Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Ask your wife, girlfriend, mother (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1177085)

big chainring 06-30-19 07:48 PM

Ask your wife, girlfriend, mother

Its gotten to a fresh new absurdity level....cycling fashion. Neon gone wild. Bug glasses. Skullcap bubble visor TT helmets. Then combine that with this facial hair fad. Its like a clown car collided with a huddle of walruses. Although I do get a chuckle from the colideiscope of blinky lites, neon and fur.

AlmostTrick 06-30-19 08:24 PM

I asked all three and they all said the same thing. Pics please.

KraneXL 06-30-19 08:31 PM

I know what blinky lites and neon is but I'm not sure what "fur" is?

Anyway, women don't care about such things. They find all cyclist A-typical. Unless they're also into cycling as well, in which case their taste is just as bizarre.

As for me, I try my best to avoid fashion trends whenever possible (I did purchase a couple neon/Velcro reflectors though). I don't want to look back in 5 or 10 years and say "what was I thinking?"

alcjphil 06-30-19 08:32 PM

So, I asked my girlfriend and her specific request was for for tighter clothing that left less room for her imagination. She specifically wanted me to wear red shorts as in that famous photo of the Polish cycling team

devianb 06-30-19 09:59 PM

Were you not around in the 80s or 90s? Whatever you think is crazy now was crazy 20-30 years ago.

GamblerGORD53 06-30-19 10:47 PM

Meanwhile.... The trash slob TORN jeans look goes on and on and on........

wipekitty 06-30-19 10:50 PM

I tell my SO not to look at me when I leave the house. Seriously.

Non-cyclist guys don't like seeing the neon trash on their ladies, either.

Darth Lefty 07-01-19 12:38 AM

Pssst... I’m glad neon is back

MikeyMK 07-01-19 01:58 AM

Why would i wear different clothes when i ride a bike?

noimagination 07-01-19 05:35 AM

My wife thinks I look cool.

(She's wrong. She's ... just a BIT biased.)

Machka 07-01-19 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by big chainring (Post 21004966)
Its gotten to a fresh new absurdity level....cycling fashion. Neon gone wild. Bug glasses. Skullcap bubble visor TT helmets. Then combine that with this facial hair fad. Its like a clown car collided with a huddle of walruses. Although I do get a chuckle from the colideiscope of blinky lites, neon and fur.

Are you referring to my long hair?

https://live.staticflickr.com/7820/4...27b29ef11f.jpg

JonathanGennick 07-01-19 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by big chainring (Post 21004966)
cycling fashion. Neon gone wild.

I was in a running shoe store yesterday, and the neon was all over there too.

Not that I mind. Just was something I noticed. Lots of blazingly bright colors.

Bandera 07-01-19 06:50 AM

Conspicuity of kit in our traffic heavy environment is part of many cyclist's and runners survival strategy, it's less fashion statement than an attempt to be highly visible to vehicle drivers.
If the OP notices it perhaps is does work.

-Bandera

BobbyG 07-01-19 07:07 AM

Made me think of the Beatles "Magical Mystery Tour".

Furry walruses and neon clown bus at 3 minutes, 25 seconds in...

https://vimeo.com/172674451

mstateglfr 07-01-19 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by MikeyMK (Post 21005263)
Why would i wear different clothes when i ride a bike?

For the same reason you wear different clothes when you exercise in other ways- run, swim, play basketball, play tennis, etc etc etc.
No, it isnt necessary to wear different clothes just to ride a bike, but for anything besides commuting/errand running, its often nice to wear athletic/cycle specific clothing for very obvious reasons. And even many commuters will wear different clothing due to the distance/weather they ride in.

Of course you know this and are being obtuse to create discussion and advertise you are different. Thats cool- it worked here by me pointing out the obvious for you. Congrats on asking for the obvious to be explained to you- hope it was satisfying.

eja_ bottecchia 07-01-19 07:11 AM

Why, in God’s little green Earth, would anyone care what I wear while cycling.

9 to 5, five days a week, I have to wear dark, conservative clothing to work (except for my socks where I can go wild). The weekends, and especially when I am out riding, it is my opportunity to let it rip, sartorially speaking.

Why would I want, or allow, some fuddy duddy dictate what I wear?

EveWancher 07-01-19 07:20 AM

I was offended. "Why are you asking me such stupid questions?" lol

Caliper 07-01-19 07:40 AM

I for one like colors coming back. This stupid all-black thing has gotta end.

Machka 07-01-19 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia (Post 21005461)
Why, in God’s little green Earth, would anyone care what I wear while cycling.

9 to 5, five days a week, I have to wear dark, conservative clothing to work (except for my socks where I can go wild). The weekends, and especially when I am out riding, it is my opportunity to let it rip, sartorially speaking.

Why would I want, or allow, some fuddy duddy dictate what I wear?

Me too!

At work, most people are pretty conservative in their colour choices. I'm probably one of the more wildly dressed one in terms of colour, and even I try to tone down a "shockingly" muted rose or light grey-blue top with black slacks and cardigan.

So when I cycle, I'll go with COLOUR! Because I can!

ksryder 07-01-19 08:16 AM

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...839bae062a.jpg

livedarklions 07-01-19 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by Caliper (Post 21005493)
I for one like colors coming back. This stupid all-black thing has gotta end.

All dark color kit is the only thing I'd object to because it's just so stupid from a safety perspective.

Otherwise, if I think y'all look like you're stuffed into sausage skins and wearing clown shoes, I'll keep that to myself.
I'm sure making no good fashion statement with black cargo shorts and yellow t shirts.

livedarklions 07-01-19 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by mstateglfr (Post 21005455)
For the same reason you wear different clothes when you exercise in other ways- run, swim, play basketball, play tennis, etc etc etc.
No, it isnt necessary to wear different clothes just to ride a bike, but for anything besides commuting/errand running, its often nice to wear athletic/cycle specific clothing for very obvious reasons. And even many commuters will wear different clothing due to the distance/weather they ride in.

Of course you know this and are being obtuse to create discussion and advertise you are different. Thats cool- it worked here by me pointing out the obvious for you. Congrats on asking for the obvious to be explained to you- hope it was satisfying.

Oh, great, now he'll whine about how he's not respected here because he rides an ebike. I don't know why it would be relevant, but he'll figure a way to make it so.

Dude's got a schtick.

UniChris 07-01-19 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by livedarklions (Post 21005560)
All dark color kit is the only thing I'd object to because it's just so stupid from a safety perspective.

Exactly. Went with white rather than my usual hi-vis (which seemed to be wearing out) for a rail trail ride Saturday figuring as we weren't going as far as the road gap it didn't really matter, but the guy I was riding with was in all black, and I did notice at times that if we got separated in wooded sections he was hard to pick out of the shadows.

Otherwise, if I think y'all look like you're stuffed into sausage skins and wearing clown shoes, I'll keep that to myself.
I'm sure making no good fashion statement with black cargo shorts and yellow t shirts.

In terms of fashion sense of course the other guy won... but that's not really what matters.

trailangel 07-01-19 08:35 AM

I will wear neon pink and green, but will grow a beard to let the whole world know I am not a clown, but a man.

livedarklions 07-01-19 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by UniChris (Post 21005589)
In terms of fashion sense of course the other guy won... but that's not really what matters.

I readily accept the fact that a dish of slime mold has a better fashion sense than I do.