Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Forum Suggestions & User Assistance (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=160)
-   -   Zombie Threads (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1169200)

datlas 03-27-19 11:39 AM

Zombie Threads

Just a suggestion.

Often a very old thread is bumped and it seems it’s almost always shenanigans.

Any way to set the forum so that a thread over a certain age (1 or 2 years maybe?) cannot be bumped except by the OP and/or a poster who already posted in said thread? Obviously there are times when it’s appropriate to update an old thread so the rule I suggested allows for that.

GrainBrain 03-27-19 12:00 PM

What about a warning icon or something? I've seen a few threads (I'm thinking C&V) where the thread will be bumped every few years by someone with a bike that's similar to the OPs or something cool. Yeah it does get stupid like in appraisals.

Honestly I find it hilarious though, I always check the original post date now! The best are people continuing crazy arguments.

Rollfast 03-27-19 12:17 PM

Depends on how zombie is defined. Some resurrections are a good thing, find a pertinent thread and ask further question if needed. No need to start a million threads if a few will do. Keeps it simple in that search y'all sometimes complain about.

My feelings are that you are just embarrassed that you didn't look or that you haven't taken something into context.

A few threads should have been left in the desert for the buzzards but this question has come up more than a few times in the 12 years I've been here, and just as quickly died.

And yes, the best warning system you have are these two items separated by your nose. Use them well, like you do on the road.

CliffordK 03-27-19 12:23 PM

I find that it is often good to keep concepts and ideas together.

Often a bump should have been an independent post. And, it becomes obvious that one is replying to the 2019 mini-thread, and not the 2009 thread. But, perhaps in another decade, it would all make sense to someone who snags the thread on Google looking for reference information.

A confirmation pop-up might be a good idea. "Do you really really want to do this?"

Good Bumps:
  • Continuity of Concepts. Commenting on some rare feature, or continuing a thread like "Post your bike near water".
  • Notes related to some rare item.
  • Perhaps wanting to bring previous posters back into the thread
Bad Bumps:
  • Giving advice about a long closed topic (unless it falls under the continuity of concepts above).

Actually, that could be a point. Say I decide that I have something new to contribute, and all previous advice was incorrect. Then there might be a reason to post a "correction" for future readers without necessarily talking to the OP.
  • Asking specific questions about one's personal bike because it may be similar to a bike someone else commented on. Again, good and bad reasons to do this. But, it should be clear to all that one is bringing up new talking points.
Overall, I don't see these bumps as that big of a problem. One could limit bumps for people over 10 posts. :foo:

But, I use the WWW for reference materials, and frequently see threads pop up on Bike Forums. And, I'm always happy to get as complete of information as possible about these. Or, sometimes I might think of the benefits of expanding a topic with new information. :)

Rollfast 03-27-19 12:34 PM

We have moderators here to determine if a reply should be split off to it's own thread, or if threads should be combined, or even closed. If you have a problem with this or any other situation, contact one and ask them. That's why they are here. No special rules are needed for that, just keep our happy staff busy.

Sine Die.

CliffordK 03-27-19 12:38 PM

Not only warning a person when they first try replying to a zombie thread, but also warn a person when they open it?

Perhaps a pop-over:

https://ih1.redbubble.net/image.3427...0,075,f.u1.jpg
BUMPY ZOMBIE WARNING
You haven't reviewed this thread for > 1 year.
Please review new posts before replying

Deal4Fuji 03-27-19 12:43 PM

Especially in the Mechanics section, where the thread containing the exact information you need might be very old. Making comments to those type of old threads - maybe asking for more information or clarification is fine I would think. I'm not a fan of deleting any history.

I just asked Ibobbi again this morning where the site stood on bringing back the original post date beside the OP's name under the thread title. That would flag old threads without having to open it up. That was here before the last (upgrade ?)

jimincalif 03-27-19 02:02 PM

Before the forum software "upgrade" last year, the message lists displayed both the thread starter's name and the date of the first post. The date disappeared and has never come back despite the issue being reported. The date made it easier to skip over threads that are ancient even if someone has recently posted activity there.

Lemond1985 03-27-19 02:53 PM

Some of the bumps on these old threads seem very random, and the content of the posts bumping the old threads are generally sparse, maybe a sentence or two. And the bumper always seems oblivious to the fact that it's an old thread. Weird.

tyrion 03-27-19 02:59 PM

Too much change for too minor a problem.

CliffordK 03-27-19 03:04 PM

If a "new" thread pops up with 3 or 4, or more pages of comments, I tend to check the dates.

Rollfast 03-28-19 04:58 PM

I'm on a site where threads are churned regularly, often by the owner and sometimes when things get stupid or bogged down or angry.

Then again, we have an entire thread there called Venezuelan Beaver Cheese.

datlas 06-18-22 07:52 PM

Bump. I am still wondering if the authorities are willing to reconsider options to minimize zombie threads.

livedarklions 06-20-22 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22546435)
Bump. I am still wondering if the authorities are willing to reconsider options to minimize zombie threads.

Do you have any particular reason to think so, or are you just randomly bumping the zombie thread to illustrate a point?

datlas 06-20-22 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by livedarklions (Post 22547778)
Do you have any particular reason to think so, or are you just randomly bumping the zombie thread to illustrate a point?

Both. I have noticed a few more zombie threads lately, and rather than starting a new thread I figured it would be wise to bump this one.

I suspect it's a low priority and/or too hard to implement, but inquiring minds are going to inquire.

livedarklions 06-20-22 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22547812)
Both. I have noticed a few more zombie threads lately, and rather than starting a new thread I figured it would be wise to bump this one.

I suspect it's a low priority and/or too hard to implement, but inquiring minds are going to inquire.

OK. The irony was intentional, then.

Moe Zhoost 06-20-22 08:40 AM

Zombie threads are not all that common, though I do admit to being fooled by them occasionally. Personally, I don't have a problem letting them run free. Sometimes a poster will resurrect one to add value to it or request an expansion of info. This is reasonable.

FBOATSB 06-20-22 08:46 AM

Every single click on any thread whatsoever generates revenue for IB, so not likely to change.

livedarklions 06-20-22 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by Moe Zhoost (Post 22547880)
Zombie threads are not all that common, though I do admit to being fooled by them occasionally. Personally, I don't have a problem letting them run free. Sometimes a poster will resurrect one to add value to it or request an expansion of info. This is reasonable.

The ones that aren't reasonable can often be unintentionally quite funny. I love it when someone gets all heated up to convince someone to make or not to make a purchase 8 years ago.

datlas 06-20-22 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by FBOATSB (Post 22547890)
Every single click on any thread whatsoever generates revenue for IB, so not likely to change.

You think they care more about ad revenue than paid subscribers like us??

Sad!

FBOATSB 06-20-22 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22548084)
You think they care more about ad revenue than paid subscribers like us??

Sad!

:hug:

datlas 06-20-22 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by FBOATSB (Post 22548092)
:hug:

Thanks. I feel much better now.

Barry2 06-20-22 03:27 PM

Zombies

Are Zombie threads really such an issue.

More like an opportunity to politely educate.

Barry

IBJoel 06-22-22 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22547812)

This is in fact the thought process when many threads are resurrected in the first place

datlas 09-22-22 06:09 AM

Bump

:innocent: