ShopGoodWill.com
New item, delivered total, $31 USD. Went through Paypal, just in case, but feel confidant. Apparently they received boxes of new old stock (my guess).

Phil_gretz 04-08-20 07:06 AM

All of my bike parts take a slow boat from China...

I'm not in a rush for anything. I enjoy paying the lowest conceivable price.

Digger Goreman 04-08-20 11:28 AM

:eek:UPS INEXPLICABLLY TRANSFERS TO USPS:eek:

Whiz on the fire and call in the dogs, boys... Brown has gone DOWN!!! :injured:

FiftySix 04-08-20 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by Digger Goreman (Post 21407496)
:eek:UPS INEXPLICABLLY TRANSFERS TO USPS:eek:

Whiz on the fire and call in the dogs, boys... Brown has gone DOWN!!! :injured:

Damn. That could turn out to be a DNF.
:deadhorse:

Digger Goreman 04-08-20 12:30 PM

Yeah, never hand the wheels to a weaker team.... :o

FedEx has confirmed package on truck for delivery and has champagne glasses on hand!

Looks like the turtle wins again! :ride: