Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Commuting (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   VIDEO - Joey Brooks vs Roadie (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=545742)

JoeyBike 05-27-09 07:17 AM

VIDEO - Joey Brooks vs Roadie

Keep in mind that I am riding a 40lb Long Haul Trucker with heavy 26x2.0 tires with 25psi in the front tire to absorb shock for the handlebar cam. I was a tad outgunned.

Sorry 'bout the camera tilt. Operator error.

VIDEO (3:45)

degnaw 05-27-09 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by JoeyBike (Post 8990834)
Keep in mind that I am riding a 40lb Long Haul Trucker with heavy 26x2.0 tires with 25psi

excuses, excuses, excuses :p

SPlKE 05-27-09 07:29 AM

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...ughing13oc.gif

SPlKE 05-27-09 07:30 AM

At 1:58, the poseur was in pain.

spock 05-27-09 07:43 AM

The other day I dropped me a full kit roadie but 5 miles later he spanked me.

Excuses:
-I'm a smoker
-Had a heavy backpack
-Couldn't keep up the pace
-25 year old fuji vs. a year old CF bike
-all star converse shoes vs. clipless hard sole shoes

As he was passing he sead, "keep it going"

I sead I'll try, as my lungs were coming out of my mouth.

Come the next light, he got dropped again......

What can I say, I'm an outlaw.

Joey that's a pretty good pace for the type of bike you have.

TheRealNicola 05-27-09 02:05 PM

Good video. You totally were wearing him out. I bet in the next mile you could have beat him down! : )

DataJunkie 05-27-09 02:18 PM

No sprinting?

JoeyBike 05-27-09 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by TheRealNicola (Post 8993346)
Good video. You totally were wearing him out. I bet in the next mile you could have beat him down! : )

Don't bet money on it. That dude looked fit - like he actually trains on a bike. He passed me with his iPod buds in and I think I dropped right out of his consciousness. It would have been fun to pass him again, but just a few hundred feet in front of us was this hateful trolley crossing:

http://www.bikeforums.net/attachment...1&d=1243458178

That's why I turn off. My Trucker could hit that at speed just about anywhere. And as many good laughs as I get from the Spandex crowd, I would not want to be a part of that dude getting track rash. I did pass up my two normal turns. The turn I made was the last chance before the tracks. He may have been slowing for them. I really didn't see any visible signs of "Legs Like God" getting tired.

Originally Posted by DataJunkie (Post 8993440)
No sprinting?

I was just happy to catch him. Did I really need him to "stroll" by me at 25mph again? Not really.

BTW...this vid is actual speed. That's what 25 looks like without the editing enhancements.

urban_assault 05-27-09 03:25 PM

Funny.

Also, you don't look like what I expected you to look like. I pictured you wearing more High Visibility
safety colors. No offense.

;):lol:

CB HI 05-27-09 03:48 PM

The roadie was on a recovery "utility" ride to the LBS to pick up a wheel and JoeyBike wanted to make it a race!:lol:

I know I race at top speed while balancing a wheel on on my back.:p

Now what were those excuses, JoeyBike?:innocent:

caloso 05-27-09 03:54 PM

* golf clap *

JoeyBike 05-27-09 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by CB HI (Post 8993998)
The roadie was on a recovery "utility" ride to the LBS to pick up a wheel and JoeyBike wanted to make it a race!

The riders in the still photo are friends of mine on the way home from the LBS last summer. Just illustrating the tracks with a still from my collection. The whole video with the wheel on the back is HERE. About halfway through they come really close to taking the same line around some manhole covers and going down right in front of me.

SPlKE 05-27-09 06:22 PM

Hey JoeyBike, have you ever attached your 'engine' to a lightweight road bike?

