Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Commuting (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Commuter Dreams: A pinion rig (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1143817)

kellichou 05-11-18 08:06 AM

Commuter Dreams: A pinion rig

I can't stop thinking about pinion hubs, particularly when coupled with a Gates carbon drive! https://www.ahearnecycles.com/shop-b...er-pinion-bike

I ride a very modest bike for commuting, and I dream of touring one day; it's total folly for me to be pining (heh) for a bike with a pinion hub. Reeb Cycles in Longmont, CO, Ahearne Cycles in Portland, OR, and a few other US manufacturers make frames to fit a pinion hub--but the cost is my main obstacle.

The pinion hub runs about 2-2,500 USD; not to mention the cost of building a bike around it. So I'd be looking at a bike in the 5-7K range, if I wanted something with a pinion hub.

Ultimately, I think a bike with just a Gates carbon drive would suit my needs, and be way, way cheaper. And it helps to know that the Ahearne cycles people find the 18 gear pinion hub too much for daily commuting. Although I think I might have to start saving.

Kedosto 05-11-18 09:30 AM

We share a similar dream. I bought a belt drive compatible frame but haven't made the leap to belt drive simply because the flat repair options are so problematic. In my part of the world, speedy flat repair is a priority but belt drive systems are anything but speedy when it comes to flat repairs. Belt tension, wheel alignment, belt alignment and other issues I don't care to deal with on the side of the road have kept me from going belted. Pinion drive is another dream item for me. I can't wait for the lower priced Shimano offering I'm sure will come about someday.

Dream rig; drop bar, hyro disc brakes, Pinion/belt drive, dynamo electronics (lights/charging), flat proof tires.

-Kedosto
(waiting with $ in hand)

CharlieFree 05-11-18 10:27 AM

I have a belt drive bike with the Alfine 8. I love it.. Flat repairs and changing tires are no more difficult than any other bike so don't let that stop you. Done it dozens of times. flip bike, unhook cable, loosen hub nuts, lift wheel out, change flat, reverse. done. I would like to upgrade the Alfine to a Rohloff but other than that it's great.

Originally Posted by Kedosto (Post 20334685)
We share a similar dream. I bought a belt drive compatible frame but haven't made the leap to belt drive simply because the flat repair options are so problematic. In my part of the world, speedy flat repair is a priority but belt drive systems are anything but speedy when it comes to flat repairs. Belt tension, wheel alignment, belt alignment and other issues I don't care to deal with on the side of the road have kept me from going belted. Pinion drive is another dream item for me. I can't wait for the lower priced Shimano offering I'm sure will come about someday.

Dream rig; drop bar, hyro disc brakes, Pinion/belt drive, dynamo electronics (lights/charging), flat proof tires.

-Kedosto
(waiting with $ in hand)

ptempel 05-11-18 10:49 AM

Pinion looks like a cool technology. Two things would have to happen before I'd bite. Lower cost (2-2.5K is a bit too high) and serviceability. Everything will need service eventually. If you ride in the rain, then that service might have to be done more frequently. So if its also fairly easy to take apart and replace parts as needed, then it could be a winner.

fietsbob 05-11-18 11:18 AM

It will be like having your car stolen if it happens, get a lot of insurance ..

kellichou 05-11-18 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by CharlieFree (Post 20334822)
I have a belt drive bike with the Alfine 8. I love it.. Flat repairs and changing tires are no more difficult than any other bike so don't let that stop you. Done it dozens of times. flip bike, unhook cable, loosen hub nuts, lift wheel out, change flat, reverse. done. I would like to upgrade the Alfine to a Rohloff but other than that it's great.

Agreed--I got to borrow a friend's totally sweet Spot brand Ajax with an Alfine 8 for 3 weeks--got a rear flat, and you are exactly right--unhooking the cable, once you get the hang of it, is dead easy.

Darth Lefty 05-12-18 02:10 PM

I can’t get interested. It obstructs the standardized, modular nature of bike drive trains, at massive expense. For the price of the gearbox and the frame you could buy ten Alfine bikes.

I had a belt drive bike, it was fine. It’s not as easy as chain drive bikes to get the wheel out due to the tension

Dahon.Steve 05-12-18 09:17 PM

I was looking at the Pinion six speed and complete bikes were still over 2000 EU. That's insane to charge that much for a six speed bicycle. I'll stick with my Nexus 3 speed and chain.

CharlieFree 06-19-18 12:13 PM

I see that the new Priority 600 is using a Pinion hub (along with belt drive and a bunch more stuff including dynamo lights). Pretty intriguing package they've put together. It's not cheap but looks like excellent value compared to building something like this yourself.

https://www.prioritybicycles.com/products/the600

fietsbob 06-19-18 01:20 PM

Pinion needs a frame built around it..

RubeRad 06-19-18 01:56 PM

This page from the Pinion website explaining the technology is really cool

https://pinion.eu/en/p-line/technology/

Scroll down slowly to animate the various visualizations

RubeRad 06-19-18 03:02 PM

P1.18 in the visualization is 2700g
C1.12 (I think more commonly offered on 'lower' cost bikes) is 2100g

PaulH 06-19-18 04:48 PM

Is there some sort of beltguard available to keep your clothing from getting caught? Seems like a lot to pay fro a bike with an exposed drivetrain.

RubeRad 06-19-18 05:38 PM

On the other hand, if you paid that much, you want everybody to be able to see your gates carbon belt and pinion gearbox. Can't have people assuming you're running your average chain and 3-speed IGH

Darth Lefty 06-19-18 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by PaulH (Post 20402689)
Is there some sort of beltguard available to keep your clothing from getting caught? Seems like a lot to pay fro a bike with an exposed drivetrain.

I rode my Priority a lot in regular clothes and never had shoelace or cuffs caught that I can remember. There’s no exposed teeth to capture them on the upstroke. The rim of the pulley formed a pretty effective guard at the pinch point.

Archwhorides 06-20-18 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by RubeRad (Post 20402526)
P1.18 in the visualization is 2700g
C1.12 (I think more commonly offered on 'lower' cost bikes) is 2100g

Alfine 11 is 1,600g , Rohloff is 1,700g upwards
Pinion 6 speed is 1,800g. I would consider that for my route.

One thing I like about the pinion is that the gearbox weight is centered between the wheels and the back wheel is lighter.
The Priority 600 looks like a nice ride, I'd love to try it

RubeRad 06-20-18 04:05 PM

Yeah I was wondering, other than the weight distribution, what's the big advantage of Pinion vs a more traditional IGH?

Archwhorides 06-20-18 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by RubeRad (Post 20404367)
Yeah I was wondering, other than the weight distribution, what's the big advantage of Pinion vs a more traditional IGH?

I could imagine that the gearbox could have superior seals compared to IGH, but long-term testing would be required. Same goes for comparative efficiency.

This review is fun:

JonathanGennick 07-21-18 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by RubeRad (Post 20404367)

The gearing stays w/the bike, making it easier to play with different wheels.

Pinion's implementation is rugged enough for mountain-biking. Rohloff's too, right? But other IGHs are not rated for standing on the pedals and reaming downward with all one's might and main while in too high a gear and struggling to get up the hill that you didn't manage to shift down for in time.

Having the weight at the bottom-bracket matters enough to me all by itself.