Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Commuting (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Any tricks you can share to deal with tall grass? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=909041)

sailor2 08-23-13 08:53 AM

Any tricks you can share to deal with tall grass?

Part of my commute takes me through about 300 ft long patch of non mowed grass.
Tallest it's ever been is about chest high, but this varies during the year.
Me, few walkers and animals made a little path through it but it's very narrow.
Any tricks you can share to avoid getting the grass in the derailer, casette and chainring?
Hopping off the bike and walking it, is not the preferred option as I would need to carry a change of shoes/socks/pants to work.

PlanoFuji 08-23-13 09:17 AM

Periodically go out and cut it down? Find a different route?

squegeeboo 08-23-13 09:26 AM

Why does walking it require you to have an extra set of clothes?

ill.clyde 08-23-13 09:31 AM

There isn't another option? A nearby sidewalk? A neighboring road?

dramiscram 08-23-13 09:52 AM

A gallon of gaz and and lighter...

fietsbob 08-23-13 10:10 AM

Commuter Mower..

Taller Elephant. ... or,

You need to keep a flock of sheep there and keep it grazed short.

Squeeze 08-23-13 10:22 AM

I'm assuming this is public property. If so, why not cut the grass? I'm serious.

If it's 300 feet long and very narrow, you could clear that with one walk-through with a weed-eater/string-trimmer, if you or a neighbor or a friend has one. You can also rent them from Home Depot, etc.

Put it in your car, drive there on a non-commuting day, and buzz the grazz and weeds down as low as you can. If you're using this as a cut-through, others probably are too and will appreciate it.

Obviously you don't want one with a power cord for a stealth mission like this, so use one that's gas-powered, or better yet - for quieter operation - use one with a rechargeable battery.

Random image from google:

http://i.walmartimages.com/i/p/00/02...00_500X500.jpg

Rootman 08-23-13 10:22 AM

I'm afraid you're SOL friend, a few scenarios have already been listed and the worst of the bunch is hidden obstacles, a short stretch of a route I sometimes take has the same high grass, the last time I cut through there I nearly ran over a broken bottle.

Another path I take is a actual walking / bike path through a failed subdivision, all laid out with streets and this neat little path cut right through it. The last time I took it I got a small twig ground up in my derailer and came to a grinding halt.

So short of being a hero and toting your mower over there and mowing it, or finding an alternative I'm afraid ther eis little you can do.

tigerteeuwen 08-23-13 10:49 AM

anyone have a picture of that bike with the push lawn mower front end for this thread? lol

no1mad 08-23-13 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by squegeeboo (Post 15991494)

I'm thinking wet grass, maybe mud, stickers, and possibly the fang marks of a striking serpent.... which I would have to change at least my shorts if that ever happened to me.

Fargo Wolf 08-23-13 10:55 AM

There's not much you can do, aside from stopping and picking the grass out of wherever it managed to get caught. Is there an alternate route available, or is that out of the question for safety type reasons?

Originally Posted by squegeeboo (Post 15991494)

Nothing like showing up at work with the lower part of your pants sporting a load of burrs...

Originally Posted by dramiscram (Post 15991611)
A gallon of gaz and and lighter...

I think the police, fire dept. and Forest service might have something to say about that tactic, though I can certainly understand the sentiment. :lol: :P

no1mad 08-23-13 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by tigerteeuwen (Post 15991830)
anyone have a picture of that bike with the push lawn mower front end for this thread? lol

The one who suggested the 'scorched earth' approach in the sixth post has it as their avatar.

tigerteeuwen 08-23-13 10:57 AM

I was also thinking you could pull a kids bike trailer and afix roman gladiator esk scyes to the wheels.

squegeeboo 08-23-13 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by Fargo Wolf (Post 15991855)
Nothing like showing up at work with the lower part of your pants sporting a load of burrs...

Eh, if it gets up to chest high, you're getting burrs, moisture, etc regardless.

Fargo Wolf 08-23-13 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by squegeeboo (Post 15991873)
Eh, if it gets up to chest high, you're getting burrs, moisture, etc regardless.

True enough.

ThermionicScott 08-23-13 12:00 PM

Different route or:

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/...chete_m251.jpg

tjspiel 08-23-13 12:50 PM

On some day you have off just ride back and forth through there about 100 times.

Erick L 08-23-13 09:26 PM

Put some wide BMX wheel bars and make a crop circle.

xtrajack 08-24-13 06:09 AM

Some things I just don't do.
Riding in tall grass is one of them.
Last time I rode in tall grass, I was trying to straighten a fast down hill right angle turn, by cutting across the lawn of the house on the corner.
I hit the ditch (which I didn't see, and didn't know, that should have been there.) I flew through the air, landing with my head a handspan's width from a large rock.

