Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=220)
-   -   100+ temperatures (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1206505)

Hondo Gravel 07-03-20 04:15 PM

100+ temperatures

I知 going to have to be smart and stay off the bike this evening it just isn稚 safe. Heatstroke and heat sickness is overrated :lol:. Going to have to ride in the mornings and I知 not a morning person.

Iride01 07-03-20 05:13 PM

I don't shy away from the high temps. A bottle just doesn't get me as far as when temps are lower. I take it somewhat easier, but not so easy that I'd be out in those temps longer than needed. Also, if I can average 15 - 16 mph or better for the ride, then the evaporating sweat actually makes it seem a comfortable temp.

My higher fluid consumption does take some planning. Some routes I just can't get water or drink along the way so if I can't take it with me, I just don't go on those routes till cooler days. Shade is also a must, and we have plenty of tall pines, shady oaks and other broad leaf trees. So most roads and trails don't expose you to continuous sun.

It's also somewhat important to remember how quick you heat up when slowing and losing the cooling air flow. At times when climbs or other conditions force me to get below 14 mph the heat starts making itself known again. If I have to get down to 10 mph for very long on a climb, I have to be careful, because I can tell I'm getting into unsafe levels of heat.

Stopping for any length of time is potentially dangerous in or near triple digit heat. Not only do you loose the cooling effect, but the foam liner in a helmet holds heat nicely in the least desirable place for your body to heat up-- the brain! So if I have to stop other than three or four minutes, the helmet is coming off. And since I were sun-sleeves, those get pulled down. They just aren't very effective when stopped or slow on very hot days. I also move to the shade as quick as possible.

Probably if I was in your area, I'd be doing the same as you. It's been a long time since I've been to that part of Texas, but I remember it as being pretty open with shade along roads at a premium.

big john 07-03-20 05:50 PM

I can ride when it's hot but we don't have the humidity like you guys do. Still, I need tons of water when climbing in the heat. Above 95 degrees is hot to me but I have ridden over 110. I agree about the keep moving part.

Hondo Gravel 07-03-20 06:25 PM

The high humidity takes all the energy out of me. 2 1/2 hours with 2.5 liters of ice water is about what I can do. I have no place to refuel but can get avg 30 miles in so it works out ok. I guess I’m just tired I’m in this heat all day :lol:... S Texas I like winter riding...

cybirr 07-03-20 06:33 PM

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...5e8128427e.jpg
I have no idea what this even means.

I bring about 2 liters in a hydration pack. That's good for 100km in this weather. But if I plan to do more I need a resupply point.

freeranger 07-03-20 06:56 PM

Didn't seem to bother me in the past, like it does now. Guess I'm not adapting to high heat/humidity as easily these days. Guess I'm going to have to set the alarm clock a couple of hours earlier--maybe!

GeneO 07-03-20 07:10 PM

I kind of like hot vs. cool - in 80s and 90s even 100. We are having a two week spell of 90s. Did 2 33 mi low 90 rides this week. Just need to keep hydrated and out of direct sun as much as possible.

Since it is so warm, I am going to do some more night rides. It can ride the bike paths (hundreds of miles around here) with nobody else sharing.

Have you considered night rides? You just need a decent head and tail light,.

Hondo Gravel 07-03-20 07:11 PM

I think it’s my BP meds since they are diuretics so I slug down liquid constantly. And the RX label warns against heat and sunlight but that isn’t going to stop me from cycling. I love riding my bikes too much..

Hondo Gravel 07-03-20 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by GeneO (Post 21567981)
I kind of like hot vs. cool - in 80s and 90s even 100. We are having a two week spell of 90s. Did 2 33 mi low 90 rides this week. Just need to keep hydrated and out of direct sun as much as possible.

Since it is so warm, I am going to do some more night rides. It can ride the bike paths (hundreds of miles around here) with nobody else sharing.

Have you considered night rides? You just need a decent head and tail light,.

Yup, I have a niterider system all ready to go so I知 thinking about night riding. I知 just afraid of the drunks which we have many in rural Texas :lol:

Trakhak 07-03-20 07:24 PM

I was planning to do about 4.5 hours of a route with more or less non-stop hills this morning, but that turned out to be a bad plan on a 95-degree day. Still did 3.5 hours of the route, but I'd brought only 28 oz. of water. Not happy for the last couple of hours of the ride.

At the turnaround point, I could have and should have gone half an hour out of my way to get to a (somewhat) flatter route for the ride back.

Hondo Gravel 07-03-20 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by Trakhak (Post 21568005)
I was planning to do about 4.5 hours of a route with more or less non-stop hills this morning, but that turned out to be a bad plan on a 95-degree day. Still did 3.5 hours of the route, but I'd brought only 28 oz. of water. Not happy for the last couple of hours of the ride.

At the turnaround point, I could have and should have gone half an hour out of my way to get to a (somewhat) flatter route for the ride back.

