Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Well, it finally happened, again (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1288306)

zosoride 02-07-24 02:08 PM

Well, it finally happened, again

Woke up in hospital with aching ribs, tubes attached in several areas, catheter being the most concerning.

I'm still in hospital room typing this out. My very first post.

Wife tells me she knew something was wrong since Strava link session never ended. All clothes were cut off, including hydro back pack.. As far as I know bike is still at fire station, apparently I knew something was wrong and the fire station was closest help.

Must have laid on grass for awhile, now covered in insect bites all over body, very sore chest from first aid, plus I've been a member of the zipper chest club since 2008, and ribs still aching like another name for a female canine from those fireman trying to save my life until the ambulance arrived.

Doc says he gonna place defibelater under chest skin just to the left of all those rib staples I got back in 2008.

I'm gonna go thank those fire fighters for saving my life as soon as I can leave this hospital, and get my bike back since doc says I can start riding again after two months.

Be careful out there, fellow cyclists.

mstateglfr 02-07-24 02:13 PM

Helluva first post. Cool that you were able to type it.

flan48 02-07-24 02:13 PM

Best wishes for a speedy recovery!
Regards

Flip Flop Rider 02-07-24 02:23 PM

wow. would be good to know exactly what happened..maybe someone will contact you with info

heal up

wheelreason 02-07-24 02:54 PM

I always thought bots were like tinmen...

SoSmellyAir 02-07-24 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by zosoride (Post 23150533)
Woke up in hospital with aching ribs, tubes attached in several areas, catheter being the most concerning.

I'm still in hospital room typing this out. ...

Doc says he gonna place defibelater under chest skin just to the left of all those rib staples I got back in 2008.

I'm gonna go thank those fire fighters for saving my life as soon as I can leave this hospital, and get my bike back since doc says I can start riding again after two months.

Best wishes toward your full recovery.

Originally Posted by Flip Flop Rider (Post 23150545)
wow. would be good to know exactly what happened..maybe someone will contact you with info

Maybe a heart attack? OP did mention a defibrillator.

Maelochs 02-07-24 03:10 PM

OP said he had major heart surgery--open heart surgery---probably a bypass or several---question is, did he push too hard, or was it organic, or what .... but he answered the only important question----he is still able to ride.

indyfabz 02-07-24 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by Maelochs (Post 23150584)
OP said he had major heart surgery--open heart surgery---probably a bypass or several---question is, did he push too hard, or was it organic, or what .... but he answered the only important question----he is still able to ride.

Wasn’t sure what he meant by rib staples. I call them sternum staples. Second time they put me back together better than they did in 1990. I used to get some cartilage pain and could often forecast damp, cool weather. :D

I’d show you a photo from last January, but no one wants to see that.

zosoride 02-07-24 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by wheelreason (Post 23150565)

Not sure what you're trying to say

Iride01 02-07-24 04:50 PM

Best wishes for your recovery. Hope none of this disqualifies you from riding again. One bad crash is plenty. Two is excessive. So be careful next time!

Welcome to BF.

big john 02-07-24 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by Iride01 (Post 23150674)
Best wishes for your recovery. Hope none of this disqualifies you from riding again. One bad crash is plenty. Two is excessive. So be careful next time!

Welcome to BF.

Was it a crash or a cardiac event? Or both?

zosoride 02-07-24 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 23150626)
Wasn’t sure what he meant by rib staples. I call them sternum staples. Second time they put me back together better than they did in 1990. I used to get some cartilage pain and could often forecast damp, cool weather. :D

I’d show you a photo from last January, but no one wants to see that.

Had quad bypass in 2008. 90,90,75,80% blockage. "Zipper chest"probably no longer valid term since heart surgery has advanced quite a bit to the point I don't think they have to crack open rib cages to do the work needed. I had massive heart attack then, now I've had another massive heart attack but I don't think they have to crack chests open , as they did back then, not sure really. Not sure, though, not sure about anything. It's really hard to type this out. My head hurts and it's too hard to concentrate to write anymore. Hopefully I will be out of hospital on Saturday as per doc, then I go from there, kinda like it seems you have. Sorry for your heart issues, I
know it sucks.

zosoride 02-07-24 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by wheelreason (Post 23150565)

alcjphil 02-07-24 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by zosoride (Post 23150676)
Had quad bypass in 2008. 90,90,75,80% blockage. "Zipper chest"probably no longer valid term since heart surgery has advanced quite a bit to the point I don't think they have to crack open rib cages to do the work needed. I had massive heart attack then, now I've had another massive heart attack but I don't think they have to crack chests open , as they did back then, not sure really. Not sure, though, not sure about anything. It's really hard to type this out. My head hurts and it's too hard to concentrate to write anymore. Hopefully I will be out of hospital on Saturday as per doc, then I go from there, kinda like it seems you have. Sorry for your heart issues, I
know it sucks.

You are one lucky camper. My best wishes going forward

CAT7RDR 02-07-24 05:13 PM

it wasn't your time to go.
I ride solo 99% of the time but realize at 60 y/o, having a riding buddy or group would be wise.

Edit: I was involved in an accident from a dropped chain and flipping upside down onto a sidewalk while wearing a padded and 1/2 full 2 liter Camelback.
I would swear an oath that the Camelback spared me from more serious injury than whiplash and a concussion. Of course the Lazer Helmet did its job too.

zosoride 02-07-24 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 23150675)
Was it a crash or a cardiac event? Or both?

I think I fell off bike trying to get to fire station, so both kinda

datlas 02-07-24 06:07 PM

Heal up asap and best wishes for a full recovery.

big john 02-07-24 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by zosoride (Post 23150713)

Best of luck going forward. Let us know about your progress.

mpetry912 02-07-24 07:10 PM

oh buddy, heal up well and best wishes

/markp

alcjphil 02-07-24 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by zosoride (Post 23150713)

A friend of mine suffered an event which he referred to as a "widowmaker" a couple of years ago. He was lucky enough that the cyclist following him was also a cyclist and a paramedic. The fire station was only a kilometre away, so he received prompt help. My friend had no history of hearts problems, yet he survived due to fast intervention

Bassmanbob 02-07-24 07:48 PM

Godspeed on your recovery!!!

rsbob 02-07-24 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by zosoride (Post 23150640)

He is being obnoxious and inappropriate. You will notice that after finding out about your medical emergency, he has gone quiet - probably out of shame or embarrassment. Just ignore him.

Heal fast, welcome to the board and no more cardiac events.

ScottCommutes 02-07-24 09:09 PM

Welcome to the forum. Wishing for a speedy recovery.

PeteHski 02-08-24 03:39 AM

Sounds like you had a rough ride there, but keep hanging in! Hope your recovery goes well and you can get back on your bike soon.

Bogey Speedwell 02-08-24 05:47 AM

Best of luck with the healing!