Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   I want to get into biking, what kind of bike should I buy? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1027894)

chris87 09-01-15 04:05 PM

I want to get into biking, what kind of bike should I buy?

Hello, I'm new here. I want to start biking to be more active and lose weight, and to get a new hobby. I've done some research about what bike to buy, but I figured it would be good to talk to people who know about the subject. I plan on going to a bike shop and asking a lot of questions, but I want some more knowledge before I go.

I think I will be on paved roads around the neighborhood 90% of the time. But I do want the capability to go off-road once in a while. I also want to be able to go up and own curbs, and other obstacles without worrying about the bike breaking. Right now I'm thinking a hybrid might be good for me.

I haven't biked in 10 years, but I did all the time when I was growing up. I mostly rode BMX bikes, and mountain bikes once in a while. I feel that the skills will come back quickly. I'm not an expert, but I'm not a total novice either. I could go off jumps 18" high, bunny hop, ride without hands, etc. I don't plan on doing this stuff now, so I'm not interested in a BMX bike. But if I really get back into it I want to get a bike that will be good enough that I don't "outgrow" it in a few months.

Also, I've read some people say that hybrids aren't good and if you want to go 90% on road 10% off road, you should get a mountain bike with street tires. But then I've read other people say that if you're only doing light off road with lots of street riding, a hybrid is better as the gears and suspension are better for street riding.

So at this point I'm not really sure what to get. Should I get a mountain bike or a hybrid (or another bike other than that)? Also, what price range should I be realistically looking at? I don't want to be competitive, or a pro or anything, I just want something that will be durable and reliable with minimal maintenance.

drzdave58 09-01-15 05:20 PM

I just bought a van moof s3....it's an awesome bike...check them out online.

bmthom.gis 09-01-15 05:38 PM

I would say a hybrid with a rigid fork. The ones with suspension forks on them are not meant for going off road, but a rigid fork will do just fine. You can change out the tires with some cyclocross ones for when you want to hit some dirt, just don't expect to hit the really hard and technical trails!
As for cost, find out what brands your local shops carry and check out their websites. A $350 hybrid will have the same frame as a $700 hybrid, but the components will be vastly different. My advice is always buy as much bike as you can, since the bike companies get the components for much less than they would cost after market. Buying a bike only to plan on upgrading later is the more expensive route, especially on a bike where you likely won't be breaking parts with the type of riding you plan on doing.

ShortLegCyclist 09-01-15 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by chris87 (Post 18129773)
Hello, I'm new here. I want to start biking to be more active and lose weight, and to get a new hobby. I've done some research about what bike to buy, but I figured it would be good to talk to people who know about the subject. I plan on going to a bike shop and asking a lot of questions, but I want some more knowledge before I go.

I think I will be on paved roads around the neighborhood 90% of the time. But I do want the capability to go off-road once in a while. I also want to be able to go up and own curbs, and other obstacles without worrying about the bike breaking. Right now I'm thinking a hybrid might be good for me.

I haven't biked in 10 years, but I did all the time when I was growing up. I mostly rode BMX bikes, and mountain bikes once in a while. I feel that the skills will come back quickly. I'm not an expert, but I'm not a total novice either. I could go off jumps 18" high, bunny hop, ride without hands, etc. I don't plan on doing this stuff now, so I'm not interested in a BMX bike. But if I really get back into it I want to get a bike that will be good enough that I don't "outgrow" it in a few months.

Also, I've read some people say that hybrids aren't good and if you want to go 90% on road 10% off road, you should get a mountain bike with street tires. But then I've read other people say that if you're only doing light off road with lots of street riding, a hybrid is better as the gears and suspension are better for street riding.

So at this point I'm not really sure what to get. Should I get a mountain bike or a hybrid (or another bike other than that)? Also, what price range should I be realistically looking at? I don't want to be competitive, or a pro or anything, I just want something that will be durable and reliable with minimal maintenance.

A whole new category of bike that addresses your needs would be the adventure/gravel grinder road bike, a road bike designed to go off road but which can still scoot on pavement.

Unfortunately, the budget is everything, and you need to decide what your price range is going to be.

If you are willing to go that high, the upcoming Cannondale Slate would do everything you are asking, but the price tag is going to be 3-4 K.

Specialized AWOL will also fit that bill and I'm pretty sure that doesn't run as pricey.

GovernorSilver 09-01-15 07:18 PM

If I'd taken more time and effort to do my homework, I'd be riding an adventure road bike now - probably a Felt V85. Tried one yesterday and it, umm, felt like an instant fit for me, even though it was theoretically a size too small (I'm supposed to ride a 54 cm - this one was 51 cm). Not too many road bikes come with Shimano 105 components, disc brakes, etc. at that price.

But, I was in a hurry to get a bike and get started with riding, so I got a "city/urban" bike (it's really a hybrid that comes stock with a rack and fenders) which happened to be on sale. Also, I had just learned to ride a bike at the time and was intimidated by the drop bars and thought all road bikes force you to ride in that uncomfortable looking bent-over posture.

whosmatt 09-01-15 08:09 PM

Like you, I grew up riding bmx bikes and then mountain bikes. About 8 years ago, when I bought my first bike in years, I bought a used Bianchi Bergamo hybrid bike. It was a nice bike, great for the city and hopping curbs and the like, but I quickly, once I started riding more, wished for a more aerodynamic riding position. I eventually changed the handlebars and lowered the stem, but it still wasn't enough. I bought a single speed bike with drop bars for ~$300 and got used to the road bike geometry and drops on that, and then recently bought a cyclocross bike, which is actually a lot more relaxed of a riding position for me but still has drop bars and makes a serviceable bike both on and off road. I haven't got many miles on it yet, but it seems like a great compromise if you wish to ride on less technical trails once in a while. And I'm not afraid to hop curbs on it :D

Your local bike shop, if you have one, will be a great resource, as you can try them all out. Whatever you pick, have fun.

Matt

chris87 09-01-15 08:53 PM

I've been thinking about it, and right now I'm thinking about spending about $500. I'd be willing to spend a little more if I check out several bikes and the one I really like is more expensive.

Reading the replies gives me a lot to think about. I hadn't even considered if I should get a fork with or without suspension. Since I will be mostly on paved surfaces, or light off roaring, I guess it makes sense to go with a solid fork.

I did see that some bikes have suspension forks that can be locked or unlocked depending on what kind of riding you're doing. How much would that cost, is it within my price range?

Rcrxjlb 09-01-15 09:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Get a flat bar road bike:Save up to 60% off new Road Bikes - Gravity Avenue FX | Save up to 60% off new road bikeshttp://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=474676

ShortLegCyclist 09-01-15 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by chris87 (Post 18130488)
I've been thinking about it, and right now I'm thinking about spending about $500. I'd be willing to spend a little more if I check out several bikes and the one I really like is more expensive.

Reading the replies gives me a lot to think about. I hadn't even considered if I should get a fork with or without suspension. Since I will be mostly on paved surfaces, or light off roaring, I guess it makes sense to go with a solid fork.

I did see that some bikes have suspension forks that can be locked or unlocked depending on what kind of riding you're doing. How much would that cost, is it within my price range?

Going to be tough to find a quality new bike at that price point, but it's not impossible.

I wouldn't go with a BikesDirect option unless you are comfortable assembling a bike to the extent of installing the handlebars, adjusting the stem, installing brakes, pedals, seatpost and pedals. If all that sounds easy, by all means go BikesDirect, but if all that sounds intimidating, stick with a locally sourced bike.

That is unless you live in Jacksonville, of course, where BikesDirect has a retail outlet store.

If there is a Performance Bike near you, the Fuji Absolute should be available for under $500, but the most important thing you can do is go test ride it, and ideally for more than a circle in the parking lot.

gecho 09-01-15 10:17 PM

I like to recommend older named brand rigid mountain bikes for people getting started. No point spending a lot of money until you figure out the kind of riding you want to do. Plenty of new riders show up to our casual rides with a new bike and then a new bike the following year when they realize they bought a bike that doesn't fit their needs.

