Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Singlespeed & Fixed Gear (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=178)
-   -   bullhorn brake levers (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=440139)

chrissmedley 07-12-08 12:30 AM

bullhorn brake levers

i want to ride nitto bullhorns and a front brake at the same time. for those of you who have worked with this kind of set-up, where did you mount the lever and what kind of lever did you find to be most convenient?

secondary question: would it be a better idea for me to just grow a pair and forget the front brake idea when i ride these bars?

ps: don't answer the second question. i know.

sdge 07-12-08 01:28 AM

I have those bars and have a brake about 1" from the center. Works well.

K_phomma 07-12-08 02:33 AM

If you want it to be convenient check your hand positions ie the flats or "horns" or whatev.

bbattle 07-12-08 05:02 AM

I'd go with a time trial or inverse brake lever. When you need that brake, you'll also be needing maximum control of your bike and having your hands out on the horns is better than next to the stem.

dzinehaus 07-12-08 05:19 AM

^^ i ride bull horns with TT levers and am considering to put interleave (cross) levers on the flats so that what wever position I'm in I can brake from.

operator 07-12-08 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by bbattle (Post 7044898)
I'd go with a time trial or inverse brake lever. When you need that brake, you'll also be needing maximum control of your bike and having your hands out on the horns is better than next to the stem.

Yep.

maddyfish 07-12-08 07:32 AM

My bullhorns have time trial levers on them. These http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?c...0Road%20Brakes

anthegreat1 07-12-08 07:49 AM

I need those

Ride Among Us 07-12-08 07:56 AM

Q: what brand cross lever do i need to put it right up against the stem?
My cross lever only fits the bar an inch out from my stem (where the bar has gotten slightly smaller). I have wide hands and would prefer to move it over all the way to center So I have more room up top. I guess that would be 26.0 that i need.

legstwelve 07-12-08 08:15 AM

The Nitto Bars are 26mm at the clamp area so you're going to want to get a brake designed for that.
I have the Nitto RB-018 bars with the Diatech Dirty Harry brake and that sits nicely next to the stem.

Ride Among Us 07-12-08 08:16 AM

ok, i'll go look^ thanks.

bionnaki 07-12-08 09:46 AM

maddyfish: are you really a democrat that's going to vote for mccain? that's just dumb.

deathhare 07-12-08 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by bionnaki (Post 7045644)
maddyfish: are you really a democrat that's going to vote for mccain? that's just dumb.

yes, very dumb. :(

allencb 07-12-08 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by maddyfish (Post 7045214)
My bullhorns have time trial levers on them. These http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?c...0Road%20Brakes

I just got mine this morning. They seem pretty decent. I bought them and the Jailbreak calipers for $55 (added the Nashbar TT bar and a coupon code for $81 shipped).

Why, he's not really a Republican anyway.

Chris

chrissmedley 07-13-08 12:44 AM

can anyone recommend a time trial bar that looks nice on the end of some unwrapped nitto bullhorns? don't wanna be a ****** but do wanna look pretty while being safe.

Rattykins 07-13-08 01:36 AM

TT levers on unwrapped bullhorns...

Most of the TT levers I looked at when shopping for my setup were all black; probably a
strange contrast against unwrapped bullhorns. I have seen TT levers with silver levers, but the
cap portion of the brake is still generally black.

Incidentally, the cable is going to be rather unwieldy unless hidden under bar tape.
Just saying... <grin>

dddave 07-14-08 02:45 AM

cane creek 200tt's.

bbattle 07-14-08 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by chrissmedley (Post 7049333)
can anyone recommend a time trial bar that looks nice on the end of some unwrapped nitto bullhorns? don't wanna be a ****** but do wanna look pretty while being safe.

Get silver bartape.

sedition 07-14-08 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by chrissmedley (Post 7044613)
secondary question: would it be a better idea for me to just grow a pair and forget the front brake idea when i ride these bars?

ps: don't answer the second question. i know.

I'll answer it. Just in case.

If Sheldon Brown says to run one, then, well, there is no longer a need for debate.
http://sheldonbrown.com/fixed.html

maddyfish 07-14-08 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by allencb (Post 7045835)
I just got mine this morning. They seem pretty decent.

I like mine for the money.

maddyfish 07-14-08 07:31 AM

Dumb would be voting for an inexperienced junior senator who has gotten absolutely nothing done in his limited time in office who flippantly says we should bomb Iran and who has absolutely no idea whatsoever about foreign policy, the world economy, energy, homeland security, or illegal aliens.

That would be dumb.

nick burns 07-14-08 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by maddyfish (Post 7055399)
Dumb would be voting for an inexperienced junior senator who has gotten absolutely nothing done in his limited time in office who flippantly says we should bomb Iran

Uh....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-zoPgv_nYg

smp22 07-14-08 07:57 AM

Dumb would be voting for an inexperienced junior senator who has gotten absolutely nothing done in his limited time in office who flippantly says we should bomb Iran and who has absolutely no idea whatsoever about foreign policy, the world economy, energy, homeland security, or illegal aliens.

That would be dumb.

Does anyone really believe that a president's job is knowing this stuff anyway? That's what advisors are for. McCain can't even use a computer, I'm sure that fact doesn't bother his supporters because well .. we live in the age of information ... and well, I'm sure he's got some lackeys that will do all his computing and email for him.

bionnaki 07-14-08 08:11 AM

That would be dumb.

No, actually, dumb would be calling yourself a Democrat if you have such disagreement with the Obama and Democratic Party platform and more resemble a Republican.

xxguitarist 05-04-09 03:49 PM

Bumping an old thread.. Political nonsense aside, is there any real preferred option between a brake on the flat section or the reverse style brake a the end of the bullhorns?