Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Earth Slice (Derek Chadwick) (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1190625)

salsafargogreen 12-24-19 01:28 PM

Earth Slice (Derek Chadwick)

Hello. My name is Steve from Toronto. As some of you may have done I've watched, over the course of several days the you tube Earth Slice channel which follows the travels of Derek Chadwick. In 2015 he started out from Newfoundland and over the next almost two years and 140 video episodes he suddenly stops. He does not return any messages at episode 140 nor are there any videos of any kind after Feb 2017. I just hope he's ok as he was, and I hope still is a brave tour cyclist who has no doubt inspired many. All the videos say is that he is from Vancouver. Let me know if any other cycle tourist has crossed his path, or his condition if know, which I pray is good. Thanks to all.

salsafargogreen 12-24-19 01:58 PM

Missing Bicycle Tourer?

Hello, My name is Steve from Toronto. Has any tourist out there crossed paths with EARTH SLICE aka Derek Chadwick? He produced 140 video episodes on you tube channel Earth Slice. He rides from Newfoundland in 2015 to Utah in Feb 2017. At episode 140 his tour ends without warning, with no returned comments or and videos of any kind after Feb 2017. He may Have quit do to personal reasons, but I hope nothing tragic took place on his voyage though and that he is ok; no response on his channel in two years. He says he is from Vancouver so someone from there may know of him or know him personally. Concerned as a fellow touring cyclist as he has no doubt inspired many.

shelbyfv 12-24-19 03:57 PM

Someone is looking for him in General as well.

cb400bill 12-24-19 07:13 PM

Merged duplicate threads.

a_d_a_m 04-12-21 07:55 PM

Hate to be the guy to bump an old thread, but I just watched all 140 of his touring and touring-related videos, and I kinda feel like this is a mystery worth solving. It's like he totally vanished. Of course, searching his name (and even combining it with words like 'Vancouver') bring up multiple results of some male model with the same name, so that doesn't help.

Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4X...aNXrxUCqfSDLvA

C'mon folks, the world is a small place...let's find this dude.

ClydeClydeson 04-15-21 02:12 PM

There was a story I read a couple years back about a touring cyclist who was found injured on the road (somewhere in Asia, I believe) but no one could identify the guy. It was suspected he was Canadian because he was riding a Norco. I cannot find any info on this story now.

a_d_a_m 04-20-21 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by ClydeClydeson (Post 22016412)
There was a story I read a couple years back about a touring cyclist who was found injured on the road (somewhere in Asia, I believe) but no one could identify the guy. It was suspected he was Canadian because he was riding a Norco. I cannot find any info on this story now.

Earth Slice's adventures end in Cisco, UT, so I'm not sure that it would be the same one.

ClydeClydeson 04-20-21 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by a_d_a_m (Post 22022941)
Earth Slice's adventures end in Cisco, UT, so I'm not sure that it would be the same one.

Upon closer inspection, EarthSlice looks to have a Thorne bike, not a Norco.

cbrstar 04-20-21 01:55 PM

On his video #139 he wrote.

"Hey y'all! As you may have noticed the vids are being released less frequently than normal. I have overdone the biking and damaged mah knee! All will be OK but I do need to put the bike trip on hold for awhile. Will slowly release the handful of vids I have left so the channel doesn't die completely. I've enjoyed doing the YouTube stuff and don't plan on quitting even though the cycling is finished for awhile, so will be working on other projects in the near future that I think you will enjoy, also some smaller tours while I recover."

Maybe start by looking for the Dad instead?

a_d_a_m 04-30-21 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by cbrstar (Post 22023437)
On his video #139 he wrote.

"Hey y'all! As you may have noticed the vids are being released less frequently than normal. I have overdone the biking and damaged mah knee! All will be OK but I do need to put the bike trip on hold for awhile. Will slowly release the handful of vids I have left so the channel doesn't die completely. I've enjoyed doing the YouTube stuff and don't plan on quitting even though the cycling is finished for awhile, so will be working on other projects in the near future that I think you will enjoy, also some smaller tours while I recover."

I hadn't even seen that. That at least satisfies my curiosity of why the videos seemed to abruptly end.