Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=259)
-   -   HRT Monitor Strap Problems (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1227542)

CanadianBiker32 04-05-21 03:04 PM

HRT Monitor Strap Problems

For many years I have always used Garmin Devices.
For HRT chest strap. I have used the garmin straps and even tried the Wahoo strap.
I do find Wahoo worked a bit better.
But I find the straps do not last a long time at all. 6 to 8 months . and i lose connection
I think its the battery so i change the battery and still never works.
always i ended up getting a new strap.
Seems these things do not last a long time. Am i the only one? or is this a norm?
I often do clean my straps after use, Yet they never want to work properly.
In which last year I have stopped using my HRT altogether. I do not monitor anything now

Suggestions? of a decent strap? any other brands that will work with garmin devices that always work decently?
also what is your time period your straps last?

Iride01 04-05-21 03:39 PM

Garmin premium soft strap has always worked well enough for me. I'm on my second one in the last 10 maybe 11 years. It's starting to show signs of wear but still sends a reliable HR.

The first strap I was replacing batteries every year. Not certain that it really needed them though. Maybe just a quirk that solved itself at the same time. Second and current strap is on it's original battery. Yeah, I keep going huh at that too when I think about it.

Those that have trouble with Garmin straps tend to like the Wahoo though.

Are you one that sweats an ungodly amount of salt? That might corrode stuff you can't see.

I almost never take the pod off my strap. I just rinse the strap under running water after every ride and lay it on a towel to dry or hang it up to dry.

August West 04-05-21 06:43 PM

I get years out of my Garmin Premium straps and sweat profusely with plenty of salt. Mine gets rinsed off under running water after each ride but that is more to keep it from getting nasty rather than concerns with longevity.

CanadianBiker32 04-07-21 02:05 PM

I have another issue on the garmin ,seems the device of the strap not working, strap is fine, i am making a separate post on this

canklecat 04-07-21 10:34 PM

My original Wahoo Tickr strap lasted about a year before the sensor pads on the strap began to peel away. However the pads retained electrical continuity and the Tickr continued functioning normally. Eventually I might try some double stick tape to see if I can reattach those pads, but it isn't really necessary.

BTW, the original Tickr strap uses the Tickr unit itself as the "buckle" to hold the strap together.

I ordered an inexpensive backup (CooSpo) strap that's better in one way and not as good in another:
  • The sensor pad appears to be much more secure and very unlikely to peel away. This seems better than the original Tickr strap.
  • The Tickr snaps into the strap but doesn't also serve double duty as the buckle. Also good.
  • The strap has its own buckle. Not so good. A thin plastic snap broke after about 6 months. I've retained the buckle using a tiny zip tie. This means I have to step into the strap and pull it up. Not a big deal but not how it should function.

Anyway, both straps continue to function, with minor but annoying problems.