Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=248)
-   -   for Taller, not necessairly heavier clydes...bike choice (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=845313)

tallteacher 09-10-12 02:38 PM

for Taller, not necessairly heavier clydes...bike choice

I am a clydes 2 ways....6'5 and 240 and dropping...long waisted with about 34-34.5" inseam...once I sell my motorcycle I play on trying to buy a new bike, preferably a 2012 closeout....I have one LBS I like because of their service, not so much because of their choices of brands....
They carry trek, cannondale, fuji, khs.....

I havent been fitted yet (which is soon coming) but I have test ridden a couple of bikes and went off of how they felt on a short ride...
I sat on a trek alpha 62 cm.... IF i bought a trek it would be a domane or a madone 2.1 based on what I want to pay...under 2K out the door to leave money for bibs, shirts, shoes, tax etc.... the trek felt good size wise... AL bikes with CF forks

The fuji's I am considering are the gran fondo 4.0 and 3.0 (2012)...the 4.0 has tiagra parts, the 3.0 105's...upside..bikes are all CF

The KHS models are the 2012 720 and 750....CF/AL combo fusion...something or other...

Possibly the cannondale synapse AL....i like the carbon..too much $$$

these are all "endurance" bikes with Effective top tubes within 1 cm of eachother...Basically I want to see what kind of deal they can make or find with last years' models and cash in hand...

Any taller guys riding any of these bikes?

a not so LBS carries giant...i test rode the defy 1 in XL...although a 58.5cm size, the effective top tube is 59.5, right on par with the others and felt pretty comfortable for the short ride...

again, any input from taller riders or if you know taller riders on these bikes would be very appreciated

ALSO...shoujld i be so concerned about the tiagra vs 105 groupos? (especially on trek and the fuji gran fondo bikes)....

TrojanHorse 09-10-12 02:48 PM

Is it 10 speed tiagra? If so, it should be acceptable to you. 105 will be a little better but not enough to really lose any sleep over. I'm a midget at 6'2" so I can't really address your other questions - a stock 58cm frame works fine for me.

What's your "cycling" inseam? competitivecyclist and pedalforce both have fit calculators if you want to play around with them a little.

tallteacher 09-10-12 02:53 PM

I am going to get fit by the LBS in the next week or so... but purchasing is on hold until I can sell my motorcycle :(.... I will look up the cycling inseam and have my wife help me measure lol..i dont think i can do it alone

and the gran fondo 4.0 is a tiagra 10 spd

volosong 09-10-12 03:21 PM

I'm only 6'3", and that is early in the morning. At night, I'm less. But, like you, I also have a 34" inseam. I have several bikes and an ett of 58cm-59cm seem to fit me quite well. One is a Madone 4.5. The bike is spec'd as a 60cm, but has a 58.6 ett, (I have no idea why they call it a 60cm bike. No measurement on the geometry diagram is close to 60 cm.)

I'm lusting for a Domane, but my burning desire is in check right now.

Just my own opinion ... I wouldn't own Tiagra. 105 is fine. (My Madone came with a mix of 105/Tiagra/no-name; and has been, over time, "converted" to Ultegra.) The worst complaint about the Madone was with the seat and the Tiagra brakes. All the reviews said it has poor stopping power. The seat and brakes were the first two things I swapped out.

The ett of my bikes are: 58.6cm (Madone 4.5, 60cm size), 58.6cm (Kestrel RT800-SL, 59cm size), and 58cm (Pinarello FP6, 57.5 cm size)

TrojanHorse 09-10-12 03:28 PM

Finding a last year's model in your size might be hard only because your size is hard to find and probably not heavily stocked at most shops. A friend of mine bought a carbon synapse with apex for under $1400 on ebay - it was brand new. I think retail they're only 1700 or so when he bought his, I see they're 2100 now or 2450 for the 105.

Alternately, look for a used bike on CL or ebay - bikes in your size don't exactly fly off the shelves, so you might find a nice gem and save some money at the same time.

People in this area seem to have unreasonable expectations as to what they're gently used bikes are worth though, it's crazy.

TrojanHorse 09-10-12 03:31 PM

like here's a good example: kind of a road trip for you but hey - http://ventura.craigslist.org/bik/3225752767.html

Seattle Forrest 09-10-12 03:36 PM

Will the shop let you take the bikes on long test rides? I think a few hours with each frame, or even just one or two of them, will help you more than even the wisest advice you'll find in here.

