Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Bike Grips (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1241204)

Gokou3036 10-26-21 12:22 PM

Bike Grips

I recently purchased a Trek 820 second hand and I'm enjoying it so far. One issue that does need addressing is the bike grips have started to fall apart. I like the look of the Ergon GP3 grips but I wasn't sure if they were worth their premium price or if I should just buy a knockoff. Anyone here have some insight regarding those style grips?

Phil_gretz 10-26-21 01:16 PM

I have use Ergon grips and have also used knock-off versions. My only recommendations for you are: (1) make certain that the grip has locking rings at both ends (inner and bar end), and (2) check that the palm pad area is large enough for your comfort. This second point is quite subjective. My wife prefers a smaller pad than I do, presumably because of our relative hand size, but not necessarily so.

I have customers who have grips that mimic the Ergon shape, but lack the locking rings. Those slip around and invariably return to me out-of-whack when it's time for servicing on the bike.

Route 66 10-26-21 01:26 PM

I don't have any experience with the GP3 grips but I've had a pair of Ergon GP1's on my bikes for years and I wouldn't be without them. Well worth the premium price in my opinion.

70sSanO 10-26-21 03:27 PM

I bought some cheap knockoffs without the lockrings. They move some but it is on a bike that just sees street use so it doesn’t bother me.

On my mtb’s I use ESI Extra Chunky grips. I didn’t want the Ergon flange when riding on the trails.

John

Fendertele 10-26-21 04:11 PM

GP5’s on my wife’s bike and she likes them a lot. The gp3’s are $20 less. Didn’t try any of the other brands.

M Rose 10-26-21 04:20 PM

I bought GP3 Knockoffs, I love the feel, but the quality sucks… the clamp set screw holes were stripped on arrival so I had to drill and tap for a larger clamp screw and they still didn’t clamp right. I will be going with the actual Ergon GP3s in the very near future.

benetga 10-26-21 05:44 PM

I'm using the gp4 and they're very comfortable for my big hands. I just got them dialed in. I went back and forth in deciding which model to get. When putting my hands on the horns it most comfortable to have three fingers there with my thumb resting on the top. They claim you should be able to do this with the gp3 but I don’t think I could. Yes they are pricey but they made all the difference.

benetga 10-26-21 05:50 PM

Oh, one more thing, my grips only have one locking screw per grip.

CAT7RDR 10-26-21 05:51 PM

Have the GP3 on my Trek 29er.
No complaints. Good quality. Just make sure you have the right angle for max comfort.

veganbikes 10-26-21 08:21 PM

I use Ergon grips on all my flat bar bikes, there is no substitute for them. The knockoffs aren't of the same quality, shaping material...they may look a little more similar but they don't have the same ergonomics and aren't using medical grade rubber and biokork (if you get the biokork grips) most of those grips are just soft cheap rubber so the support isn't quite there. Plus it is better to support the actual companies who design this stuff rather than those faking stuff.

Bryan C. 10-27-21 06:18 AM

Ergon GA3 in large are my preferred grips. It may take a few rides to get the angle adjusted to your liking but they are super comfortable for long rides.

https://www.ergonbike.com/en/article-ga3.html

Gokou3036 10-27-21 07:05 AM

Good points all. I ended up ordering some GP1s I found on sale as long as I'm not in a hurry, with the cold season coming I thought the wait was worth my savings. I can live with the degrading rubber I have for my next few rides. Thanks for all the input!