Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Professional Cycling For the Fans (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=217)
-   -   Fantasy Tour de France + general TdF discussion... (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1148101)

diphthong 06-28-18 04:43 AM

Fantasy Tour de France + general TdF discussion...

um yah. it's time. tdf time. the biggie. much angst. whatcha got? crashes galore. best laid plans gone on day one. obscure maillot jaunes.
what's not to like?

https://www.velogames.com/
league name: bikeforums!
league code:618163911

pick yer riders and keep it equal to/less than 100 points. deadline to enter is 11:00am cest on saturday, july 7th.
as always, there will be spirited discussion armchair ds'ing regarding what is and what should never be (sorry robert & jimmy)
in terms of the racing or lack thereof. all the bellyaching and speculating. feel free to post your pre-stage analysis and look like a
genius (wow!) or doofus (i could use company) stage by stage. off the wall predictions and cycling psychics welcome.
trying to consolidate all the various splinter leagues so please reregister. this league will be the official one.

kingston 06-28-18 07:07 AM

I'm in

2cam16 06-28-18 08:17 AM

In again.

diphthong 06-29-18 03:58 AM

built up both a classics team (most of my fave riders are participating) and a "jekyll/hyde" team but don't have the chutzpah to run either as the final answer. maan...that "jekyll/hyde" team...

dstrong 06-29-18 03:21 PM

In...but initial selections subject to change!

one4smoke 06-29-18 09:50 PM

All in! :giver:

Pemetic2006 06-30-18 08:15 AM

It seems like each year the Tour organizers want to do something to dislodge the Sky dominance.....or am I wrong?
If I'm not wrong then I don't get the re-introduction of the TTT (yes, I know that unseating Sky isn't the only thing the organizers are trying to do).The TTT is 35.5 K's which seems plenty long enough to give Sky a huge leg up already on stage 3. That means defending the yellow jersey (should they get it) for 18 stages but I wager that doesn't bother them in the least.

CerveloJoe 06-30-18 11:11 AM

I'm in. Will be fun'

Originally Posted by Pemetic2006 (Post 20420925)
It seems like each year the Tour organizers want to do something to dislodge the Sky dominance.....or am I wrong?
If I'm not wrong then I don't get the re-introduction of the TTT (yes, I know that unseating Sky isn't the only thing the organizers are trying to do).The TTT is 35.5 K's which seems plenty long enough to give Sky a huge leg up already on stage 3. That means defending the yellow jersey (should they get) it for 18 stages but I wager that doesn't bother them in the least.

It's difficult to determine what the organizers are up to most of the time. On paper, this years tour is an interesting one. Early on, with the TTT and cobblestone stage, there may be time gained by non GC contenders. The TTT will certainly favor the stronger overall teams, while the cobblestone stage (stage 9 I believe) will favor the larger, stronger riders and give them the opportunity to possibly gain minutes on the GC contenders. Protecting the team leaders on this stage becomes much more difficult, compared to a normal flat stage. You could even see a GC contender crash out of the race before it even really begins for them.

The majority of the rest of the Tour certainly favors the climbers imo. Even the penultimate stage does. This will be a brutally hilly/climbing TT in which aerodynamics and brute strength will not favor the typical pure time trial rider. As always, this year's Tour should be very interesting. If there are a few pure climbers still in contention on the final week, they could be in the driver's seat.

Pemetic2006 06-30-18 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by CerveloJoe (Post 20421170)
I'm in. Will be fun'

It's difficult to determine what the organizers are up to most of the time. On paper, this years tour is an interesting one. Early on, with the TTT and cobblestone stage, there may be time gained by non GC contenders. The TTT will certainly favor the stronger overall teams, while the cobblestone stage (stage 9 I believe) will favor the larger, stronger riders and give them the opportunity to possibly gain minutes on the GC contenders. Protecting the team leaders on this stage becomes much more difficult, compared to a normal flat stage. You could even see a GC contender crash out of the race before it even really begins for them.

The majority of the rest of the Tour certainly favors the climbers imo. Even the penultimate stage does. This will be a brutally hilly/climbing TT in which aerodynamics and brute strength will not favor the typical pure time trial rider. As always, this year's Tour should be very interesting. If there are a few pure climbers still in contention on the final week, they could be in the driver's seat.

