Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=220)
-   -   Is anybody buying Titanium frames? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=914414)

Velo Fellow 09-22-13 08:16 PM

Is anybody buying Titanium frames?

Anyone recently bought or planning to buy a purely titanium frame..... or has it become Old School in the shadow of carbon fiber?

Mobile 155 09-22-13 08:26 PM

No there are a few places that still deal in Ti. Bikes Direct sells a pretty nice one that a friend of mine just bought. I believe some still make Scandium bikes as well. I don't know if any of the major companies still do because they are pretty much tooled up for Aluminum and CF. I think it is the price rather than being old school that limits their sales. Much like the new light weight steel it cost as much as CF so might as well get CF if you are going to want a CF fork, seat post, wheels and bars anyway. But for those that love Ti it is worth the cost.

big john 09-22-13 08:38 PM

I have a Seven Axiom which I bought used in 2012. It's a great bike, but quite stiff and jarring on rough roads. It feels a lot like the CAAD5 Cannondale I used to have.

Mobile 155 is right, the frame cost $3500, you could get a pretty decent cf bike for that.

Rick@OCRR 09-22-13 08:45 PM

I bought a Titanium GT Edge back in '98 and I still ride it a lot. To answer your question, yes, Titanium is somewhat old school, though not as old as aluminum or steel. If my GT were stolen or somehow destroyed I'd probably buy another Ti frame to replace it. Moots or Seven most likely.

Rick / OCRR

Popeyecahn 09-22-13 09:38 PM

I have a used Ti frame waiting for parts to build it up. Hopefully in a few weeks it'll be coursing the streets of San Diego!

Velo Fellow 09-22-13 10:15 PM

Popeyecahn......curious here-- frame brand?

tsl 09-22-13 10:31 PM

I bought my Ti frame second-hand three years ago. It's become my favorite bike.

When I wear out my primary commuter, I'll replace it with something in Ti. I haven't yet seen a carbon bike with rack and fender mounts. I need to bolt stuff to my bikes.

Titanium just fits my needs better. My primary use is transportation. My Litespeed goes to work half the time, and does errands. Unpainted Ti doesn't leave paint behind or collect scratches every time I lock up someplace. And around here, unpainted Ti is invisible to bike thieves.

From a fashion standpoint, the graphics-of-the-week, this year's tube shapes, and everything else contribute to carbon bikes looking dated in only a year or two. I can't count the number of times people have been blown away when I tell them my bike is 17 years old--18 now that the 2014s are out. "It still looks new," they tell me. Style never goes out of fashion.

Finally, showing up at a ride with new people on a Ti bike, with a light patina of road on it, tells folks exactly what they can expect of me as a rider, and that I won't have to be told to hold my line, or take my pull.

http://www.brucew.com/images/rides/2...lander-320.jpg
Hey, are those carbon wonderbikes trailing in my wake? ;)

Mobile 155 09-22-13 11:10 PM

[QUOTE=tsl;16094105]I bought my Ti frame second-hand three years ago. It's become my favorite bike.

When I wear out my primary commuter, I'll replace it with something in Ti. I haven't yet seen a carbon bike with rack and fender mounts. I need to bolt stuff to my bikes.

Titanium just fits my needs better. My primary use is transportation. My Litespeed goes to work half the time, and does errands. Unpainted Ti doesn't leave paint behind or collect scratches every time I lock up someplace. And around here, unpainted Ti is invisible to bike thieves.

From a fashion standpoint, the graphics-of-the-week, this year's tube shapes, and everything else contribute to carbon bikes looking dated in only a year or two. I can't count the number of times people have been blown away when I tell them my bike is 17 years old--18 now that the 2014s are out. "It still looks new," they tell me. Style never goes out of fashion.

Finally, showing up at a ride with new people on a Ti bike, with a light patina of road on it, tells folks exactly what they can expect of me as a rider, and that I won't have to be told to hold my line, or take my pull.

QUOTE]

Like I said those that like Ti don't care what others think nor do they care that the big guys aren't making Ti. To those that don't care for Ti they don't care what others think and would rather have the new graphics. Same as old cars, old motorcycles, wood verses Fiberglass boats. The two groups simply don't care what the others prefer. And the major manufacturers only care what people are willing to buy. With so many young riders coming along they simply get introduced the what the LBS and Bike Magazines are selling and when it comes time to vote with their wallet they get what they know about. The very qualities that make some love Ti, the flex, is the very quality I don't car for. Doesn't keep me from admiring my friends Motobecane. Though unlike you I find the unpainted look to be dated. Sort of like a Delorean. :D And I haven't mounted racks, bags or finders on a road bike in years. But I get the same reaction you do with my Klein. I have upgraded it quite a bit but when I say it is a 91 I get quite a few looks. :lol:

Zinger 09-22-13 11:38 PM

I know nothing about Ti except it's bad rep for flexing before the OS tubing started being used. Obviously it's being better appreciated since.

t4mv 09-23-13 01:00 AM

Originally Posted by Zinger (Post 16094214)
I know nothing about Ti except it's bad rep for flexing before the OS tubing started being used. Obviously it's being better appreciated since.

