Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Do you get tired of... (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1222581)

rsbob 01-28-21 01:38 PM

Do you get tired of...

People who ask what you did over the weekend, or what ever, and you tell them you rode your bike, or hiked, or ran, X miles, they feel compelled to tell you that they really need to get back into biking, hiking, or running again? It’s almost like they feel guilty for not being active and have explain it to you that they will do better.

I got so so tired of hearing it, I now don’t tell them distances but say something vague like, I went for a ride.

wadabout you?

hillyman 01-28-21 01:50 PM

All you can do is plant the seeds that might get them to do it. Never know

pdlamb 01-28-21 02:00 PM

If I've got time to tell someone how far or where I rode, I've probably got time to try to nudge them into getting started. "Why did you stop riding?" "What's keeping you from going for a ride?"

But for some reason, the number of people who ask what I did last weekend seems to decrease over time.

GlennR 01-28-21 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by rsbob (Post 21899404)
People who ask what you did over the weekend, or what ever, and you tell them you rode your bike, or hiked, or ran, X miles, they feel compelled to tell you that they really need to get back into biking, hiking, or running again? It’s almost like they feel guilty for not being active and have explain it to you that they will do better.

I got so so tired of hearing it, I now don’t tell them distances but say something vague like, I went for a ride.

wadabout you?

Fell better?

mstateglfr 01-28-21 02:17 PM

That doesnt happen to me so I dont get tired of it.
For me, they will ask how far, Ill tell them, then they will ramble on for a minute about how crazy/tiring/challenging/hot/tough it must be to ride that distance. It doesnt matter if I say 10mi or 70mi, the response is the same.

Their reaction is the same as how I react when someone says they went for a 15mi run. Or a 10mi run. Or a 5mi run. Or a jog down the block.

KJ43 01-28-21 02:37 PM

Take pity upon them.

indyfabz 01-28-21 02:42 PM

No.

Reflector Guy 01-28-21 02:45 PM

Biking seems fairly "normal" compared to most of my other hobbies, so I'd rather be asked about it than most other things.

russtopherb 01-28-21 02:49 PM

Don't think that's happened to me more than a handful of times. And every time I've said "yeah I felt that way too until I finally got off my butt and did it. Feels great, lemme know if you want to go riding some time" and that's that.

Notso_fastLane 01-28-21 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by shelbyfv (Post 21899533)
I do get tired of "how do...how many...how much... what do...what is....":twitchy:

Don't ever get a velomobile! ;)

Riveting 01-28-21 03:12 PM

My favorite is when I do a century+ over the weekend, come in Monday and answer that I rode 140 miles, and they always say "Wow, that's more than I drove my car all last week", and I always say "How many of those miles did you enjoy?", and they always say "None of them", and I always say "I enjoyed all of them".

Kapusta 01-28-21 03:36 PM

I just tell them “don’t bother, you are too lazy, weak, and uncoordinated”.

caloso 01-28-21 03:37 PM

No, actually I do not get tired of it. I tend not to talk specifics of my ride, but try to ask them if they have a bike, encourage them to ride it more, point out some routes they could take. More bikes = more better.

Reflector Guy 01-28-21 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by Riveting (Post 21899572)
My favorite is when I do a century+ over the weekend, come in Monday and answer that I rode 140 miles, and they always say "Wow, that's more than I drove my car all last week", and I always say "How many of those miles did you enjoy?", and they always say "None of them", and I always say "I enjoyed all of them".

If I told my mother I rode 140 miles, she'd probably get upset and ask why I didn't call her. She would have offered to drive me!

indyfabz 01-28-21 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by Reflector Guy (Post 21899616)
If I told my mother I rode 140 miles, she'd probably get upset and ask why I didn't call her. She would have offered to drive me!

:roflmao2:When I was preparing to ride across the US back in the day my mom questioned why I would want to put myself through all that torture. More than 3 months later I rode to the front of the house, pushed my bike up the lawn, opened the door and announced “I’m home!”

Phil_gretz 01-28-21 03:51 PM

No one asks me what I did over the weekend. So, I would welcome the question. Mostly...

GlennR 01-28-21 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by Phil_gretz (Post 21899637)
No one asks me what I did over the weekend. So, I would welcome the question. Mostly...

So what did you do?

I organized a closet in the basement and made soup.

epnnf 01-28-21 04:37 PM

For me, they always say 'great day for a ride, isnt it?'

Koyote 01-28-21 04:38 PM

No.

If this qualifies as a problem in your world, you really need to get some new problems.

indyfabz 01-28-21 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by GlennR (Post 21899682)
So what did you do?

On Saturday a friend of mine drove me to the grocery store. On Sunday another friend made me an early dinner, and we watched football. Then I went home and watched more football. Come to think of it, I also made soup Saturday night.

Happy Feet 01-28-21 04:49 PM

I get tired of people telling me what I did over the weekend.

It's embarrassing :(

JW in AK 01-28-21 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by Happy Feet (Post 21899724)

Yep. This is why I don't drink anymore. Though I don't drink any less either. :beer:

Koyote 01-28-21 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by Happy Feet (Post 21899724)

Best post I've seen here in a while.

Phil_gretz 01-28-21 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by GlennR (Post 21899682)
So what did you do?

I'm straining to remember. I rode Saturday, the Jeunet for maybe 13 miles. I checked all Christmas lights before boxing them, repaired some dead strings and replaced bulbs.

Sunday, church, and then played disc golf at Pohick Bay. Then I made dinner for my wife. We had a fire in the fireplace.

Thanks for asking!

EDIT: Oh, I cut down some ornamental grasses in the yard on Sunday and bagged the clippings.

Ghazmh 01-28-21 05:33 PM

I get tired of the same people asking me if I still ride a bike on the road, when I reply “yes! In fact I rode 60 miles this morning” they proceed to say “your crazy.”