Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Commuting (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Ireland May Go Hi-Vis (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1036989)

Colorado Kid 11-02-15 06:13 PM

Ireland May Go Hi-Vis

Ireland may make high visibility clothing mandatory for cyclists, pedestrians and dog-walkers : TreeHugger

urbanescapee 11-02-15 09:19 PM

When I was there this past summer, I was surprised to see how many people were out walking and riding with hi-vis. I saw so many that I thought maybe it was a legal obligation. But with the conditions as bad as they were in the summer, I can imagine how much worse it must be in the winter. In that case I would definitely be wearing hi-vis whether or not it was required. But it does suck be told you must wear it even if you don't wanna.

catgita 11-03-15 12:38 AM

So are you to blame for being hit while walking from your car to the pub? Can you go out of doors at all without safety clothing? How about requiring LIDAR in all cars instead?

Trevtassie 11-03-15 02:52 AM

Wonder if they are going to ban silver and black cars too?

TriDanny47 11-03-15 05:13 AM

I hate the "nanny state" thing - but as a rider I always make sure I'm easy to see. As a vehicle driver I think it's not a bad idea though.

Saturday night just after dusk, driving, I had to execute a left turn on a busy road with no dedicated left turn light, bad weather, rain and wind, into my turn with oncoming traffic further back - 2 adults and 2 kids in the crosswalk wearing really dark clothing and no street lighting at that intersection - never would have started to turn in the first place if I could have seen them beforehand.

I ride a lot at night - and have seen a lot of "casual" cyclists in dark clothing, no lights, no helmet out there on streets and paths. Idiots.

BobbyG 11-03-15 07:45 AM

+1 I'm lit up like the 8th night of Chanukah, and when I narrowly avoid ninja bikers and peds walking or riding where they shouldn't be, I am thankful (for me and them) that I'm not in my car.

bmthom.gis 11-03-15 08:20 AM

I wore hi vis today, but really that's only incidental. I have lights, two in the front, two in the back. If a motorist won't see those, they won't happen to notice if I am wearing some bright colored clothing.

velocity 11-03-15 10:41 AM

It gives me a reason for more bike shopping! Retail therapy! Its been kicked around here for night time riding. I think it would be obvious that if you ride at night, even walk, you need to be seen and don't need a law to do it. Now if all cars had breathalyzer tests to start the car we could save even more lives. :) With self driving Google cars and GPS its a matter of time till people are not allowed to take control of a car on the city streets because they can not be trusted to drive it.

Eric S. 11-03-15 01:58 PM

I first became aware of "slap bands" when a friend that had been to Belarus visited. He had a couple on his back pack and said that they were required for pedestrians there.

GovernorSilver 11-03-15 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by catgita (Post 18290351)
So are you to blame for being hit while walking from your car to the pub? Can you go out of doors at all without safety clothing?

That's what I'm wondering about too - will this new law result in more pedestrians and cyclist getting hit by motorists without appropriate punishment for said motorists?

"There's no way I could have hit the pedestrian, Officer, because he was wearing hi-vis gear! It's his fault he hit my car with his head!"