That would make for some =f-a-s-t> videos.

buzzman 05-27-09 06:38 PM

:lol:

I can't believe I ride a bike as much as I do and then I come on here and watch somebody else's bike ride.:rolleyes:

Loved it. :thumb:

DataJunkie 05-27-09 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by JoeyBike (Post 8993779)

I was just happy to catch him. Did I really need him to "stroll" by me at 25mph again? Not really.

BTW...this vid is actual speed. That's what 25 looks like without the editing enhancements.

Riding a LHT I would have had to redline my heart rate to catch him. At least say you were breathing heavy. :p

I really should get a camera and film a few of my downhills. 50mph on a bike is amusing.
My flats would be boring as heck. I am a bit slow with low gearing and what not.

Hot Potato 05-27-09 07:00 PM

Every now and then I will put on the lycra bibs and colorful road jersey, hop on my carbon fiber road bike, then proceed to shuffle my fat ex-smoker butt around town so that commuters can feel good about pacing or beating a "roadie." Not sure I understand the phenomenon, but I find it amusing.

Fast Cloud 05-27-09 07:12 PM

I love Crystal Method...and your vids. That guy looked fit for sure, but he was no match for your uber traffic skills. :p I think you should have stayed with him. I'd have loved watching him get a pinch flat going across those tracks trying to shake you. :lol:

buzzman 05-27-09 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by DataJunkie (Post 8994997)
...I really should get a camera and film a few of my downhills. 50mph on a bike is amusing...

I've gotten up to 48 mph on this hill, which is about 100 yards from my front door (where I live in the summer). This is a video of it where I hit 41 mph. Every ride begins (and ends) with this hill- and there's one before it that's much worse but too steep and windy to descend at anywhere near this speed.

DataJunkie 05-27-09 07:35 PM

Sweet. I would love to have a hill like that close to me.

JoeyBike 05-27-09 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by SPlKE (Post 8994863)
Hey JoeyBike, have you ever attached your 'engine' to a lightweight road bike?

HERE is a helmet cam video filmed by a friend. I am on a road bike in the white shirt. When we make the turn onto Canal Street about halfway through you will see some pretty fast riding. This vid is not sped up in editing.

It's the only video where I am an "actor" and not behind the camera. Eventually, I continue my commute and the others turn around to play in traffic some more.

JoeyBike 05-27-09 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by buzzman (Post 8995292)
Every ride begins (and ends) with this hill- and there's one before it that's much worse but too steep and windy to descend at anywhere near this speed.

Love the sound of the wind ever increasing past the microphone until it is just screaming! Thought you might be going in the trees there at the end :eek:

I have been looking all over the Web for helmet cam vids of Trail Ridge Road in Rocky Mountain National Park. You start at just above 12,000 feet and descend non-stop down to 8000 feet in about 20 minutes. Takes me 3.5 hours to bike to the top (about 20 miles). Hair-pin turns, motor homes, cars, vans, motorcycles all bow to the road bike in descent! 45-55mph except the tight turns. Awesome. Just astounding that I can't find some good vids of cyclists on this road. Just gotta go do it myself I guess.

Here is a shot from near the top:

http://www.bikeforums.net/attachment...1&d=1243477219

DataJunkie 05-27-09 08:29 PM

I ride our club's trail ridge ride in a couple months. Should be fun.
Descending Mt Evans from 14,000 feet would be amusing if the road was not filled with pot holes.

GodsBassist 05-27-09 08:42 PM

The tilted camera makes it look like NO is sliding slowly into the ocean...

JoeyBike 05-27-09 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by datajunkie (Post 8995664)
i ride our club's trail ridge ride in a couple months. Should be fun.

Get someone to film it!!!!

Quel 05-27-09 08:55 PM

Since its a JoeyBike thread and no one else mentioned it yet, I feel I must.

You only caught up to him because he slowed down much more than you on the red light. And at that light you came close enough to the car coming in from the right that a lot of people would have slammed on their brakes if they noticed you there. Not worth it. A lot of your red light running doesn't seem like much of an issue, but that one was a bit close.