Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Cougar attack in Washington state, killing one cyclist (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1202097)

aclinjury 05-20-20 04:09 PM

Cougar attack in Washington state, killing one cyclist

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/20/u...vlrnpcXh4uRMbQ

It appears that they cyclists were on a gravel trail?
If the 2 cyclists had stuck together and stood their ground, would this have deter the cougar?
a 100 pound male cougar is no joke.

bikemig 05-20-20 04:13 PM

This is terrible news. I was cornered up on a ledge once by a mother cougar with three cubs when I was out hiking. She put her body between me and the cubs and they went down the path. Cougars are no joke but they do not normally see us as prey.

Cyclist0108 05-20-20 04:14 PM

Hello, and welcome to 2018.

bikemig 05-20-20 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by wgscott (Post 21487251)

lol, OK zombie thread

Tacoenthusiast 05-20-20 05:25 PM

You need at least 3 cyclists to deter a cougar, mainly due to the scrawny cycling arms.

Another good reason to never ride without a laser pointer, they're great at distracting cats

chaadster 05-20-20 05:29 PM

It’s not the thread that’s zombie, just the news report.

In any case, I don’t recall having heard about this, and yeah, it’s a weird case. Who knows what would have happened, but I like to think I’d have had the presence of mind to pursue the cat a bit to make sure it was run off. Who knows...I’d be nervous AF to discover a puma was chasing me from behind on the creep-tip. Surprise me once, shame on me, surprise me twice, and I’m gonna try to scare your overgrown *****cat ass from trying that **** again. I hope. ;)

Oneder 05-20-20 05:54 PM

Please stop posting garbage from nytimes that requires registration.

aclinjury 05-20-20 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by Oneder (Post 21487455)
Please stop posting garbage from nytimes that requires registration.

what are you talking about? I'm able to read it just fine! Maybe you're running an ad blocker?

Alzerbster 05-20-20 06:07 PM

Most always I carry a firearm when riding. From the story, I would have to guess a firearm carried by either person, would have saved the bikers life.

aclinjury 05-20-20 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by wgscott (Post 21487251)

well it's only 1 year old. 2020 has been reset

CAT7RDR 05-20-20 06:11 PM

82% efficiency rate of kill is the highest among lone mammals. Cougars will stalk you without you even being aware you are a prey item. Never saw one in the wild and hope I never do.

aclinjury 05-20-20 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by Alzerbster (Post 21487482)
Most always I carry a firearm when riding. From the story, I would have to guess a firearm carried by either person, would have saved the bikers life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hL8uzR3Jn_s

carry a gun while riding? is it allowed? i.e, rangers won't give you sh8t?

StarBiker 05-20-20 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by Alzerbster (Post 21487482)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hL8uzR3Jn_s

I remember this story. If you can pull a firearm out and shoot that cat while on a bike, and the animal being a full stealth hunter...........:rolleyes:

And this is incredibly rare!

But yeah, I though it happened again......

sdmc530 05-20-20 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by CAT7RDR (Post 21487492)
82% efficiency rate of kill is the highest among lone mammals. Cougars will stock you without you even being aware you are a prey item. Never saw one in the wild and hope I never do.

this^^^^^

amazing animals. Went elk hunting a few years back in MT, the rockies. One morning we went up to camp early, EARLY, the second half was about15 minutes behind us. They followed lion prints in the snow all the way up the trail. When they got about 1/4 mile out from the camp the lion was laying under a pine staring at us screwing around. They shot towards the lion and it ran off. The thing was it stalked us up the whole morning and we didn't even know it. Freaked me the heck out!!!

downtube42 05-20-20 07:52 PM

Normally wouldn't post to zombie news threads, but it just so happens I have a RWGPS route planning tab open at this moment with, uh, guess what exact location I'm plotting :eek:.

The really bad news is, between my buddy and me, I'm the slow one. OTOH, I'm 205lbs and he's 160, so there's that.

Alzerbster 05-20-20 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by StarBiker (Post 21487620)
I remember this story. If you can pull a firearm out and shoot that cat while on a bike, and the animal being a full stealth hunter...........:rolleyes:

And this is incredibly rare!

But yeah, I though it happened again......

It says they were talking about the incident, and the cat returned, so yes if a firearm was present, there was a good chance it could have saved his life. Don't know if one could pull a firearm and protect themselves from being killed by a cat, but I'd sure like to have that chance if one did attack. Also cats are not the only thing you can be attacked by when riding.

Cyclist0108 05-20-20 08:01 PM

We have them where I live. I've had the good fortune to be able to watch them from the safety of a car.

Dirt Farmer 05-20-20 08:14 PM

OK, here we go.... kill all the cougars; kill all the big bees because they could be "murder hornets". Where will it all end?

StarBiker 05-20-20 08:37 PM

^
Duke Wayne a few posts above gonna kill da beast! :fred:

Wileyrat 05-20-20 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by Dirt Farmer (Post 21487705)
OK, here we go.... kill all the cougars; kill all the big bees because they could be "murder hornets". Where will it all end?

I'm pretty sure nobody said anything like that, but feel free to exaggerate to absurdity.

I was born and raised up there, and while I was rarely armed, after seeing both bear and cougar tracks, I knew I was not at the top of the food chain. We as humans aren't very good at defending ourselves from animals at the top without weapons.

Even the cavemen knew not to take on a sabertooth cat without a spear.

bruce19 05-20-20 08:51 PM

I was interested in the cougar thread until I realized we weren't talking about older women.

Cyclist0108 05-20-20 08:55 PM

Keep track: Santa Cruz Puma Project |

FatRap64 05-20-20 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by Dirt Farmer (Post 21487705)

No reason to kill 'em all – just the one that's thinking about jumping you.

CAT7RDR 05-20-20 09:20 PM

As long as there are Ungulates (prey) there will likely be cougars as well.

Bill in VA 05-20-20 10:23 PM

Ride in groups of 3, you only need to be the fastest or the runner-up. And stay away from cliffs and ledges. :speedy: