Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Bicycle Mechanics (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Crack in Bottom Bracket shell (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1221661)

dvizz 01-16-21 10:35 AM

Crack in Bottom Bracket shell

When pedaling with torque there is a subtle clanking sound coming from the bottom bracket. My diagnosis on the cause is a crack in the bottom bracket shell discovered after removal of the cups being retained with Loctite 609 to the press fit bottom bracket. Previously press fit installation and removal due to creaking of the bottom bracket over the past 3 years, the punching out removal caused the separation that is shown in the photo. I am considering an epoxy or super glue to prevent the movement of one side of the shell under the stress of pedaling. Any one have any thoughts.
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...af26e55aac.jpg

Iride01 01-16-21 10:52 AM

Call or write the manufacturer of the bike and see if they have any thoughts or suggestions. Some manufacturers don't get involved directly with customers and you'll have to go through an authorized dealer. But it's possible they may already have dealt with this. And for sure they need to know how their stuff is holding up.

Andrew R Stewart 01-16-21 11:17 AM

I highly doubt a bonding solution will work on the Al BB sleeve/insert (or what looks to be an insert, if the frame/shell were all one piece the crack would likely be visible from the outside). The insert has very little surface area on the crack's faces. Then there's the challenge of cleaning the crack's faces so any bonding agent will adhere to the insert and not the grime/corrosion that's likely there now.

I completely agree with first seeking a warranty or brand supplied fix. Only if after this "fails" would I consider going to a carbon repair expert. But much of this depends on what type of long term happiness you want with this bike. Andy

rydabent 01-16-21 11:37 AM

Are you the first owner and do you have proof of purchase. If so did your bike have a life time frame warranty? If so the Mfg owes you a new frame.

Iride01 01-16-21 12:44 PM

Not every failure of a frame or component is a warrantable item. Don't be filling the OP with foolish expectations.

dabac 01-16-21 03:29 PM

I can’t imagine any repair short of replacing the bb sleeve to do any good there. On the plus side, that seems fairly doable.

dvizz 01-16-21 06:42 PM

I bought the bike new on eBay and contacted bike manufacture with info and photos to no avail.. Warranties are only honored if the bike or frame is purchased from a authorized dealer. I haven't looked into finding a carbon repair shop to see if the shell could be replaced but that may be a viable option.

Andrew R Stewart 01-16-21 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by dvizz (Post 21881213)
I bought the bike new on eBay and contacted bike manufacture with info and photos to no avail.. Warranties are only honored if the bike or frame is purchased from a authorized dealer. I haven't looked into finding a carbon repair shop to see if the shell could be replaced but that may be a viable option.

This needs to be in bolded font! We sometimes find the true cost of a deal is not known, at first... Manufacturers can get a bad rep from those who believe that the full after the sale options are independent of how the sale happened. Andy

cxwrench 01-16-21 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by rydabent (Post 21880669)
Are you the first owner and do you have proof of purchase. If so did your bike have a life time frame warranty? If so the Mfg owes you a new frame.

Obvious that you don't understand how warranties work and what is actually covered vs what isn't.

Sy Reene 01-16-21 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart (Post 21881393)
This needs to be in bolded font! We sometimes find the true cost of a deal is not known, at first... Manufacturers can get a bad rep from those who believe that the full after the sale options are independent of how the sale happened. Andy

Sometimes. For example, Trek honors it's warranty for subsequent purchasers of their bikes for 3 yrs anyway. So it could be sold 3 or 4 times used, but if a copy of the original invoice travels with each sale, in theory Trek honors its warranty. This is admirable IMO (and helps used sellers pricing by potentially there still being a manufacturer warranty in place).

Maybe manufacturers should get a bad rap if they hide behind language that because you bought a bike used, the manufacturer is absolved of responsibility for poor quality.

rydabent 01-16-21 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by Iride01 (Post 21880795)
Not every failure of a frame or component is a warrantable item. Don't be filling the OP with foolish expectations.

But that is a frame failure, and a life time warranty should cover it. Why wouldnt the OP want to know.

rydabent 01-16-21 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by cxwrench (Post 21881462)
Obvious that you don't understand how warranties work and what is actually covered vs what isn't.