Yeah, that would probably be the Teledyne Titan. Whippier than a limp noodle until someone figured out you were supposed to OS the tubes and mix in something other than just Ti...

http://teamrcb.com/shop/wp-content/g.../titan_med.jpg

I have a 16 yo brushed Ti bike. I'd get a Moots if the opportunity ever presented itself.

bing181 09-23-13 02:17 AM

I had a Colnago Titanium, which I enjoyed immensely but moved on when a) I realised it wasn't THAT much more of a bike than my steel Merckx and b) I took out a friend's high-end CF bike.

But each to his/her own, and I can certainly understand the arguments for. I just feel though that these days, CF is where all the know-how is.

jdon 09-23-13 05:13 AM

There are old school Ti bikes and new school Ti bikes. They aren't as noodle like now as they were initially but they are expensive. I would sell every bike in the garage before the Ti bike but to each, his own.

Hendricks97 09-23-13 05:34 AM

Picked up my 2013 Ti Salsa Fargo a few months ago and its the best ride Ive ever had.

Wogster 09-23-13 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by Velo Fellow (Post 16093779)
Anyone recently bought or planning to buy a purely titanium frame..... or has it become Old School in the shadow of carbon fiber?

Ti, from what I understand has the light weight of aluminum, the strength of steel and (unfortunately) the cost of CF. Lot's of people who have it, like it.

jolly_ross 09-23-13 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by Wogster (Post 16094499)
Ti, from what I understand has the light weight of aluminum, the strength of steel and (unfortunately) the cost of CF. Lot's of people who have it, like it.

Very similar weight per volume to aluminium - but a tolerance to repeated flexing means that frames can be built thinner and lighter and give a bit more flex which translates to comfort. Aluminium can not be allowed to move at all as it will work harden very quickly and snap. Carbon is superior in many ways - except for cool. Cool is completely subjective and meaningless so probably best ignored. I have a Litespeed roadie and a Moots mtb- so clearly I am quite stupid.

mkane77g 09-23-13 07:01 AM

2010 Bianchi
http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/l...e63t/003-5.jpg

Terex 09-23-13 07:06 AM

If I was going to get a travel bike, it would be a Hampsten Cycles Strada Bianca Ti Travelissimo. Also, the Lynskey Cooper CX is supposed to be a fine bike.

rydabent 09-23-13 07:10 AM

I would 100 times rather have a titanium frame than a carbon fiber frame. IMO carbon frames are too tender and will not last. A titanium frame on the other hand if not wrecked will last a lifetime.

Popeyecahn 09-23-13 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by Velo Fellow (Post 16094070)
Popeyecahn......curious here-- frame brand?

Some crack pot in New York makes 'em, Ben something or another... ;)

Monoborracho 09-23-13 08:29 AM

After considering all makes and types - steel, carbon, titanium--- we ordered a custom Seven Ti Axiom SL tandem, with S&S couplers and it was delivered in summer of 2012.

This was probably the most expensive bike I'll ever own, and I would do it all over again.

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/m...L/IMG_8364.jpg

dbg 09-23-13 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by rydabent (Post 16094688)
I would 100 times rather have a titanium frame than a carbon fiber frame. IMO carbon frames are too tender and will not last. A titanium frame on the other hand if not wrecked will last a lifetime.

+1
I would love to experiment with some TI builds but costs keep me at bay. I have some CF but I also worry about their fragility. Travelling around, packing into vehicles, loading onto racks, etc --I worry about the wrong accidental blow cracking the CF. Steel (and presumably TI) is way more hardy IMO.

[Whoa, that's a very nice bike in that post above. Cool.]

rebel1916 09-23-13 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by jolly_ross (Post 16094641)
Very similar weight per volume to aluminium - but a tolerance to repeated flexing means that frames can be built thinner and lighter and give a bit more flex which translates to comfort.

Al frames are generally lighter than Ti frames. Even with the larger tubing.

Originally Posted by Rick@OCRR (Post 16093869)
Titanium is somewhat old school, though not as old as aluminum or steel. .

Rick / OCRR

Ti is WAY more old school than Al. For example, none of the major manufacturers make a Ti road bike, or even a Ti performance bike of any kind. Or as far as I am aware of ANY Ti bike. Where Al is still widely available everywhere, and technical innovation is still ongoing. See hydroformed tubing for example.

Popeyecahn 09-23-13 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by Monoborracho (Post 16094896)
After considering all makes and types - steel, carbon, titanium--- we ordered a custom Seven Ti Axiom SL tandem, with S&S couplers and it was delivered in summer of 2012.

This was probably the most expensive bike I'll ever own, and I would do it all over again.

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/m...L/IMG_8364.jpg

Is that the Hydration model?

tsl 09-23-13 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by dbg (Post 16094951)
I would love to experiment with some TI builds but costs keep me at bay.

This is why I went with second-hand. Kept the costs affordable. Unlike some other materials, there are no long-term durability issues or hidden damage issues to worry about either. It's a much safer bet than with other materials as they age.

Biker395 09-23-13 10:15 AM

I think my next bike will be Ti.

Light, strong, durable, and corrosion proof. What's not to like?