Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   What to do with a repainted '78 TX700? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1185963)

Cycle Tourist 10-17-19 01:14 PM

What to do with a repainted '78 TX700?

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...889d1aecdb.jpg
I'm totally scatterbrained on what to do about this bike. It's a "not so nice" repaint that has since been badly scratched over the repaint. The derailleurs are nice. The wheels original and the handlebars and seatpost stock. The shifters are campy frictions. Cantilever braze-ons were added later which precipitated the repaint. The thing cost $100 so there was no possible way to walk away.
The question is, now what. My initial reaction is to strip and clean, repaint, order new decals, add some brifters (I already have) and change very little else. The resale should net a nice profit and put a nice bike back to be enjoyed. I could strip and sell the parts and frame separately without doing much of anything. That rubs me the wrong way. I will see if a application of turp. will remove that brownish repaint. Maybe I could just touch up the blue scratches, add some Suntour barends, a rack and a decent saddle and tape and call it a day.
I invite anyone to weigh in on my project. The more, the merrier.https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...32c3b300b9.jpghttps://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...91b72a0441.jpg
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...b7e0f6aeff.jpg
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...8fc9c01d41.jpg
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...565300bcc1.jpg

noobinsf 10-17-19 01:34 PM

Does it fit? Go custom, then. Strip it and get it powder coated, and pick a single color you like, since the canti posts already deviate from stock. Pick some custom decals (not fakes, just make up your own) or leave it bare.

Wildwood 10-17-19 02:01 PM

Call it 'the winter bike' and ride it.

tkamd73 10-17-19 02:33 PM

Nice bike, and my size. If mine, I would strip the frame and take it to Yellow Jersey for a complete repaint with decals. No location in your info, so you might have to ship it. Or, if you want cheap, just powder coat it. I’d offer to buy it from you, but already have a perfect 77 TX900 in the same size, so a bit redundant.
Tim

Cycle Tourist 10-17-19 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by Wildwood (Post 21168245)

I like the idea but I live in San Diego so I'm not sure what this winter you speak of is.

Pompiere 10-17-19 03:02 PM

I'm following this thread because I'm in a similar situation. I recently acquired a Fuji S12-S with rough paint and missing several of the original parts. I could spring for a nice repaint or powder coat, but I don't care for the original color, so I am not planning to keep it original. Right now I am thinking I will paint it myself and upgrade some parts to make it into a nice all day bike. I just got it road worthy, so I may change my mind once I put a few miles on it.

SurferRosa 10-17-19 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by Cycle Tourist (Post 21168164)
My initial reaction is to strip and clean, repaint, order new decals, add some brifters (I already have) and change very little else. The resale should net a nice profit.

"Resale" where? Ebay? I'm in a big bike market, but the c&v target has dwindled. No way I could paint/decal a Trek and expect a local sale would net profit anymore. Especially one that size.

I could strip and sell the parts and frame separately without doing much of anything.
Unfortunately, that's now the way to make any $$ on a mid-level c&v with bad paint...

madpogue 10-17-19 03:12 PM

You checked the serial number v. vintage-trek? Based on the braze-ons, that does NOT look like a '78. Or maybe the top tube guides and the under-the-stay rear der. cable stop were all part of the in-service braze job. That would be in keeping with the early '80s style paneled livery. If that's all so, I'd be tempted to tape off the panel, sand smooth the nicks/scratches, and re-spray it to a color apropos to the panel. IOW, perpetuate the disguise. The keep/sell question is a whole 'nother thing.

Edit - one factor to consider for the keep/sell question - From what I've seen as a "spectator", seems like tall bikes don't sell fast.

Cycle Tourist 10-17-19 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by SurferRosa (Post 21168355)
"Resale" where? Ebay? I'm in a big bike market, but the c&v target has dwindled. No way I could paint/decal a Trek and expect a local sale would net profit anymore. Especially one that size.

Unfortunately, that's now the way to make any $$ on a mid-level c&v with bad paint...

Yeah. I know it's true but I just hate the idea of splitting up a set. Lol

eBay still has a market for good c&v stuff. Mostly from the middle eastern part of the country or NY.

Wildwood 10-17-19 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by Cycle Tourist (Post 21168346)
I like the idea but I live in San Diego so I'm not sure what this winter you speak of is.

Winter - San Diego = when the number of visitors makes everything more crowded.

Winter - a state of mind, ride the beater = it's a frankenbike Frek. :D

edit: used to live in Imperial Beach in the 70s. Froze my tush on a cloudy and blustery 4th of July.

jeirvine 10-18-19 09:06 AM

With the added canti posts, it would be a perfect candidate for a gravel bike. If the brakes can be adjusted to fit 700c rims, it would probably fit at least 32mm tires.

Cycle Tourist 10-18-19 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by madpogue (Post 21168376)
You checked the serial number v. vintage-trek?

Edit - one factor to consider for the keep/sell question - From what I've seen as a "spectator", seems like tall bikes don't sell fast.