Heftydad 09-10-12 03:48 PM

I cannot help you with any of these bikes, but will warn you that 2012 closeouts may not be an option. I'm 6'5" 260 (down from 360) and just got my first bike, a hybrid. I learned very quickly in the shopping phase that very few LBS carried something in stock I could ride right away, and most of what could be ordered the 2012s in my size were gone.

bigfred 09-10-12 03:51 PM

I'm 6'5" and have a 95.5 cm cycling inseam. I second the comment about using one or more fit calculators. (Competative Cyclist, Leonard Zinn's, Wrench Science) Then compare the results.

Be careful with the advice you receive from myself, the others on this board and anyone else close to our size. At our sizes body morphology can require large differences in bike geometry for individuals that would commonly be referred as being pretty similiar in size.

Also, with regard to fit. Your aspirations and realative fitness will have a huge impact on what constitutes an acceptable fit. I have had salesman try to fit me onto 58cm bikes. While a 58cm top tube in combination with a moderately long stem provides the correct reach, it also ussually comes with way more drop than I desire for the 50-100 mile rides I enjoy. However, this sort of issue does not exhibit itself on short test rides of less than 20 miles, as the more aggressive geometry is fine for the first 45 to 60 minutes.

Generally, I would guess that you would be looking at bikes of 62-64cm (declared frame size).

I know you've ruled out carbon because of cost. But, if I were shopping for a bike tomorrow, I would be considering Trek H2 fit frames of 64cm if using the integrated seatpost or also 62cm when using a traditional seat post, Specialized Roubaix frames of 61 or 64 cm, Cannondale frames of 63cm.

Depending upon your body morphology, and desired comfort vs performance, top tube length in combination with head tube length (stack height) will be your determining dimensions. Provided the frame in question is capable of delivering adequate saddle height.

I hope this helps. Let us know how you get on.

tallteacher 09-10-12 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by TrojanHorse (Post 14713519)
like here's a good example: kind of a road trip for you but hey - http://ventura.craigslist.org/bik/3225752767.html

that is a nice bike...a little more than i want to put out of pocket (when i have money to actually have IN my pocket)... ventura would be about 2.5-3 hrs..not unreasonable for a good deal when the time comes

also...

seattle--the giant dealer has a long almost half mile parking lot (shares with multiple businesses) nbut wont allow it on the nice 30 mile bike path along the river

tallteacher 09-10-12 03:58 PM

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/bik/3255860119.html

THis is one bike I have had my eye on for awhile...and googling around I have seen it listed on other forums as far back as february.....

http://modesto.craigslist.org/bik/3194539784.html

from what I have read the CAAD 10 is more of a racing geometry..is that correct?

VegasVic 09-10-12 04:07 PM

Get a complete fitting done first.

Tooling around the parking lot for 15-20 minutes after they adjust the seat height isn't going to tell you anything. For me, the pains/discomfort associated with an ill-fitted bike didn't show up until I reached the 20-25 mile mark.

jsigone 09-10-12 04:08 PM

interbike is next week, most 2013 models should hit the store the following week if they haven't gotten them already so sales should be dumping old stock really soon. IMO at 6'5 you will be cramped on a 58 bike. You have a tad longer torso I'd assume and need something with a 590-610cm top tube and maybe even 120 stem pending how long your arms are. I'm 6'2 on a 590mm top tube and still fit with either 120-130mm stem. Currently using 120mm with longer reach 3T bars.

BTW i'd get something with at least 105 or Rival at that price point.

bigfred 09-10-12 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by tallteacher (Post 14713664)
http://sacramento.craigslist.org/bik/3255860119.html

THis is one bike I have had my eye on for awhile...and googling around I have seen it listed on other forums as far back as february.....

http://modesto.craigslist.org/bik/3194539784.html

from what I have read the CAAD 10 is more of a racing geometry..is that correct?

Cannondale's Caad and Six geometries might be "racing" geometries, but, they are slightly more traditional racing geometries and not quite as aggressive as some of the other brands. However, to the best of my knowledge Cannondale doesn't make a "62" cm frame. They make 60's and 63's. If the 62 is measured to the top of the seat tube, it may actually be the 60. Which may or may not fit you.

Take the time and get someone to assist in accurately taking your measurements. The fit calculators aren't perfect. But, with accurate numbers they're a good starting point. They'll at least get in you in the ball park and will help identify if you have any fit abnormalities that will help eliminate certain geometries.

