Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Forum Suggestions & User Assistance (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=160)
-   -   "go to quoted post" link intermittent (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1192219)

Bah Humbug 01-19-20 03:18 PM

"go to quoted post" link intermittent

In a quoted post, there's a little blue [>] for "go to quoted post". Intermittently, this does not work; the pointer still turns into the "clickable" finger but nothing happens. Recently, I noticed this seemed to occur on the first load of a thread page from the subforum's list or from the page nav within the thread, but is resolved by a reload of the page.

BillyD 01-19-20 03:26 PM

Sometimes it’s resolved by a reload, sometimes not.

madpogue 01-19-20 05:56 PM

I've never found that link unresponsive, but I have found that it sometimes just takes you to a random(?) page on the thread, and not to the specific quoted post.

Jim from Boston 01-20-20 05:03 AM

"go to quoted post" link intermittent

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21290975)
In a quoted post, there's a little blue [>] for "go to quoted post". Intermittently, this does not work; the pointer still turns into the "clickable" finger but nothing happens.

Recently, I noticed this seemed to occur on the first load of a thread page from the subforum's list or from the page nav within the thread, but is resolved by a reload of the page.

Originally Posted by madpogue (Post 21291161)
I've never found that link unresponsive, but I have found that it sometimes just takes you to a random(?) page on the thread, and not to the specific quoted post.

I usually copy and paste the number of the quoted post into my current post. I often check the link, and on a few occasions the "little blue [>] for 'go to quoted post' goes to the incorrect quoted post.

When I re-copy and paste, the link works, so I assume I incompletely copied the post number originally.

FWIW. I previously quoted my rationale for (extensively) quoting, especially as a citation (reference):

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston (Post 21258662)
…So with my experiences in cycling, and my frequent posting over the years, if I have replied on a recurrent topic, written to my satisfaction, I’ll just quote it..

A further challenge then becomes finding the post

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
(From a now-closed thread) I think that the use of quote boxes, which I have not seen elsewhere is a remarkable way to graphically diagram a dialogue. …..:

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston (Post 17602303)
So when I nest quotes, I feel I’m emulating a conversation…”He said," then “You said," then “I said, and now I’m saying…”

I leave my quotes as links to identify the author, and if anyone is interested in reading further, or verifying those quotes, they can easily be followed right from the post[and tells the reader that his topic has been previously considered in the past].

I use ellipses,"..." to eliminate as much as possible, and still leave the context of the quote comprehensible; and I bold key words and phrases to emphasize the core content of the discussion.

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston (Post 21254566)
Furthermore IMO, a quotation of a subscriber, even if I disagree is a more complimentary kudo, than just a LIKE, as opposed to:

By nesting quote boxes, I indicate to the quoted subscriber(s) that I have read the post(s), reflected on the content, and extracted meaningful point(s), that I worked into a quote chain.

Originally Posted by wphamilton (Post 18930392)
At last I'm enshrined in a Jim from Boston quote chain, feels like the big time! Thank you.

The quote chain allows me to quote a few subscribers on one topic in one post. As my signature line reads: "I use nested, sequential quotes (to be read in that order) to improvise an imaginary conversation.

Anything outside a quote box is my contribution to the current 'conversation. "

My signature line has since been changed, to liken my nested quotes to a "panel discussion on a topic, with me as moderator and a participant, each of us speaking in turn."

That’s why I take care to validate my links.

IBJoel 01-20-20 10:13 AM

We've been trying to find a solution to this for a couple weeks, now. One problem is that it's very intermittent and is inconsistent for users (you and I can use the same link and it'll be broken for you, but work for me).

IBobi 01-20-20 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by IBJoel (Post 21291977)
We've been trying to find a solution to this for a couple weeks, now. One problem is that it's very intermittent and is inconsistent for users (you and I can use the same link and it'll be broken for you, but work for me).

IBJoel please add a new jira ticket for this, and reference the FT jira in it (and the BKF jira in the FT jira).

BillyD 01-21-20 08:08 AM

:thumb:

IBJoel 01-21-20 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by IBobi (Post 21292704)
IBJoel please add a new jira ticket for this, and reference the FT jira in it (and the BKF jira in the FT jira).

What's the FT ticket number?

unterhausen 01-24-20 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by IBJoel (Post 21293435)
What's the FT ticket number?

Instructions are on the TPS report form

IBJoel 01-24-20 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by unterhausen (Post 21298354)
Instructions are on the TPS report form
https://youtu.be/Fy3rjQGc6lA

God, if only you knew how close to Office Space my life is :lol:

madpogue 01-24-20 04:57 PM

That would be greeeeeat.....

(What, has @IBobi asked you to go ahead and come in tomorrow?)

IBobi 01-24-20 05:03 PM

I doubt I'm the Lumberg in this particular scenario. She left the company a year ago ;)

IBJoel 01-27-20 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by madpogue (Post 21298544)
That would be greeeeeat.....

(What, has @IBobi asked you to go ahead and come in tomorrow?)

Thankfully, I don't think I have 8 (direct) bosses and no one asks me to come in on the weekend. Just general office life is funny.

madpogue 01-27-20 05:08 PM

How'd that meeting with the Bobs go?....