That is a long way with only 28oz of liquid. I was on the C&O close to you池e area and it got hot and humid the last few days of the ride from Pittsburgh I felt like I was back in Texas...

big john 07-03-20 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by Hondo Gravel (Post 21567987)
Yup, I have a niterider system all ready to go so I知 thinking about night riding. I知 just afraid of the drunks which we have many in rural Texas :lol:

Might be safer in the early morning. They could be still drunk from last night, though. You have some good dirt roads, don't you? I wonder if they would be safe at night.

big john 07-03-20 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by Trakhak (Post 21568005)

I'd need at least 100oz for that and then drink water all evening.

gios 07-03-20 08:33 PM

The sun angle is lower in the morning also - reducing burning.

reverborama 07-03-20 08:42 PM

I went out this morning but only did about 15 miles. It was 87 when I started and 90+ when I got home. I think it topped out at 94. I didn't push it at all, just enjoyed the ride. Then I cut the lawn. I drank a lot of water.

texbiker 07-03-20 09:49 PM

Biking in the heat is what I like. I grew up where it gets cold and didn't know there was a place where it got to 100+. I use a CamelBak now that summer is here. I usually try to start before 10AM but earlier on Saturday.mornings.

canklecat 07-03-20 10:11 PM

Heat adaptation gets trickier as I get older. Took longer this year. I've done several rides of 20-35 miles with the temperature in the 90s, and one 35 mile ride on a day that peaked around 100F (feels like was supposedly 111F) and did okay. I just need to ride my ride, not try to match someone else's effort. So I ride solo, regardless of the pandemic.

I did my hard training prep work -- intervals and FTP stuff -- when the weather was cooler, and still do some at night after it cools off. I don't do "workout" rides in the heat. When the temp reaches 90 I ride whatever zone 2 is for me based on heart rate and how I feel subjectively.

I track my heart rate, drink plenty of water with electrolytes and whatever voodoo potion I sprinkle in, eat a snack about once an hour (or nibble a Clif bar for an hour), stop every couple of hours to stretch, and gear down my effort to suit conditions and how I feel. Works for me.

I was planning to ride 50 miles Thursday but back spasms stopped me after 30 miles. I had to literally pick up a neighbor who fell earlier Thursday and my lower back and hips are still sore. She's not much older than I am but very frail and alcoholic, and refuses to use a walker or cane. She falls a lot. Good reminder to take care of myself so I don't end up like that.

I'm resting Friday. I planned to ride a full century Saturday for July 4, but I'll adjust depending on how I feel. If the back and hip says 50 or so, I'll do that instead.

stevel610 07-04-20 04:57 AM

I try for 32 oz every hour on 90 degree+ days. I'm in my mid-50's so I don't ride over 100 degrees.

But its me 07-04-20 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by cybirr (Post 21567922)
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...5e8128427e.jpg
I have no idea what this even means.

I just laugh at the same message on my Garmin, as I sure don稚 feel adapted!

DrIsotope 07-04-20 08:00 AM

Here in the Land Without Humidityョ, 90コ isn't hot. That's a "going about your normal business" temperature. Gets warm in the triple-digits, and I just start early or wait until late if it's going to go past 105コ.

It seems like all of my particularly foolhardy cycling decisions have come on especially hot days. Spent 3 hours above 110コ last July, drinking over 2 liters per hour. It was remarkably unpleasant.

Helderberg 07-04-20 08:37 AM

Did 25 miles yesterday with only 951 ft of elev. gain, temps in the low 90's but the humidity was tough. Have not felt breathing difficulty like that as long as I can remember. I ride in all the temps in an effort to acclimate but this year is a new ball game. I am looking to do my first century this October but I think I will have to settle for a Birthday ride and do 72 miles. At least that way I also cover the metric century. :lol: If I didn't ride in the 90's here I would loose most of my summer. Just try to stay conscious of my hydration and stay on top of it. I am fortunate in that I can easily shift my rout and refill my water. This all sounds good until the humidity makes it feel like I am breathing through a pillow.
Frank.

Carbonfiberboy 07-04-20 09:28 AM

I've done several pass climbs in 100ー+ heat on rides from 8-10 hours, mostly in my 60s. One needs to train in the heat, wear an HRM, know where your water sources will be, wear a Camelbak, and use electrolytes sensibly. One also needs to wear a really good wicking jersey.

Hondo Gravel 07-04-20 10:27 AM

I’m going to set up my niterider light. I already use a rear light all the time. Take off around 7 pm then ride into the early night before the drunks are around. The backroads are lightly traveled so the drunks use them trying to avoid the cops.

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...9e964c067.jpeg

skidder 07-04-20 11:16 AM

I'm a few miles inland from the coastline on Southern California. 62F this morning when I went out for a ride at dawn, getting up to about 78F this afternoon.

You're welcome!

Gundo 07-04-20 11:48 AM

I used to like the heat but since I've been on Beta Blockers the heat kicks my butt. I find I'm worn out at the end of my rides and not from the mileage.