Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Folding Bikes (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=221)
-   -   Italian folding bike (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1228237)

Tickles 04-14-21 10:02 AM

Italian folding bike

Hi
I recently purchased a olmo ondina Italian folding bike and can't seem to find any information on them. I am also looking for photos of others to compare to mine so I can see what might be missing and what goes where.
Thank you for your help

Geepig 04-14-21 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by Tickles (Post 22014379)
Hi
I recently purchased a olmo ondina Italian folding bike and can't seem to find any information on them. I am also looking for photos of others to compare to mine so I can see what might be missing and what goes where.
Thank you for your help

Welcome to the forum!

I would love to see your bike, it is rare for anyone to post anything but the usual Dahons, Bromptons etc. You just need to make at least 10 posts and then you can add pictures.

My interest is Polish Romets, and I learn a lot by haunting the auction sites and using Google Translate to help me figure out the names of the things I am searching for. You can find loads of pictures that way - and then there are always people breaking bikes and selling the parts on the same sites.

Many years ago I ran a small single-cylinder Honda site, and I largely populated it with pictures and information garnered from auction sites - I would just ask the sellers if I could use their pictures!

Tickles 04-15-21 11:25 AM

Italian folding bike

Thank you for the welcome and your reply. I saw the one on the live auction site and I was able to find one on this forum mixed with a bunch of other bikes but those are the only two I have found. I can find lots of other Italian folding bikes just not this one. Once I am able to I will add photos of my bike.
Thanks again for your reply.

Geepig 04-16-21 03:10 AM

Well, it is a handsome enough machine, with good 1970s styling and some very nice features. I have never seen a headstock like that before - cute!

Winfried 04-16-21 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by Tickles (Post 22014379)
I recently purchased a olmo ondina Italian folding bike and can't seem to find any information on them.

Vintage bike

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=%22olmo+on...ges&iax=images

Tickles 04-16-21 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by Geepig (Post 22017108)
Well, it is a handsome enough machine, with good 1970s styling and some very nice features. I have never seen a headstock like that before - cute!

Thank you. May I ask what I headstock Is?

Tickles 04-16-21 06:11 PM

Italian folding bike

Thank you for the link Winfried. There was one like mine on there.

Geepig 04-18-21 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by Tickles (Post 22018221)
Thank you. May I ask what I headstock Is?

The head tube, which holds the front forks. Sometimes I use words for motorcycles, because I used to be an engineer with a motorcycle manufacturer...

Tickles 04-18-21 09:07 AM

Italian folding bike

Thank you Geepig. I appreciate the reply and the clarification.

rhenning 04-18-21 02:49 PM

Geepig if you are going to be correct it is a fork on a bicycle not forks as there is only one of them. Roger

Tickles 04-19-21 09:35 PM

Italian folding bike

Does anyone know how the gears are set up on a Italian folding bicycle? The bike I recently purchased has a shifter on the handle bars and a cable going towards the back but not attached to anything. Can't seem to figure out how the cable attaches and then how the gears would work.

Schwinnsta 04-20-21 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by Tickles (Post 22022528)
Does anyone know how the gears are set up on a Italian folding bicycle? The bike I recently purchased has a shifter on the handle bars and a cable going towards the back but not attached to anything. Can't seem to figure out how the cable attaches and then how the gears would work.

Make ten posts by posting "post 7" till you get to 10 then post pictures so we can see what you are dealing with.

Tickles 04-20-21 09:40 AM

Italian folding bike

Thank you Schwinnsta for your response. I am working on the posts I believe I only have a couple more and then I will post a picture of the bike.

Tickles 04-20-21 09:44 AM

Italian folding bike

Originally Posted by rhenning (Post 22020487)
Geepig if you are going to be correct it is a fork on a bicycle not forks as there is only one of them. Roger

Thank you for the clarification rhenning.
Everyone's information is helpful.

Tickles 04-21-21 05:52 PM

Italian folding bike

Is anyone here from Ontario Canada?

Geepig 04-22-21 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by Tickles (Post 22022528)

The rear hub on those look like a Sturmey Archer 3-speed hub, but whatever the brand or model they attach to what would normally be the wheel nut on the chain side of the rear hub,

Tickles 04-22-21 10:57 AM

Italian folding bike

Thank you Geepig. That video is helpful I appreciate it.

Tickles 04-22-21 11:01 AM

Italian folding bike

I have finally made it to 10 posts.
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...1437b20e7c.jpg
Not the best photo but this is the bike I have been talking about. I will try to acquire some better photos soon.

Geepig 04-26-21 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by Tickles (Post 22026358)
I have finally made it to 10 posts.
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...1437b20e7c.jpg
Not the best photo but this is the bike I have been talking about. I will try to acquire some better photos soon.

Looks very stylish, and with a bit of a deep clean and fresh whitewall tires it will be fabulous again!

Falconista 04-26-21 10:12 AM

A clean would be great, but be careful with solvents like white spirit or meths. They are great at getting rid of engrained grime but also disastrous for some difficult to replace stickers or transfers. I found this out the hard way once, and now something use soap and water.