Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   it's been awhile... (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1217313)

Henry III 11-11-20 07:09 PM

it's been awhile...

I got a notification this evening on an old thread of mine and decided I would chime in. I honestly can't recall the last time I posted on the forum or let alone even lurked around.

I just did the Forest Gump when he just felt like walking and walked away from the forum and cycling in general. Mind you I still have an arsenal of bikes but something clicked or snapped and cycling not longer tickled my pickle.

I walked away from being a store manager at a shop after it left a seriously sour taste in my mouth and never looked back. I still take rides but nothing like I used to. So maybe logging back in will spark the flame again.

mechanicmatt 11-11-20 07:21 PM

Sometimes breaks are nice. It can help you remember what you really liked about bicycles and get rid of what you didn't. Welcome back for as long as you like.

I know I left the forum basically for 3-5 years and came back. I ride differently and more often again too. You'll find many like you, they may just have returned earlier.

thinktubes 11-11-20 07:25 PM

Welcome back - sounds like you needed a break.

gomango 11-11-20 07:30 PM

Henry- didn't you make nice saddle bags at one point?

If so, I'm still using it on an old Moots mtb.

Drillium Dude 11-11-20 07:30 PM

I still have the special tool roll you made me, Henry - glad to see you putting in an appearance again. Stick around or go on hiatus again, it's all good. I've done the same and will again :)

DD

Narhay 11-11-20 07:30 PM

I ebb and flow in my interest. Some days I cant get enough and sometimes I don't do anything bike related for long periods of time. It is all good.

francophile 11-11-20 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by Henry III (Post 21786191)
I got a notification this evening on an old thread of mine and decided I would chime in. I honestly can't recall the last time I posted on the forum or let alone even lurked around.

I just did the Forest Gump when he just felt like walking and walked away from the forum and cycling in general. Mind you I still have an arsenal of bikes but something clicked or snapped and cycling not longer tickled my pickle.

I walked away from being a store manager at a shop after it left a seriously sour taste in my mouth and never looked back. I still take rides but nothing like I used to. So maybe logging back in will spark the flame again.

Thanks for checking in, H3. I hope life is treating you well despite the craptastic bits. It's not just you. I've been personally overwhelmed during the last 24 months or so and sometimes it's really hard to get on here. just when I thought it couldn't get worse, the pandemic hit, and a load of work and family drama came along with it.

What I'll say is this: Despite all the gibberish life has handed me, I can't tell you how many BF'ers I've helped get through it, and how many here have also stepped up to help me through life: Finishing projects that've been stretching on forever, get me riding new bikes I never thought I'd ride, and just providing moral support. I've had some awesome mutually-beneficial part swaps recently, and come to see a few saints here on the forum who are as altruistic and authentic as it gets. It's just enough to keep a guy going with less of a frown on his face, I can't help but say "keep logging in" even if you're not riding. A lot of us aren't riding, but the camaraderie is still here, and it's therapeutic.

Even if you don't pop in, I hope we see you periodically, even if I'm not around anymore. Stay safe, stay healthy and .... keep riding. Your ass will hurt less for later ;)

clubman 11-11-20 08:40 PM

Good to hear from you again, yes we talked bags and a saddle. Maybe some frame courses?
I wouldn't mind some Gump downtime.

JohnDThompson 11-11-20 09:09 PM

Welcome back, Henry. I still have the tool roll you made for me!

3speedslow 11-11-20 09:55 PM

Nice to see another frequent member chime back in! We all have our ebb and flows in life. There is certainly a lot of change happening with all of us.

Regards, 3speedslow

Henry III 11-12-20 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by gomango (Post 21786227)
Henry- didn't you make nice saddle bags at one point?

If so, I'm still using it on an old Moots mtb.

That was I! I still have a few bags floating around along with a boat load of material. I literally just stopped and put it all away.

repechage 11-12-20 07:08 AM

I can see how a bike shop management job could burn one out.

Having seen folk much older than me continue to ride and along with it maintain good health, that could be a decent magnet in of itself.

rustystrings61 11-12-20 09:46 AM

Welcome back!

Stepping away from something for a while and then returning can be a very good thing. My other obsession is acoustic guitars, and I find that whenever I take a break from them, when I come back my playing always seems fresher, different, and after any rustiness wears off, simply better. The same seems to be happening with me on the bike - for many years my cycling has been somewhat attenuated, but this year I found some ways to steal some time from the day to work in early morning miles. I've ridden more miles so far this year, just since June, than I have since 2008. It's been really, really lovely, and I find I am enjoying my rides more than I think I can ever remember enjoying them before.

bikingshearer 11-12-20 11:09 AM

Glad to see you back. Hiatuses (hiati?) are good. Returning can be good, too. I hope it is for you.

OldsCOOL 11-12-20 09:49 PM

Hey! So good to see you checking in. Last I heard you moved to the Thumb area (I’m in Boyne City) and as you mentioned, working the bike shop. I hope you can rekindle your passion for cycling, bike shops can suck that out of your life (I work a shop out back on a hobby level but got pretty active this summer). Let us us know how you do and if you need something just holler. We’ll leave a light on for you. :D

balindamood 11-13-20 01:49 AM

I still use the tool role you sent me as well. I too have been gone a while, and have dipped my toe back on the water recently. For me it was finding a bike that re-kindled my interest...although I still have nearly a score hanging in the garage.

Good to hear all is well with you.

stardognine 11-13-20 02:51 PM

Henry, we never really chatted on the forums here yet, but I can just tell, you’re a really cool dude. 😁✌️😁 Hang in there, man, it could quit rainin’ any minute now. 🙄😁

plonz 11-13-20 03:08 PM

All burnout aside, you made a damn nice tool roll. Take satisfaction in knowing your handy work is still rolling with many of us to this day!

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...6469007960.jpg