Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Commuting (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   New short commute, but with a problem. (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1227564)

Alligator 04-05-21 06:47 PM

New short commute, but with a problem.

I have a new job that only has a 2.5 mile commute. Great, right? Well, my employer will not let me bring my bike inside. The best location I can lock it up is under a concrete structure, so it has some direct rain protection (but no protection from the side). I have a fear that my bike will rust the longer I commute to work.

I sold my lesser quality bikes, and now I have only bikes I really like that work well. I don’t want them to degrade, but I really want to commute.

What are my options? Buy another inexpensive bike? Use a bike cover? Live with rust and replace components as they degraded? Is there anything else I’m missing?

What do you do if you have to park outside in the elements?

DiegoFrogs 04-05-21 07:16 PM

"Under a roof" is a pretty good option. I'd be surprised if you had problems with accelerated corrosion with some routine wiping-down, lubrication and maintenance.

sam21fire 04-05-21 08:08 PM

I'm allowed to park mine inside, but it gets just as wet (and snowy/salty) when I ride to work in the rain/snow as it would parked outside. As previously mentioned, wash, rinse, lube, repeat. All's well.
Sam

gregf83 04-05-21 08:17 PM

I commuted for 7 yrs on a couple of older S-works Tri-Cross and Tarmac bikes. Parked outside under a small awning but would often get wet if it was windy. Bikes were carbon with Aluminum components so no issues with rust. Other than drivetrain I didn't do any maintenance or cleaning. Most days in Vancouver are wet in the winter.

nathand 04-05-21 08:39 PM

Any chance your employer (or more likely, their landlord) will install bike lockers? Mine did at a previous job, which worked nicely - provides secure and protected bike parking.

stevel610 04-05-21 08:41 PM

Find a Craigslist bike and enjoy the commute.

okoweq 04-05-21 08:44 PM

Buy an old bike off craigslist, clean it up nicely and enjoy giving it a new life every day

alloo 04-06-21 03:36 AM

Buy your own bicycle cover.

Papa Tom 04-06-21 03:57 AM

Something like this, and leave it at work? https://www.amazon.com/YardStash-IV-...96622999&psc=1

pdlamb 04-06-21 09:36 AM

Get a bike cover, take it and use it when rain is in the forecast. If there's a surprise pop-up shower, wipe the bike down when you get home and re-lube the chain and pivots.

RobertUI 04-06-21 10:05 AM

I had this exact scenario a few years ago (mine was 4.5 miles), I did what others have suggested and picked up an old mountain bike (rigid front and back) and rode the crap out of it. I think the bike was about $50 for a '97 Diamond Back Sorrento. I kept any part that wasn't painted lubed at all times, and then never gave it a second thought. The only thing I did was made sure to park it in the shade (I didn't have coverage) because I didn't want the tires to get sun damage. It got rained on A LOT and snow always piled on it in the winter. Made for a GREAT commuter, and because it was fairly ugly and old, it wasn't a good theft magnet! I did replace the QR skewers with some that require an allen wrench (I'm actually using these types on any bike that I lock up).

Alligator 04-06-21 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by RobertUI (Post 22002716)
I had this exact scenario a few years ago (mine was 4.5 miles), I did what others have suggested and picked up an old mountain bike (rigid front and back) and rode the crap out of it. I think the bike was about $50 for a '97 Diamond Back Sorrento. I kept any part that wasn't painted lubed at all times, and then never gave it a second thought.

This sounds like a good plan.

4130NewJersey 04-07-21 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by alloo (Post 22002265)
Buy your own bicycle cover.

I second this....you could maybe even stash it in your desk or locker when you leave work.

mdarnton 04-07-21 06:49 AM

Count me among those recommending that you buy the cheapest POS to fill this position. I don't have any hills on my 6 mile commute so a $200 flip-flop single speed works fine.

Alligator 04-07-21 04:57 PM

The reason this is so frustrating is because I’ve spent my life searching for the perfect bikes. Now that I’m happy with what I have, I get a job that requires me to lock them up outside. I’ve had good bikes and horrible bikes over the years, and now I like what I have. I want to take care of them.

Update: After discussing it, bikes are made to be used. I may take an existing bike and just lube it as necessary to protect it and see what happens. Rusted components can be replaced.

Here’s the next question: What maintenance should I do after it rains to be safe. Lube the chain, got it. Anything else other than drying it?

pdlamb 04-08-21 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by Alligator (Post 22004901)
Here’s the next question: What maintenance should I do after it rains to be safe. Lube the chain, got it. Anything else other than drying it?

1. Oil pivots (brake and derailer)
2. Make sure shifters are well greased
3. Oil or grease brake and shifter cables periodically
4. If you've got parts that aren't stainless steel or aluminum, or don't have rust-preventing coatings, consider coating them with heavy oil or Boeshield periodically. Chainrings, seatpost clamp bolts, and brake cable hangers come to mind. You may have to replace them more frequently than before, but paying attention to them now should pay off.