With regard to your earlier question about Tiagra or 105: I have previously contended that 105 was really worth investing in over Tiagra. However, with the trickledown of 10spd's and double paddle shifters to Tiagra I suspect that it's just as servicable as the old 105 was.

bigfred 09-10-12 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by jsigone (Post 14713710)
interbike is next week, most 2013 models should hit the store the following week if they haven't gotten them already so sales should be dumping old stock really soon. IMO at 6'5 you will be cramped on a 58 bike. You have a tad longer torso I'd assume and need something with a 590-610cm top tube and maybe even 120 stem pending how long your arms are. I'm 6'2 on a 590mm top tube and still fit with either 120-130mm stem. Currently using 120mm with longer reach 3T bars.

BTW i'd get something with at least 105 or Rival at that price point.

I'm not going to suggest that jsigone is wrong. But, this ^^^^ is exactly why we need accurate measurements from guys our size if we're going to be of much help. I'm the same height as the OP, with moderately long legs, but, not out of the norm. But, apparently, I have a long neck and head, cause my torso isn't particularly long and a 58.5cm top tube could easily be riddern with a 130mm stem. Perhaps even 110-120mm depending on drop and type of riding being done.

Antelope 70cm 09-10-12 04:57 PM

Have the KHS dealer hook you up with the Zinn inspired 747. Surprised they didn't in the first place.

tallteacher 09-10-12 05:22 PM

I really looked at the 747....but the 200mm cranks seem pretty long....hence...I should get accurately measured soon so I can narrow down my search.......now if i can sell that motorcycle.......

jsigone 09-10-12 05:41 PM

me thinks 180mm cranks will be fine....flame on

bigfred 09-10-12 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by tallteacher (Post 14714009)
I really looked at the 747....but the 200mm cranks seem pretty long....hence...I should get accurately measured soon so I can narrow down my search.......now if i can sell that motorcycle.......

Originally Posted by jsigone (Post 14714081)
me thinks 180mm cranks will be fine....flame on

With my 955mm inseam I've been riding 180mm cranks for a long time. I am curious about going 190-195. However, the 747 comes with an entirely too long top tube "for me".

TrojanHorse 09-10-12 06:36 PM

One of the riders on this forum had a bike built with 220mm cranks - laxpatrick.

http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...re-you-riding?

that thread might be relevant to you.

brawlo 09-10-12 09:21 PM

I'm your height, but longer inseam from your estimation. When it comes to relaxed geometry bikes, your decision should be solely based on the feel of the frame. Now, having done my own research of late, I have decided upon the Cervelo R3 as my next bike, I'm just in the process of saving for it. I'm in the same boat as you in that trying a bike out requires the store to order one in specially and then there's pressure to buy. My decision came initially from what I could get locally and then doing quite a bit of searching to sift through the reviews to find out what the frame rides like. After narrowing down to 2 choices, speaking to people who had tried both lead me my final choice.

Do you already have an old bike of some description? I ask because when I started riding road bikes, I was purely interested in a certain style of bike. Since then, I purchased a cheaper but nicely decked out second hand bike to introduce myself to the sport. Now that I have been riding for a while, I have a pretty clear view of what I want out of a bike, and it is quite different to what I thought I wanted initially. So by buying a second hand bargain, I have effectively saved myself quite a bit of money that can now go into something nicer and more suited to what I want.

As for crank length, I have read a fair amount of speculation about crank lengths, and the general consensus is that it's not that important. Shorter cranks allow you to spin faster, longer cranks allow you to apply more force to each stroke. I've recently made the switch to 180mm cranks from 172.5. Initially I noticed the "extra gear" from the leverage, but I liked the spin factor from the shorter cranks. I'm in the process of trying to get my cadence back up with the longer cranks. If I can't achieve this, I may actually go back...

BigJeff 09-10-12 09:42 PM

Wait and wait before buying, large bikes are hard to sell and the next model year arrives, on Jan 1, mobody wants to buy a 2012 or2011 bike.

Focus also makes a decent entry level bike in 62 and 64.

Last year I bought a 2010 Focus w/ Tiagra for $675, ~48% off sticker price, so you'll start seeing similar deals.

A year later, and upped my riding to 200mi+/wk, I only think of ditching Al for a composite frame. Trek calls my name with that 5.2 but now I'm back to saving again.

laxpatrick 09-10-12 10:36 PM

I wouldn't let the 200's scare you away from the KHS 747...