Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Pedestrians = more dangerous than drivers? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1183904)

bedtime 09-18-19 09:23 AM

Pedestrians = more dangerous than drivers?

Cars tend to keep away from me and give me my space. Pedestrians on the other hand often j-walk right in front of me while I'm riding properly on the road. I end up having to slow down, or I'd hit them. Happens almost every single time I go to my bike coop.

I don't know why they think it's okay for them to wait for a car but just walk right in front of a bike.

Oh, and people on those powered scooters—don't even get me started!! Too many close calls.

ChinookTx 09-18-19 09:49 AM

Feel better now?

tagaproject6 09-18-19 10:08 AM

Do you want a "cool story, bro!" Because, that's how you get a "cool story, bro!" :P

Moe Zhoost 09-18-19 10:27 AM

Pedestrians in motion walk slow enough that you can anticipate their movements and thus avoid them. If they are stationary, you can count on them starting to walk soon, so just assume that they will step out on you and plan accordingly. Don't assume that they see you even if they are looking your way. Also, resist the urge to buzz them because it really does not "teach them a lesson" and could result in something that would ruin your day.

MattTheHat 09-18-19 10:33 AM

On the up side, it's hard to get doored by a pedestrian.

tomato coupe 09-18-19 10:49 AM

I can't remember the last time I read about a drunk pedestrian stepping in front of a group of cyclists and killing 4 or 5 of them.

79pmooney 09-18-19 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by Moe Zhoost (Post 21127869)
Pedestrians in motion walk slow enough that you can anticipate their movements and thus avoid them. ...

I'm guessing you have never had one step out from in front of a van mid-block. Or maybe you have powers of anticipation I was not gifted with.

Banzai 09-18-19 11:06 AM

Pedestrians don’t kill people.

Drivers kill scads of people.

Any questions?

indyfabz 09-18-19 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by 79pmooney (Post 21127938)
I'm guessing you have never had one step out from in front of a van mid-block. Or maybe you have powers of anticipation I was not gifted with.

Yeah. We big city folks know what's up with stuff like that. And dude is in the south. Folks down there mosey.

I-Like-To-Bike 09-18-19 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by bedtime (Post 21127764)
Cars tend to keep away from me and give me my space. Pedestrians on the other hand often j-walk right in front of me while I'm riding properly on the road. I end up having to slow down, or I'd hit them. Happens almost every single time I go to my bike coop.

I don't know why they think it's okay for them to wait for a car but just walk right in front of a bike.

Oh, and people on those powered scooters—don't even get me started!! Too many close calls.

You end up "having to slow down"? Oh, the horror!!:eek: How terribly inefficient! :rolleyes:

indyfabz 09-18-19 12:15 PM

Happens almost every single time I go to my bike coop.

Only then? That seems odd.

Moe Zhoost 09-18-19 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by 79pmooney (Post 21127938)
Or maybe you have powers of anticipation I was not gifted with.

Probably. Observation and anticipation developed over many years of commuting in urban traffic.

Notso_fastLane 09-18-19 01:08 PM

There are a few (entertaining, admittedly) videos on the Cycliq site with pedestrians walking right into/in front of bicycles. They are almost always face down in a smartphone screen when it happens.

MattTheHat 09-18-19 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 21128028)
Only then? That seems odd.

Bike coops kill. :)

noimagination 09-18-19 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by MattTheHat (Post 21128175)
Bike coops kill. :)

Which is why we should all support free range bikes.

CliffordK 09-18-19 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by MattTheHat (Post 21127878)
On the up side, it's hard to get doored by a pedestrian.

Perhaps not, but I did have a pedestrian swing her walker right in front of my line of travel. And, admittedly I was passing a little close.

Fortunately I slammed on the brakes, made light contact, and nobody went down, and no injuries.

tomato coupe 09-18-19 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by CliffordK (Post 21128218)
Perhaps not, but I did have a pedestrian swing her walker right in front of my line of travel. And, admittedly I was passing a little close. Fortunately I slammed on the brakes, made light contact, and nobody went down, and no injuries.

Hitting an old woman using a walker? You'd have to put a lot of spin on that accident to save face with your riding buddies:

"There I was, was pumping out 1500 W trying to out-sprint a mountain lion, when I noticed a couple of rattlesnakes in the road. I dodged the first, but got tagged by the second. That distracted me, and I didn't see the Lamborghini parked on the side of the road. I managed to bunny hop over the car, but clipped the old woman's walker that was stored in the passenger seat. Oddly, this happens almost every single time I go to my bike co-op."

CliffordK 09-18-19 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by tomato coupe (Post 21128262)
Hitting an old woman using a walker? You'd have to put a lot of spin on that accident to save face with your riding buddies:

Yeah, I know.

2-way street-side bike lane without sidewalk (perhaps before it was marked as such).

I slowed down to let a Tandem go by in the opposite direction. Then once passed, swung around her.

Simultaneously she swung around to get a second look at the tandem.

:bike2:

sumgy 09-18-19 05:08 PM

You sound like a motorist.
Pedestrians have right of way when crossing the roads where I live, so yes you do need to slow down and Give Way to them (whether you are in your car or on your bike). They don't have to wait for cars.
Jaywalking is a term dreamed up by the motoring industry in the 30's during their successful campaign to take over our roads.

https://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-26073797

livedarklions 09-18-19 07:40 PM

Well, I do have to admit that I have never had a car jaywalk right in front of me.

CliffordK 09-18-19 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by livedarklions (Post 21128617)
Well, I do have to admit that I have never had a car jaywalk right in front of me.

Cars don't have designated crossing places. They can cross a road dang near anywhere there isn't a curb to hop or guard rail to cross.

livedarklions 09-18-19 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by CliffordK (Post 21128628)
Cars don't have designated crossing places. They can cross a road dang near anywhere there isn't a curb to hop or guard rail to cross.

See, the joke was cars don't walk.

CliffordK 09-18-19 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by livedarklions (Post 21128651)
See, the joke was cars don't walk.

https://images.cdn.circlesix.co/imag...2857307ddf.png

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped..._Star_Wars.JPG

livedarklions 09-18-19 08:33 PM

Do you have to stop for an imperial walker in the crosswalk?

bedtime 09-19-19 08:49 AM

I was riding to my bike coop again and saw a group of about 6 teenagers j-walking across the street. They crossed even though there was clearly a car coming. Not one of them hesitated. The car had to slow to a stop for them. So it's not just bikes they don't respect—it's their own lives.

That having happened, I think I overreacted with my initial post, and I take back much of what I said. You guys clearly put me in my place, lol.

Thanks for the replies guys! :)