Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Is a spare bike necessary? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1204269)

DreamRider85 06-10-20 05:23 PM

Is a spare bike necessary?

I have a road bike and mountain bike. I think I’m good. But what if you were to go on a bike trip and the day before your bike gets messed up. Would it be good to have a spare or is it not necessary?

Kapusta 06-10-20 05:41 PM

Yes, you should have two of each (MTB and Road). And don't make the mistake so many do and skimp on the "spare" bike.

Paul Barnard 06-10-20 05:44 PM

Why do the mods put up with this crap?

caloso 06-10-20 05:47 PM

At a minimum, you should have a road bike, MTB, CX/gravel bike, TT bike, and utility/beater bike.

shelbyfv 06-10-20 06:18 PM

Preparing to ride with my group today and darned if the bike didn't have a flat tire. Thank goodness there was a spare bike right there next to it. You definitely need an extra for each type. Since we may be talking virtual bikes, why not two extras?

Pugs2xLove 06-10-20 06:24 PM

My wife complained about our garage looking like a bike shop the other day with me having 3 bikes (MTB, Road and Commuter) plus her Cruiser so I told her that I could use a Winter bike and then maybe one day a Bikepacking bike hehe. Don't think that sat well with her lol.

Leinster 06-10-20 06:25 PM

blakcloud 06-10-20 07:49 PM

Of course spare bikes. I had two exact Masi bikes, one as my back up. I even had them custom painted at Velo Colour. These were my commuter bikes so it was nice when one had a flat I had the back up. Did I need two exact bikes? Of course not but it was nice at the time. I stopped commuting by bikes so I eventually sold them.
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...616eae39e9.jpg

Camilo 06-10-20 08:03 PM

I'll just speak of road bikes, but I do have one mountain bike.

For road bikes, the minimum is one of each of the four major materials, steel, aluminum, carbon fiber and titanium. I would consider this basic, and none are really "spares" because, for example, if the titanium bike has a flat tire, you don't have another titanium bike to grab and go. And, at least as far as steel goes, you'd probably need to have a contemporary steel with modern parts, and a vintage steel with - at the very least - period correct parts, if not as-built. And a back up for both of those too. So 12.

DeadGrandpa 06-10-20 08:35 PM

Pffft. Your folding bike is the spare for the road bike. Her hybrid is the spare for her road bike. You need a road tandem and a HT gravel tandem, a rigid plus bike for bikepacking and a FS trail bike. And a couple extra wheelsets for the variety in ride quality. What else is there that makes you feel the need to spend money? Oh yeah, get some lightweight camping gear.

Korina 06-10-20 08:39 PM

But what if your main bike has a flat but you never got around to lubing the chain on your spare? You need a spare for your spare! :D

I assume you're being facetious, 'cause this is the wrong place to be told you don't need another bike.

JanMM 06-10-20 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by DreamRider85 (Post 21526820)
I have a road bike and mountain bike. I think I’m good. But what if you were to go on a bike trip and the day before your bike gets messed up. Would it be good to have a spare or is it not necessary?

Yes.

tomato coupe 06-10-20 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by Paul Barnard (Post 21526859)

What's the issue?

frogman 06-10-20 08:51 PM

The issue is he is jealous because he doesn't have a spare bike :lol:

Ross520 06-10-20 09:21 PM

Depends on the person. Folks who aren't as passionate (a.k.a., crazy) as most of us on the forums might be content with just one neighborhood cruiser. On the other hand of the spectrum, you have people such as myself who would have 30 or 40 bikes if they had the space and could afford them.

Purchase however many bikes makes you happy.

Russ Roth 06-10-20 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by caloso (Post 21526863)
At a minimum, you should have a road bike, MTB, CX/gravel bike, TT bike, and utility/beater bike.

A TT bike is a want not a need, obviously you meant fixie or SS.

Personally I don't understand the whole spare concept, seems like s waste of money.
Once you have a road, cross, gravel, fixie, hardtail, dual suspension, TT, hybrid, cruiser, fat bike, tandem and house bike* you should be all set though maybe you want to distinguish between a performance and endurance road bike but after that what's the point of a spare?

*Wife's term meaning the retired road bike that is permenantly relegated to trainer duty

bargo68 06-10-20 09:36 PM

Yessssssssss!

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...f09b602753.png

MarcusT 06-10-20 10:18 PM

I not only want a spare bike, I want to be like the pros and have my team follow me in a car with the spare bikes ready to go.

unterhausen 06-10-20 10:26 PM

Moderator's note: there is effectively no limit to how many people you can have on your ignore list.

Wildwood 06-10-20 10:48 PM

Daddy always said = The right tool for the job makes the task a pleasure.

As a cyclist that means = the right gearing/tires/geometry for the course.

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...05d56343c.jpeg
Steel, Ti, Carbon.

Solo_rider 06-11-20 02:29 AM

I don't really need two bikes but I WANT 2 or 3 just for the heck of it.

indyfabz 06-11-20 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by unterhausen (Post 21527346)
Moderator's note: there is effectively no limit to how many people you can have on your ignore list.

I guess some people care about the integrity of the forum. Just a guess.

indyfabz 06-11-20 06:45 AM

If you really think about it, the question answers itself.

bblair 06-11-20 07:08 AM

N+1=S-1

Solve for that number where marital bliss equals bicycling nirvana. But I am not sure which side of the equation a tandem belongs. Depends on the day, I guess.

bikecrate 06-11-20 09:26 AM

Yes, make sure you have them at all times just in case.
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...1412726afd.jpg

ZIPP2001 06-11-20 09:46 AM

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...106d71551e.jpg
A single speed, time trial, and standard road bike for the pavement. A 29 plus bike, 27 fat bike, and 26 fat bike for the trails. The benifit of extra trail bikes is I can have friends who don't have a trail bike come out a play in the woods with me. It's worked well because over the last couple years those who have used my bikes a few times then went and bought there own.

GrainBrain 06-11-20 09:48 AM

I am thankful for my LBS, went to ride my bike one day and a spoke had pulled through the rim, ruining it. An old wheel anyway, I went to the LBS and bought a decent rear wheel and was able to save a gorgeous summer day. Take that Amazon!

Koyote 06-11-20 09:51 AM

Seems like we might need a spare bike forum.

AlmostTrick 06-11-20 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by Paul Barnard (Post 21526859)

Were the forum rules breached here? If so, I don't see it.

Originally Posted by unterhausen (Post 21527346)

Thank you!

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 21527612)
I guess some people care about the integrity of the forum. Just a guess.

I care about it, and I'm glad to be a part of a forum that can have some light hearted fun now and then. A look at some of the silly replies in this thread shows that many here agree! If someone doesn't find it fun maybe they can just look away?

tomato coupe 06-11-20 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by Phil_gretz (Post 21527643)
You're new here? @DreamRider85 is a special member of these forums, known for his/her particular style of... um... conversation starters, shall we say. His/her posts are like silent farts at a cocktail party or a tootsie roll tossed into the pool. He/she lives in constant tension between living and fearing life itself. It's profound. He/she is modern man/woman in all ways.

I see. The issue is the poster, not the post?