I'd think hard before getting a hybrid. A rigid mountain bike with slicks can fill a similar role, but gives you option of larger knobby tires (but the draw back of wider gear spacing). I would only recommend a hybrid if you wanted something with closely spaced gears and were dead set against drop bars.

hig4s 09-02-15 06:20 AM

Giant roam Roam 2 (2016) | Giant Bicycles | United States
and Specialized Crosstrail Specialized Bicycle Components
are both good all round bikes. My big thing is if you are going with a brand name bike get disc brakes. Preferably hydraulic.

max5480 09-02-15 11:28 AM

i think a hybrid bike you will definitely outgrow.
get a cyclocross bike. something sporty - or a surly cross-check if you want long term functionality.

fietsbob 09-02-15 02:39 PM

Folding Bike.. you can put it in the car boot, and drive to a nice place to ride, and it wont take up much room in the house .

& you dont have to lock it up outside at night for thief bait.

Shuffleman 09-03-15 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by bmthom.gis (Post 18129996)
I would say a hybrid with a rigid fork. The ones with suspension forks on them are not meant for going off road, but a rigid fork will do just fine. You can change out the tires with some cyclocross ones for when you want to hit some dirt, just don't expect to hit the really hard and technical trails!

This advise is pretty solid. Performance bike would be a great place to start. Your LBS may have one as well. I too will caution you on a hybrid with suspension. They are really heavy and the shocks are garbage. They will not hold up on the trail.
A really good option is to go to Craigslist and buy a 26er mtb from the 1990's. Most of the time, they have rigid front forks. You can pick up older GT's, Mongoose, Diamondback, Nishikis and etc for less than $100. Take off the tires and go to your lbs/Performance and buy road tires for it. Switch out the tires and you have a nice hybrid. I just did this with my old GT Karakoram. It is much better than buying a new hybrid for $600. I still have my smooth Deore LX and a nice ride. For $600 you will probably get half the groupset.If
you ride for a few months, you man find that you want a road bike. No big deal as you have less than $200 invested. Plus, the hybrid is great to tool around on. Check your local craigs list as I am sure it is loaded with these old mtbs that are still great bikes.

09box 09-03-15 01:00 PM

Cyclocross bike is probably going to be your best bang for your buck.

mcmoose 09-03-15 01:15 PM

I'm going to put in another vote for a fixed-fork hybrid. At your price point, you can get a solid fitness hybrid that will see you well on paved surface and trails (though to echo bmthom, don't expect to hit technical trails). While a cyclocross or gravel grinder might serve you better in the long run, you'd be hard pressed to find a good one at your price point.

I think fitness hybrids are great "gateway" bikes... they get you out riding at an affordable price. They remind you how much fun riding is. They're good at a lot of things (but not the best for anything). So once you decide what you really want in a bike, you can sink more $$ in your N+1 and keep the hybrid as your faithful quarter horse.

Have fun!

DBrown9383 09-03-15 06:29 PM

The anti hybrid sentiment here is quite apparent. I happen to have a hybrid comfort bike with suspension seat post and forks. For my riding (70% pavement, 30% MUP or crushed limestone I feel it is ideal. The suspension forks really take the harshness out of the road or trail and the suspension seat post absorbs sharp jolts nicely. In the future I plan on riding more roads so I'll probably get a flat bar road bike that is lighter. Take a look at the Trek verve series. If you aren't racing and want a soft enjoyable ride, a comfort hybrid can't be beat and I happen to be an expert :)

chris87 09-05-15 02:12 PM

I went to a bike shop today, I didn't buy anything yet. I rode a Trek 7.3 FX which I liked a lot. They didn't have any of the 7.2 in stock that was the right size, but they said they are getting more on Wednesday.

They told me that for what I want to do, a fitness hybrid is perfect. They also had the dual sport model with the front suspension, but they said that's for if you are doing 75% off road.

So for now I think I'm going to go back on Wednesday and test ride the 7.2. Do you guys think there is a huge difference between the 7.2 and 7.3, would it be worth it to spend the extra $170 to get it?

Also they had some comfort hybrids, but I didn't ride it cause they didn't have it in my size. What's the difference between a comfort bike and a fitness bike?

hig4s 09-05-15 02:41 PM

Just because the shop says it is for 75% off road does not mean that is how they all get used. I have had nothing expect mountain bikes for over 20 years and ride more on road than off, but I like mountain bikes. My wife rides a comfort bike with 29in tires and all purpose tires and occasionally rides single track with it. Look at all types of bike and get the kind YOU like the best. Certainly if you are going to do long distance road riding a road bike is the best, if you are doing heavy downhill a serious long travel bike is needed. Anything in between, most bikes will work and can be set up for what ever you want to do with them.

mcmoose 09-05-15 02:42 PM

As DBrown mentioned, comfort hybrids typically have a suspension seat post and/or suspension front post. They also have a slightly more relaxed geometry, a wider (and perhaps more padded) saddle, and (usually) slightly wider tires. As the saying goes, they're built for comfort, not for speed. The impact isn't extraordinary, but each of those factors add a bit of weight and/or reduce the efficiency of power transfer from the rider to the bike.

Similarly, a fitness hybrid will typically not be as efficient as a road bike. But it's wider tires. lower gearing, and more upright geometry makes it better suited to unpaved roads and light trails.

We live in a wonderful age where bikes have been optimized for just about any riding environment you can name (well, not over hot lava). The fitness hybrid is a compromise design, but a very nice one. I know lots of people that have gone on to buy another bike (road, cyclocross, gravel grinder, touring) after starting with a fitness hybrid; but I don't know many who didn't keep their hybrid.

Have fun!

mcmoose 09-05-15 02:47 PM

Just saw hig4s' comment.

Yes, if you can test ride other kinds of bikes that will help you decide whether the Trek FX is right for you. And you also might want to try different brands of fitness hybrids (if good dealers are available... it's important to find a good Local Bike Shop as well as the right bike).

As for the 7.2 versus 7.3... I opted for the 7.3 because I preferred the alum fork, wider handlebars, and better components. The differences aren't huge, so ride both and decide which is a better cost/benefit for you. My husband opted for the 7.2... guess I was willing to spend more of our money than he was. ;-)

FRANK CANNON 09-05-15 05:27 PM

You'll break a hybrid the way you want to ride.

:thumb:

gecho 09-05-15 05:49 PM

Biggest problem with getting a new bike when you aren't sure what you want is that bike resale value sucks and you'll lose a lot of money if you realize you got the wrong type of bike and decide to sell it.

Best bet is to take advantage of someone else's mistake and buy used. Then divert the money you saved into accessories (rack, clothing, lights, bags, locks, etc).

bgraham111 09-05-15 06:10 PM

I have a trek 8.4, my wife has a trek 7.2. I'd recommend the 7 series over the 8 series for you. The 7's are perfectly fine on the rails to trails and light off road. Actually a very nice hybrid. My 8.4 is also nice, and I use it for fully loaded off road touring, but I often think I'd have been better for with a FX 7.something. Live and learn. Also.... to be fair, I have an actual mountain bike with real front suspension for real off road riding, and a road bike for on road riding. And soon hope to get a "randonnuering" bike soon.... and building a fixing.... and....and... and...

chris87 09-05-15 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by mcmoose (Post 18140913)
As for the 7.2 versus 7.3... I opted for the 7.3 because I preferred the alum fork, wider handlebars, and better components. The differences aren't huge, so ride both and decide which is a better cost/benefit for you. My husband opted for the 7.2... guess I was willing to spend more of our money than he was. ;-)

Maybe you don't know cause you probably rarely if ever ride your husband's bike, but do you think there is a difference in the comfort level? Also, is your husband happy with the 7.2?