Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=248)
-   -   Any Clydes out there with a stock Surly Troll? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=981644)

BigMo59 11-14-14 01:24 PM

Any Clydes out there with a stock Surly Troll?

I've been looking at new bikes and the Trek Shift 4 is rated up to 350#. I have ridden one and it's nice but I keep looking at the Surly Troll. I like the looks of the bike but nobody around my area stocks them. I'm 325# and I think it'd be ok but would just like to get some opinions if I could. Thanks, Joe

c_m_shooter 11-14-14 05:49 PM

Are you going to beat it on trails or road ride it? Surly stock builds are pretty stout. You should be fine, but at your weight any machine built rear wheel is a gamble.

BigMo59 11-14-14 08:43 PM

Mainly just ride rail trails;mostly paved. I ride 4-5 times a week 15-20 each ride, as of now on a Townie but would like to have something just a little more "longer ride" friendly. Tried out a stock LHT but I'm not ready for drop bars.

c_m_shooter 11-15-14 06:15 AM

I think it will do fine. I am only about 210, but I beat the crap out of my Cross check for years before I had rear wheel issues; jumps, drops, rocks, trees, loaded touring, and hopping cattleguards while loaded touring. I drilled the rims of my Pug with a hole saw to save weight and run it into and over every rock I see on the trail; 2 years and haven't had to true it yet.

MRT2 11-15-14 10:21 AM

I don't own one but I have seen them, and the similar Ogre, at my LBS. Looks like a great do anything bike. Particularly like the versatile Jones loop handlebar that comes stock on these bikes. Looks like it would make for an excellent all road touring bike.

indyfabz 11-15-14 11:10 AM

If you are worried about the rear wheel, have the shop properly tension and stress relive it before it leaves the store. I am fortunate to have access to a shop staffed by some people who actually tour. My 2011 LHT has been over some rough roads, including unpaved mountain passes in Montana, with a full load. The rear wheel have never needed truing.

MRT2 11-15-14 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 17309781)
If you are worried about the rear wheel, have the shop properly tension and stress relive it before it leaves the store. I am fortunate to have access to a shop staffed by some people who actually tour. My 2011 LHT has been over some rough roads, including unpaved mountain passes in Montana, with a full load. The rear wheel have never needed truing.

Build quality of the wheels looks decent, though at over 300#, would think a 36 spoke wheel would be better.

Terryble 11-15-14 11:59 AM

I went the Troll route and it was fine at 504. I ended up upgrading the front fork and wheels but the stock ones are still good, it was a personal choice. That was just riding on city trails.

wvridgerider 11-16-14 05:18 PM

I have been riding this Karate Monkey for two years now, all off road, and I weigh 280
http://i1148.photobucket.com/albums/...ps2b0794e5.jpg

wvridgerider 11-16-14 05:20 PM

Oh yea, this is the first wheels I ever built. I have to tweak them now and then.

BigMo59 11-16-14 05:57 PM

I appreciate all the responses. MRT2, I know your right about the 36 spoke count. I haven't talked to the LBS about a wheel build for the rear before I ever get it but I will. I guess the other option would be to gamble on the stock wheel and see how it hold up. I was thinking maybe, since it has DT spokes and get the shop to pre-tension it, that it may hold up. The Trek shift 4 has a 36 spoke count with 13 gauge spokes but the Troll just looks like it'd be more fun to ride! Thanks again,

SCEvan 11-25-14 10:45 AM

I contacted Surly a few weeks ago about weight limit's, this was the response.

Our official weight limit for our bikes is 300lbs. That’s where our warranty ends, but that doesn’t mean that people over that line can’t ride and enjoy a Surly. It just means that the parts will have a more limited lifespan and warranties may not be possible.

Best of luck!

BigMo59 11-25-14 07:51 PM

I appreciate that info. I found somewhere that their "limit" is 300. I at 320 so a little over. I'm hoping to be under 300 by spring but we'll see.
'