I can't see very much if the serial number but the year digit appears to be an 8.
Really big or really small frames do have a limited market but people who need them are really motivated so it's kinda a wash. I haven't seen much difference moving a frame regardless of size. I'm drawn to the larger frames cause I can give them a good shakedown ride after a rebuild, plus I'm always tempted to add another bike to my "keepers" supply.🚲🚲🚲🚲

squirtdad 10-18-19 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by Wildwood (Post 21168245)

ok pub bike or other for anywhere else you want to go and not worry to much about it :) :beer:

Last ride 76 10-18-19 09:51 AM

:notamused::lol:

unterhausen 10-18-19 10:14 AM

that's not a '78 headbadge, they were attached with screws back then. Not sure when they switched to the glued on headbadges. That's one way I know if it's possible I built the frame.

Last ride 76 10-18-19 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by Cycle Tourist (Post 21168393)
Yeah. I know it's true but I just hate the idea of splitting up a set. Lol

eBay still has a market for good c&v stuff. Mostly from the middle eastern part of the country or NY.

I'm in the NYC burbs. I'll try a CL push, though the eBay crowd and CL buyers seem like different folks to me for the most part. My recent eBay bike/frame sales have all been out west... go figure. I always offer pickup, and would even meet-up after getting paid, but nooo, gotta pack and ship (and give ebay 10% of big shipping cost).

Cycle Tourist 10-18-19 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by unterhausen (Post 21169365)
that's not a '78 headbadge, they were attached with screws back then. Not sure when they switched to the glued on headbadges. That's one way I know if it's possible I built the frame.

Cool. I was only guessing. Italian NISI wheels, Cyclone derailers. Any ideas on the age?

Cycle Tourist 10-18-19 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by Last ride 76 (Post 21169376)
I'm in the NYC burbs. I'll try a CL push, though the eBay crowd and CL buyers seem like different folks to me for the most part. My recent eBay bike/frame sales have all been out west... go figure. I always offer pickup, and would even meet-up after getting paid, but nooo, gotta pack and ship (and give ebay 10% of big shipping cost).

I get it. I offer free delivery within 70 miles but also, nooo, I'm shipping to PA or upstate NY or Queens or Ohio. Funny! NOT. I use shipbikes. It's a little cheaper than eBay. CL buyers are mostly college kids looking for a Denali. Ugh! A few are looking for a classic daily commuter thank goodness. (Univega Viva Sport, Super LeTour etc.) The rare classics I can only sell through eBay.

Chr0m0ly 10-18-19 12:27 PM

My guess is an ‘83 700.
1983 Trek Bicycle Brochure Part 2
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...0de97fbb7.jpeg

Cycle Tourist 10-18-19 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by unterhausen (Post 21169365)

My new guess is '83. All models had the cable routed below the BB, the head badge got glued from 81 on and the only part of the serial number designating the year I can see is a rounded curve near the bottom.

Chr0m0ly 10-18-19 12:38 PM

And if it was mine I think I’d try to strip the new paint and see if the original is under it, then clear over any scratches and wax the frame.
Looks like a looong reach to those down tube shifters so I’d put some bar ends on it. I think a rando set up would be real classy. Polished fenders, a bar bag upfront, under seat roll bag, and lights, widest rubber you can fit.

madpogue 10-18-19 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by Cycle Tourist (Post 21169580)
My new guess is '83. All models had the cable routed below the BB, the head badge got glued from 81 on and the only part of the serial number designating the year I can see is a rounded curve near the bottom.

+1 on the cable routing and headbadge. OTOH, year digit is the fourth position of the serial number, which is squarely under that cable guide. I think you'll have to drill out those rivets to be able to see the whole serial number, so you have the full context and no ambiguity. I reckon @JohnDThompson or @unterhausen would know for sure, but I don't think Trek ever riveted on those cable guides. And the rivets look "too new".

That said, there are "time slip" bikes out there. I have one with a serial number for an '82 400-series. Frame size is consistent with the serial #, but it has an Ishiwata 022 fork, rack braze-ons, and '83-style under-the-BB cable routing. It also appears to be a respray. If you nose around on the other Trek threads here, you see references to similar bikes where the serial number and base features (exclusive of components) don't seem to match.

unterhausen 10-19-19 07:13 AM

Is there really new paint on there? That looks original to me. I'm probably missing something

The Golden Boy 10-19-19 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by unterhausen (Post 21170438)
Is there really new paint on there? That looks original to me. I'm probably missing something

I was thinking that too- but look on the pic of the rear dropout- it looks blue under the baby poo brown- plus the canti braze ons, removal of the BB cable guides and... wait a second...

is that a bottle boss on the underside of the DT?

stardognine 10-20-19 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by The Golden Boy (Post 21171185)
I was thinking that too- but look on the pic of the rear dropout- it looks blue under the baby poo brown- plus the canti braze ons, removal of the BB cable guides and... wait a second...

is that a bottle boss on the underside of the DT?

Good eye. 👍 You think it might be a 720? 🤔