Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Singlespeed & Fixed Gear (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=178)
-   -   larger cog & chainring vs smaller (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=162902)

sers 12-29-05 03:28 PM

larger cog & chainring vs smaller

Is there any advantage using a large chainring + large cog over a smaller chainring + smaller cog when setting up a given gearing?

NimbusRidesFixd 12-29-05 04:14 PM

The only advantage I can think of is with the bigger chainring / bigger cog would be that the chain has MORE teeth to engage on, which might make you feel more secure knowing it has less of a chance to fall off. Another advantage perhaps is weight for the weight weenies.

Chad

potus 12-29-05 04:15 PM

a small set-up will be lighter but will wear out quicker. a big set-up also makes you tougher even if it is the same ratio. I used to ride 39x15 (69") and never got any action. now that I ride 52x20 (69") I get more action than Ice-T.

MLPROJECT 12-29-05 04:18 PM

big cogs just look weird

lz4005 12-29-05 04:18 PM

Bigger chainrings/cogs will spread out the wear over more teeth theoretically.

But mostly big chainrings just look cool.

jim-bob 12-29-05 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by potus
a small set-up will be lighter but will wear out quicker. a big set-up also makes you tougher even if it is the same ratio. I used to ride 39x15 (69") and never got any action. now that I ride 52x20 (69") I get more action than Ice-T.

Has Ice-T had any action since the unfortunate cyber-kangaroo incident?

jimshapiro 12-29-05 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by lz4005
Bigger chainrings/cogs will spread out the wear over more teeth theoretically. ...

I don't think so. Each time the back wheel makes a complete revolution all of the teeth on the cog have "done their job" once, whether there are 15, 17, or even 25 teeth (same logic holds for the chainring, with a factor for the gear ratio). It seems to me that the chain is what gets a bigger workout with larger gears. You've engaged and disengaged one revolution's worth of teeth and that could be 15, 17, or even 25 chain links. No?

Jim

popluhv 12-29-05 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by jimshapiro
I don't think so. Each time the back wheel makes a complete revolution all of the teeth on the cog have "done their job" once, whether there are 15, 17, or even 25 teeth (same logic holds for the chainring, with a factor for the gear ratio). It seems to me that the chain is what gets a bigger workout with larger gears. You've engaged and disengaged one revolution's worth of teeth and that could be 15, 17, or even 25 chain links. No?

Jim

The stress has been distributed over a wider surface area.

Fugazi Dave 12-29-05 05:07 PM

Aren't smaller cog's technically less efficient? I think I remember reading something to that effect...

juvi-kyle 12-29-05 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by MLPROJECT
big cogs just look weird

small chainrings look weird
you turd

genericbikedude 12-29-05 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by juvi-kyle
small chainrings look weird
you turd

Small drivetrains look cool. I used to rock 39x13.

You buttwad.

jim-bob 12-29-05 06:24 PM

I obviously don't spend enough time looking at my bikes.

lz4005 12-29-05 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by Fugazi Dave
Aren't smaller cog's technically less efficient? I think I remember reading something to that effect...

Very small cogs can start introducing more drag from bending the chain around a smaller diameter. Not to mention that it is easier to throw the chain with fewer teeth engaged at any one time.

humancongereel 12-29-05 08:14 PM

would skid patches play any part in this, perhaps?

Lunigma 12-29-05 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by lz4005
Very small cogs can start introducing more drag from bending the chain around a smaller diameter. Not to mention that it is easier to throw the chain with fewer teeth engaged at any one time.

big rings/cogs last longer, you're chain is less likely to fall off. those are the obvious ones. everyone should read this though: http://63xc.com/wakem/wakedriv.htm it'll change how you think!

ersatz radio 12-29-05 09:23 PM

For a given force on the pedal, there's more tension on the chain with a smaller cog.

juvi-kyle 12-29-05 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by genericbikedude
Small drivetrains look cool. I used to rock 39x13.

You buttwad.

yeah I used to think that you generic buttwad turd brain, but really look at it.

Kogswell 12-30-05 01:46 AM

larger seems to pedal easier, smoother - it feels better

and I think 1/8" chain feels better too - I use it on all cog/ring combos

Ken Cox 12-30-05 02:04 PM

I ride 53X19.

Subjectively, the same gear inch seems easier with a bigger cog and chainwheel combo.
I also like the way it looks.

Ronin 12-30-05 02:15 PM

I like to use a smaller wheel for added ground clearance,so I can climb over logs and rocks better :eek: