Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Zwift users: Should I wave? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1045748)

Dan333SP 01-20-16 10:02 AM

Zwift users: Should I wave?

So I'm having a bit of a dilemma.

I've recently started using Zwift each morning now that we're finally getting a real winter. Good fun so far, as I expressed in the other thread about it. It all seemed so straightforward... You ride in a virtual world, you sometimes end up in groups, and other times you drop people or get dropped. All well and good.

However, everything changed this morning. I was riding, and a guy on the opposite side of the road virtually waved at me.

I didn't even realize this was a function. I didn't wave back, partially because I didn't know the keyboard shortcut and partially because $^%$ that guy, he wasn't even wearing a virtual helmet and he had ankle socks. Still, I feel guilty because maybe I offended him by not waving back.

I've since figured out how to wave (it's an option in the companion app on my phone). However, we've worked out pretty strict criteria for when to wave/not wave at other riders in real life, but I don't know how to apply them in this game.

Should I wave at everyone I pass? Should I not wave at triathletes on TT bikes? Should I only wave if their w/Kg number is high enough? Should I absolutely not wave at people wearing virtual Strava kit?

Please discuss.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CU5lei6WIAEItzv.jpg

WalksOn2Wheels 01-20-16 10:12 AM

Oh sweet Lord, I'm am trying so hard to not laugh so loud as to attract the attention of all my coworkers. Thank you for this.

Please Discuss.

eric1971 01-20-16 10:25 AM

That was me and I am definitely offended. What kind of a jerk does not wave back? Learn how to use the app before starting out! :cry:

kc0bbq 01-20-16 10:27 AM

Only people with virtual personality disorders would not virtually wave.

bikepro 01-20-16 10:29 AM

This is another example of the problems we face when the laws don't keep up with technology.

gsa103 01-20-16 11:00 AM

Most importantly....Does virtual waving slow you down?

goenrdoug 01-20-16 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by gsa103 (Post 18473099)
Most importantly....Does virtual waving slow you down?

Ideally, the game could be programmed such that waving speeds you up slightly.

I could imagine people riding around waving constantly... I guess they'd have to limit the number of times you can wave per minute to avoid the exploiters.

WalksOn2Wheels 01-20-16 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by goenrdoug (Post 18473150)
Ideally, the game could be programmed such that waving speeds you up slightly.

I could imagine people riding around waving constantly... I guess they'd have to limit the number of times you can wave per minute to avoid the exploiters.

Perfect. Then they can give you more waves per minute as you rack up more miles. Then we can all brag about W/min ratios rather than W/kg.

TimothyH 01-20-16 11:39 AM

Here in the south we always wave.

Seattle Forrest 01-20-16 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by Dan333SP (Post 18472940)
I didn't wave back, partially because I didn't know the keyboard shortcut and partially because $^%$ that guy, he wasn't even ...

:thumb::roflmao2:

indyfabz 01-20-16 12:11 PM

Can one also ring a virtual bell?

WalksOn2Wheels 01-20-16 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 18473306)

I've never used Zwift. Do you also have to yell, "On your left!" or can you ride straight through riders ghost style?

PepeM 01-20-16 12:16 PM

I believe you can.

EDIT: Ring a bell that is.

Homebrew01 01-20-16 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by WalksOn2Wheels (Post 18473322)
I've never used Zwift. Do you also have to yell, "On your left!" or can you ride straight through riders ghost style?

And when resting between intervals, be sure to yell "SLOWING"

indyfabz 01-20-16 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by WalksOn2Wheels (Post 18473322)

I don't even know what Zwift is.

eric1971 01-20-16 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 18473306)

There is definitely a bell.

A simple check box in the Settings for "auto wave" would put this debate to rest.

datlas 01-20-16 12:28 PM

What's the keyboard function to Team Cinzano someone??

thin_concrete 01-20-16 12:32 PM

I've been struggling to virtually fold my shorts on Zwift. The key sequence to get a perfect fold is really hard.

eric1971 01-20-16 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by thin_concrete (Post 18473380)
I've been struggling to virtually fold my shorts on Zwift. The key sequence to get a perfect fold is really hard.

No problem, use this for unlimited perfect folds:

http://images.mentalfloss.com/sites/...1-a_konami.png

youngbull 01-20-16 12:42 PM

I didn't even realize this was a function. I didn't wave back, partially because I didn't know the keyboard shortcut and partially because $^%$ that guy, he wasn't even wearing a virtual helmet and he had ankle socks. Still, I feel guilty because maybe I offended him by not waving back.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but the type of socks you wear aren't going to make or break your look. After you put on cycling shoes, a helmet, sport glasses, and lycra - there is absolutely nothing that can save you from looking like a nerdy middle aged fred to the common citizen.

Hmmm 01-20-16 12:45 PM

because $^%$ that guy, he had ankle socks.

I lost it at ankle socks. hahahahaha.

datlas 01-20-16 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by youngbull (Post 18473411)
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but the type of socks you wear aren't going to make or break your look. After you put on cycling shoes, a helmet, sport glasses, and lycra - there is absolutely nothing that can save you from looking like a nerdy middle aged fred to the common citizen.

Are you talking about on Zwift or IRL?

Dan333SP 01-20-16 12:55 PM

That's absolutely false. Sock length, color, and coordination have the ability to change your look from "Shield the kid's eyes, honey. That disgusting man is pedaling down the street again pretending to be athletic!" to "Hey, kids! Come look at the professional cyclist melting our street with watts!"

I can confirm what @PepeM says- There is a bell function and an elbow flick.

Things I'd like to see added to the in-game actions list: a button that causes you to suddenly brake hard and swerve for no reason, an option where you can yell, "Slam-dancing time!!" and then have your frame/wheels fail causing a wreck, a button that lets you yell a random Velominati rule violation at a slower rider, a "Hold your line!" yell, and maybe a feature where you can fill your pockets with gels and bars and consume them during your rides, gradually gaining weight until you're virtually obese.

Good discussion on when an appropriate e-wave would be shared. Thanks, guys.

WalksOn2Wheels 01-20-16 01:11 PM

It matters not what the average citizen thinks. What does matter is how we appear to those in the know.

Velominati ? The Rules

SpeshulEd 01-20-16 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by Dan333SP (Post 18473455)
"Hey, kids! Come look at the professional cyclist melting our street with watts!"

Signature worthy. Well done.