Bug Shield 08-24-13 07:00 AM

I ride through a similar patch of cockleburs. On my single speed no big deal. The same would be true for an IGH. My commuter has derailleurs though and the rear is lately picking up enough crap that I have stopped riding that route though I prefer it.

We had been riding it enough to keep them knocked down but have had good rain this year so have fallen behind. I'm going to go ride it a dozen times on my motorcycle and guess that will do the trick. If that doesn't work I'll probably have to hit it with the weed whacker or a scythe.

Badger6 08-24-13 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by PlanoFuji (Post 15991449)
Periodically go out and cut it down? Find a different route?

This. Why do you have to include this in your route, especially since it is only 300ft (100m...the same distance Usain Bolt covers when getting the gold)?

sailor2 08-25-13 07:22 PM

OP here,
thanks for all good (and not so good) ideas :thumb:
This is a shortcut through a meadow, wet and muddy, frequently going through 4 inches of water, but saves me at more than 2 miles of an alternate route (which is nasty, narrow, 45mph, no shoulder road).
I've ridden through it over 100 times this year, I'm just looking for ideas to keep grass from the derailer & cassette.
I try to "dethatch" :lol: these twice a week, but I was hoping for a better is solution.

Originally Posted by tjspiel (Post 15992266)
On some day you have off just ride back and forth through there about 100 times.

The excessive rains we have this year, make it grow fast (more than a foot over a weekend). Would need to come ride here every weekend :)

Originally Posted by Erick L (Post 15993591)
Put some wide BMX wheel bars and make a crop circle.

My kids loved this idea.

Originally Posted by xtrajack (Post 15994080)
Some things I just don't do.
Riding in tall grass is one of them.
Last time I rode in tall grass, I was trying to straighten a fast down hill right angle turn, by cutting across the lawn of the house on the corner.
I hit the ditch (which I didn't see, and didn't know, that should have been there.) I flew through the air, landing with my head a handspan's width from a large rock.

I mentally mapped all rocks and holes (there are two). I don't think new ones would show up any time soon.

Originally Posted by Bug Shield (Post 15994142)
I ride through a similar patch of cockleburs. On my single speed no big deal. The same would be true for an IGH. My commuter has derailleurs though and the rear is lately picking up enough crap that I have stopped riding that route though I prefer it.

We had been riding it enough to keep them knocked down but have had good rain this year so have fallen behind. I'm going to go ride it a dozen times on my motorcycle and guess that will do the trick. If that doesn't work I'll probably have to hit it with the weed whacker or a scythe.

I'm too big of a wuss for a fixie (hills), but IGH is a great idea. I wish there were cheaper.

Originally Posted by Badger6 (Post 15994272)
This. Why do you have to include this in your route, especially since it is only 300ft (100m...the same distance Usain Bolt covers when getting the gold)?

It saves me more than 2 miles of much less pleasant alternative. Even If i needed to walk the bike I would still use this shortcut.

I'm staying much drier and less muddy if I can stay on the bike, even with the tall grass. To help me with this I changed my tires to wider (1.75" atm)
I carry a clean T-shirt & shorts with me, but don't carry shoes.
I needed to walk the bike twice through the mud & wet grass this year and it required major cleaning the shoes at work.

I was also thinking you could pull a kids bike trailer and afix roman gladiator esk scyes to the wheels.
:lol: My kids likes this idea even better - I needed to show them a youtube video of these scythes first.

I'm thinking wet grass, maybe mud, stickers, and possibly the fang marks of a striking serpent.... which I would have to change at least my shorts if that ever happened to me.
So far I only scared few bunny families. Deer can hear me from a long distance and I don't want to think too much about snakes in the grass.

Artkansas 08-26-13 03:18 AM

Originally Posted by sailor2 (Post 15998437)
I try to "dethatch" :lol: these twice a week, but I was hoping for a better is solution.

The excessive rains we have this year, make it grow fast (more than a foot over a weekend). Would need to come ride here every weekend :)

Well, you could always just bungee a weed cutter like this onto your bike and when it gets too long, you spend a few minutes on your way home improving your trail.

http://img.rakuten.com/PIC/50924166/...0/50924166.jpg

Or get clever and make an attachment that lowers two of them, one on each side and trim the weeds as you ride.

Or buy a beater bike like this.

http://assets.inhabitat.com/files/mowercycle23.jpg

fietsbob 08-26-13 09:08 AM

I like that , lay out the crop circle first, a nice design, so they think the Aliens left a message..

kookaburra1701 08-26-13 11:08 AM

Gaiters for your pants. You can get them at any outdoor store that caters to hunters or get fancy leather ones at any saddlery shop.