Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Pills and Ills (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=337)
-   -   Deordorant burning my armpits! (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1170468)

Hondo Gravel 04-12-19 08:17 PM

Deordorant burning my armpits!

WTH is this a 50+ thing? I have tried several different brands of deodorant and my armpits get burned. Do I have toxic sweat? I’m a going to have spontaneous combustion? Did the Walmart lady cast a spell on me? I guess I will keep searching for a brand that doesn’t burn my skin. Any suggestions? Don’t worry you won’t offend me :lol:

Bmach 04-12-19 08:21 PM

Find one with alhoe

DrIsotope 04-12-19 08:40 PM

Deodorant or anti-perspirant? My daughter and I cannot wear anti-perspirant at all. She gets red bumps, I just itch like crazy. She just uses good old-fashioned Speed Stick deodorant, I've had decent luck with Degree deodorant ever since Gillette discontinued their gel deodorant, which was the best I ever used. I have to put the "48 hour protection" Degree on twice a day. Sigh.

Hondo Gravel 04-12-19 09:05 PM

deodorant / antiperspirant . I will try Degree like you suggested.

Cyclist0108 04-12-19 09:24 PM

I gave it up at about age 20. Just clean yourself with soap and water.

I was in an undergraduate molecular biology lab course and we did the Aims test on my deodorant, and it was highly mutagenic. Stay away.

It gives me a hideous rash.

If your arm pits start to smell, cut the hair, and put antibiotic cream in there.

tyrion 04-12-19 09:46 PM

Gold Bond powder. It's not as deodorizing as regular deodorant but it's better than nothing.

BobbyG 04-13-19 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by Hondo Gravel (Post 20882475)
WTH is this a 50+ thing? I have tried several different brands of deodorant and my armpits get burned. Do I have toxic sweat? I’m a going to have spontaneous combustion? Did the Walmart lady cast a spell on me? I guess I will keep searching for a brand that doesn’t burn my skin. Any suggestions? Don’t worry you won’t offend me :lol:

I had that issue in my 40s. I found Mitchum deoderant gel worked and didn't irritate. I used that for a few years. Now I just use regular deoderant and haven't had any of the old problems. I haven't bought mitchum in 10 years so I don;t know i they still make it the same way.

Nessism 04-13-19 08:11 AM

Regular style Old Spice works for me but the newer High Endurance formula gives me a rash.

Carbonfiberboy 04-13-19 07:39 PM

Oh good grief. I haven't used deodorant since I was in high school. If you don't use it, you don't smell bad. I don't think I know anyone who uses it.

kingston 04-13-19 08:19 PM

I use an alum block

CliffordK 04-13-19 08:34 PM

OLD Spice?

I've also given up on deodorants. Of course, not around people that care a lot. But also regular bathing.

Most of my acquaintances are very much against perfumes.

I think antiperspirants and deodorants are not exactly the same.

https://thompsontee.com/blog/deodora...ntiperspirant/

It is quite possible that you would react to some ingredients such as perfumes or aluminum salts, but not others. I'd look for either pure antiperspirants (unscented), or pure deodorants (perfume + antibacterials). Or even pure antibacterial creams.

Perhaps first allow any inflammation to settle down before the experiment.

CliffordK 04-13-19 08:39 PM

You might also look at absorption of aluminum (including transdermal), and health effects. I've decided to minimize my exposure to aluminum containing baking powder, and aluminum containing antiperspirants.

Trsnrtr 04-14-19 09:04 AM

I can't use anti-perspirants. I do use Mennen deodorants and I've never had a problem with them and my wife likes the pleasing scent.

DrIsotope 04-14-19 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy (Post 20883544)
Oh good grief. I haven't used deodorant since I was in high school. If you don't use it, you don't smell bad. I don't think I know anyone who uses it.

Body chemistry differs from person to person. I don't specifically wear deodorant for myself, I wear it so as not to destroy the senses of those around me. If I don't wear deodorant, I don't just smell bad-- I can clear a room. I know this because no deodorant can withstand the length of a typical bike ride for me. By the time I get home, it's... pungent. Add to that the smell of sweat trapped in synthetic fibers, and as the wife says, "Just go directly to the shower. Don't stop for anything else."