Yea, I forgot about the cobbled stage. Didn't Froome crash out of the last Tour that featured cobbles before he got to the cobbles?
I wonder how well Valverde can do on the cobbles.....we already know Nibali can do well. And Uran will have Taylor Phinney and Sep Vanmarcke to shepherd him across the cobbles. Definitely looking forward to that stage.

Lazyass 06-30-18 01:41 PM

Egan Bernal is my new favorite rider, I've always preferred pure climbers. I understand he'll be in the TDF. I wish he wasn't on Sky supporting Froome.

CerveloJoe 06-30-18 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by Lazyass (Post 20421371)
Egan Bernal is my new favorite rider, I've always preferred pure climbers. I understand he'll be in the TDF. I wish he wasn't on Sky supporting Froome.

I've always favored the pure climbers myself. What they are capable of doing in the mountains is remarkable.

one4smoke 06-30-18 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by CerveloJoe (Post 20421566)
I've always favored the pure climbers myself. What they are capable of doing in the mountains is remarkable.

I'm pretty amazed by ALL of them. In my humble opinion, pro cyclists are the best athletes on the planet.

diphthong 07-01-18 02:47 AM

Originally Posted by Lazyass (Post 20421371)

truth but he's like 3rd, 4th or 5th in the pecking order on the team for this race. he and poels, kwiatkowski and moscon will be shot from the chamber when the team pulls the trigger. both thomas and froomie
will be protected. almost hoping bernal abandons or crashes out early so he can be the protected rider in the vuelta. i think he could win that this year. reminds me of a really young contador.

diphthong 07-01-18 03:01 AM

except for 8-10 riders like simon yates, sam bennett, chaves, angel lopez, george bennett, aru, rohan dennis, woods, battaglin and viviani...everyone's riding the tdf.
should be awesome. still like the vuelta the most with the shortest stages and the mix of guys trying to justify their current contract, get a new contract, younger kids
with endless legs, old dogs with experience and guys trying to salvage their season.

diphthong 07-01-18 03:04 AM

and wth is matteo trentin? vuelta and only vuelta?

San Pedro 07-02-18 06:26 AM

I'm in. Looking forward to the start of the racing.

DLBroox 07-03-18 07:56 AM

Phaintingoats will try again. I might dabble with my roster over the course of the week. That’s so when I watch I can think “rats, I had that guy and let him go,” as I sink to the bottom of the pack.

USAZorro 07-03-18 12:39 PM

Day 5 is entered. Hope I have reason to watch the Tour beyond Day 4 this year. :innocent:

eddiepliers 07-03-18 09:53 PM

I'm in..

diphthong 07-05-18 06:30 AM

i like the profiles and the route this year. the ttt will put a bunch of contenders>30 seconds behind if the crosswinds of the first two days haven't already. stages 5 & 6 look to be classics rider
friendly and traps for pure climbers. the cobbles on stage 9 will inevitably parse the contenders down to a dozen or less. stage 10, after the rest day, looks to be the stage that will relegate the remainder
of applicable riders into either the contender or pretender camp. the first week is frequently boring but this year looks to be dynamite every other day or so.

dahoss2002 07-05-18 02:20 PM

Im in like Flynn. GEAUX TIGERS

slcbob 07-05-18 03:08 PM

To Froome or not to Froome, that is the question.....

slcbob 07-05-18 03:52 PM

Ugggh. I was just in there putzing around making a strong team without Froome or Sagan (yeah, WTF?) when literally, W T F ????

IMPORTANT NOTICE

Due to a recent legal claim, entries into the current Fantasy Grand Tour game are currently suspended until further notice.

It is fair to say I am absolutely gutted about this turn of events, but do not want to comment further until the situation progresses.

At present it is looking unlikely that the current Fantasy Grand Tour game will go ahead as planned.

Many apologies for this news, but it is for the best for my family and finances.

Yours in fantasy cycling, George

CerveloJoe 07-05-18 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by slcbob (Post 20430785)
Ugggh. I was just in there putzing around making a strong team without Froome or Sagan (yeah, WTF?) when literally, W T F ????

What a bummer.

diphthong 07-06-18 02:35 AM

is someone suing for not getting a participation trophy? this bites.
had:
nibbles
thomas
zakarin
danny martin
gaviria
sagan (the good one)
hayman from michelton scott
i-something from movistar (4-pointer)
michael schur from bmc.

ps....you were all going to finish ahead of me. except slcbob.

some of the other fantasy sites are a stage by stage proposition which sounds like a real commitment to me. pick it and be done with it. a daily reminder is like a bill due which isn't my idear of a good time...