So tell me how life time warranties work. When my frame cracked I go a whole new model frame at no cost. They even paid for the component swap.

dabac 01-17-21 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by rydabent (Post 21881521)
So tell me how life time warranties work.

The lifetime it refers to is the lifetime of the item. When it fails, the manufacturer may simply say that the item had reached the end of its intended lifetime and that’s it. Unless you can make a good case that it failed prematurely, you’re SOL.

cxwrench 01-17-21 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by rydabent (Post 21881521)
So tell me how life time warranties work. When my frame cracked I go a whole new model frame at no cost. They even paid for the component swap.

Not every broken frame is a warranty. There are a great many things that can result in a cracked/broken frame that won't be covered.

Iride01 01-17-21 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by rydabent (Post 21881513)
But that is a frame failure, and a life time warranty should cover it. Why wouldnt the OP want to know.

While I want to agree that it is, I can't. I don't have the bike in front of me, I don't have the warranty in front of me and I don't know the other pertinent information.

So to claim it is a warranty item and the mfr owes the OP a new frame is silly.

Certainly the OP needs to get a determination from some representative of the manufacturer. And as mentioned, some manufacturers don't talk directly with the customer. Whether this is licensing agreements or what I've no idea. But the OP should find out. They need to read their warranty. Probably it states how to make a claim and whom to contact.

rydabent 01-17-21 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by dabac (Post 21881717)
The lifetime it refers to is the lifetime of the item. When it fails, the manufacturer may simply say that the item had reached the end of its intended lifetime and that’s it. Unless you can make a good case that it failed prematurely, you’re SOL.

And if that crack appeared at 6 months is that a "lifetime"????
Not if the warranty says for the lifetime of the original owner. Since that sleeve is basically cast into the CF frame, it is indeed part of the frame.

I guess I dont understand all the nay sayers on this. The damn frame failed and if he bought it new with a frame warranty, he should get a new frame-----------period. Of course some sleazy mfg will try to weasel out of it, but the guy needs to keep pushing till he gets what he is due.

rydabent 01-17-21 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by cxwrench (Post 21881860)
Not every broken frame is a warranty. There are a great many things that can result in a cracked/broken frame that won't be covered.

Other than a crash----------------what

In this case it is the shell INSIDE and part of the frame. Is there any damage to the frame outside the shell that would indicate a crash.?

BTW what is the brand of that bike.

cxwrench 01-17-21 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by rydabent (Post 21882285)
Other than a crash----------------what?

Seriously? Shipping damage. Improper mechanic practices. Neglecting maintenance. There are all sorts of things that can damage a frame that aren't covered by a 'defects in materials/workmanship' warranty.

rydabent 01-19-21 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by cxwrench (Post 21882296)
Seriously? Shipping damage. Improper mechanic practices. Neglecting maintenance. There are all sorts of things that can damage a frame that aren't covered by a 'defects in materials/workmanship' warranty.

You sound like a lawyer for a bike mfg that is trying to weasel out of honoring their warranty. Reputable mfg do honor their warranty like mine did. Remember built into the selling price of the bike is a certain amount of money the mfg thinks they will have to use for warranty replacements.

cxwrench 01-19-21 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by rydabent (Post 21884825)
You sound like a lawyer for a bike mfg that is trying to weasel out of honoring their warranty. Reputable mfg do honor their warranty like mine did. Remember built into the selling price of the bike is a certain amount of money the mfg thinks they will have to use for warranty replacements.

You have just proven that you don't really understand how nearly every warranty works. Many carbon rim manufacturers are going to a 'no fault/everything is covered' warranty but I am not aware of any that do that w/ frames. Or drivetrain components. Or any other item. I'm oh so happy that your issue was covered but that doesn't mean by any stretch of the imagination that every problem should be.

Geepig 01-20-21 05:30 AM

We do not know who or where the manufacture is, we do not know what caused the crack - so how can we know what the manufacturer should or should not do? I could sell you a brand new looking Romet Jubilat tomorrow, knowing that the manufacture, Romet SA, went to the wall in 2005 and won't be honouring any warranties.