DorkDisk 04-14-19 11:29 AM

Hi. Ive been using Starling deodorants lately with great luck. They smell nice and come in large sizes. If you have allergies, these are the ones to get also.

www.buystarling.com

fietsbob 04-14-19 12:45 PM

just wash with soap and water and lay off the chemicals ... if you have them irritating your skin..

canklecat 04-14-19 03:40 PM

Don't use anti-perspirants. They're thwarting your body's natural function. That sweat has to go somewhere or it can warp the body's natural cooling function, especially before a workout. Years ago I played around with anti-perspirants to demonstrate the effect. If I used them on the armpits, my chest would sweat. If I applied them to my chest, my armpits would sweat worse. Theoretically if I applied anti-perspirant to my entire body I'd either pant like a dog or pass out from heat exhaustion.

Some deodorants are fine. Find one that works without irritation.

But you don't need either before a workout. After a workout, or before going to work or public functions, try a deodorant soap like Zest.

I ride with a lot of sweaty cyclists, men and women. We humans really don't smell that bad. On the rare occasions when someone who's clean but smells funky when they sweat, it usually due to illness, diet or smoking. Smokers tend to emit a metallic funk odor, no matter how clean they are. Even my ex-wife had that funky metallic odor after a long day working in a non-air conditioned warehouse. She was a smoker. When she stopped smoking, the odor stopped.

pdlamb 04-15-19 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by CliffordK (Post 20883614)
OLD Spice?.

I used Old Spice when I was younger. Now that I'm older, I'm holding out for them to come out with YOUNG spice. :)

Nessism 04-15-19 09:34 AM

Remind me to never befriend any of you guys that don't use deodorant/antiperspirant. A skunk can't smell their own hole and you guys can't either.:innocent:

Hondo Gravel 04-17-19 07:42 PM

I ditch the deodorant antiperspirant and shower with antibacterial Dial soap. No more rash or irritated arm pits. If I stink then don’t smell me :lol:

berner 04-18-19 06:18 AM

As a boy who worked on a dairy farm during high school years, deodorant would not have helped so I never developed the habit. You could always tell the farm boys in school - we all smelled like cow.

Lemond1985 04-18-19 06:56 AM

I'm kinda leading toward the Walmart witchcraft theory, seems make the most sense to me. But could the spell have been cast by a lady at some other store? I'm hoping we can be logical about this.

The reason I ask is because in general, I think Walmart does a decent job of keeping the amount of sorcery, spells, incantations and witchcraft going on in their stores down to an acceptable level. Especially compared to going into a 99 cent store during the middle of the day, the specter of evil is quite palpable in a place like that.

Hondo Gravel 04-18-19 09:43 AM

Not much choice in Hondo but there is a Dollar Tree and a Dollar General and there are some old Hispanic ladies that are Brujas aka witches that can cast spells. I went to a Brujas when I was feeling bad and she cured me with some kind of healing magic. I don’t know what she did but it worked.

Bigbus 04-18-19 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by Hondo Gravel (Post 20890133)
Not much choice in Hondo but there is a Dollar Tree and a Dollar General and there are some old Hispanic ladies that are Brujas aka witches that can cast spells. I went to a Brujas when I was feeling bad and she cured me with some kind of healing magic. I don’t know what she did but it worked.

I created a few broughhas in my day, does that count?

jandnvh 04-19-19 01:30 PM

I started itching too. Now I’m using Nasanta - get it from Amazon. It is not anti-perspirant. Doesn’t make me itch.

Flip Flop Rider 04-20-19 06:33 PM

Mennen speed stick is a pretty mild deodorant that works great and doesn't irritate me at least

TiHabanero 04-23-19 06:21 PM

Years ago I got a bar of Grandpa's Pine Tar soap with a purchase from Rivendell and have been using it ever since. I never have to use deodorant when I wash with it. My wife got me a 1 pound bar of Dick Cannon soap for Xmas. It, too, seems to work really well with my body chemistry and I don't need to use deodorant. I like both equally well. The Pine Tar soap has a strong odor, one that I find pleasing. Dick Cannon soap has a light scent to it when using, but it does not stay at all and rinses away.