Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   "The 33"-Road Bike Racing (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1105191)

Ygduf 03-16-18 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by topflightpro (Post 20226418)
Did they prescribe you pain killers? Did they give you any opiates? If so, I encourage you to avoid taking them if possible. (We do a lot of work on opioid and heroin addiction here.)

My wife had surgery a few weeks ago, and I made her use only Advil.

you sound cruel!

I had been taking tramadol (left over after a bike crash where Ex busted my spine) for the previous 3 days, but after the root canal the pain was substantially lower and I've just been on advil.

Of things I have addiction issues with (exercise, food, caffeine) opiates will never be one of them. I hate how they make me feel and reserve them for only emergency use.

Ygduf 03-16-18 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by Doge (Post 20226494)
I wonder how many non-drinkers would rather take an opiate than a couple shots of a spirit.

one great thing about THC is that it's cheap and harmless as an edible. Weirdly my pain was so bad I wasn't even getting high, but I did manage a couple (2 for TR) hours sleep like 3 times between Sunday night and Thursday afternoon.

furiousferret 03-16-18 01:31 PM

Looks like I'm going to plan a trip and ride up the Alp d'Huez in a few weeks. A trip to my living room since Zwift is adding it.

big john 03-16-18 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by Ygduf (Post 20227169)

Of things I have addiction issues with (exercise, food, caffeine) opiates will never be one of them. I hate how they make me feel and reserve them for only emergency use.

You can add nicotine and alcohol to my list of addictions, but opiates do suck.
A year ago I had shingles in my eye, the pain was pretty high on the pain chart. A friend gave me thc pills and they helped keep my mind off of the pain, more than actually relieving the pain. I got some Gabapentin and some other narcotic from the doc and I only used the Gabapentin twice and I never opened the other thing.

You had a crash with RacerEx?

Flatballer 03-16-18 06:56 PM

Flew to see my grandmother today. She had a fall last month, probably not gonna last super long, really sent her downhill, both physically and mentally, interesting how that happens just from a fall.

I can safely report that flying still kind of sucks, but it's cheaper than taking a day or two off work to drive, and it's still remarkably cheap for hurtling through the air 6 miles up at hundreds of miles an hour, with relatively good fuel economy per person (CRJ200 from Bombardier that I was on is like 85 miles per gallon per person, way better than my car, even if I put 3 people in my car).

Also, the internet and cell signal here are both atrocious.

Enthalpic 03-16-18 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by Flatballer (Post 20227848)
Flew to see my grandmother today. She had a fall last month, probably not gonna last super long, really sent her downhill, both physically and mentally, interesting how that happens just from a fall.

Pelvic fractures in the elderly has a ~50% mortality rate! It just sends them into a downward spiral

Flatballer 03-16-18 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by Enthalpic (Post 20227901)
Pelvic fractures in the elderly has a ~50% mortality rate! It just sends them into a downward spiral

Yeah, it's really crazy how dangerous a fall can be at that age, even one that doesn't necessarily seem serious. I don't think she broke anything, just some scrapes and bruises and stuff, but she went from pretty mild dementia, to not knowing what time it is, thinking her dresser is a fridge, not recognizing people or remembering them from 5 minutes ago. It's hard to watch.

topflightpro 03-17-18 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by Ygduf (Post 20227169)
you sound cruel!

I had been taking tramadol (left over after a bike crash where Ex busted my spine) for the previous 3 days, but after the root canal the pain was substantially lower and I've just been on advil.

I wasn't trying to be. I just didn't want to risk her getting hooked. They gave her some while she was in the recovery room after the surgery, and she seemed to be enjoying it. It really is amazing how quickly some people can get hooked on opioids.

I told her if the pain became unbearable with just Advil, we could use what was prescribed (Oxycontin?) that was prescribed, but I wanted her to try to avoid it if she could.

tetonrider 03-17-18 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by Ygduf (Post 20227176)
one great thing about THC is that it's ... harmless

not so fast!

Doge 03-17-18 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by tetonrider (Post 20229149)
not so fast!

On THC, alcohol or opiates for the purpose of killing pain, I don't think anyone is suggesting driving as per the video.

For recreation, all are used and all have issues, and I don't see any as benign. Thousands of years of up to 14% ABV beverages means alcohol is pretty tested on humans. Distilled beverages are only a few hundred year old, still pretty tested and do have more "issues". Alcohol it is uniquely also a food - 6KCal/g. So alcohol is special and tested on humans for thousands of years. TCH extracted in edibles is still pretty new. Those that have used it for decades, smoking the weed, do not appear to me to be mentally where those that don't are. I'm just the observer. For pain, likely great stuff. We were researching for our 90+ parents.

tetonrider 03-17-18 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by Doge (Post 20229227)
On THC, alcohol or opiates for the purpose of killing pain, I don't think anyone is suggesting driving as per the video.

it. was. a. joke.

hard (for me) to watch that video and not laugh. hard.

:)

tetonrider 03-17-18 05:20 PM

No pothead is going to show up at a drive-thru with no money! ;-)

Ygduf 03-17-18 10:29 PM

I get my drugs delivered. I get food delivered.

tetonrider 03-17-18 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by Ygduf (Post 20227176)
a couple (2 for TR)

thanks! :)

for the record, my beef is with people saying "a couple, three"; i get that it is correct... just find it folksy when people say it aloud. writing doesn't really bother me. :)

rubiksoval 03-18-18 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by tetonrider (Post 20229893)
thanks! :)

for the record, my beef is with people saying "a couple, three"; i get that it is correct... just find it folksy when people say it aloud. writing doesn't really bother me. :)

Principal of my high school used to get on the morning announcements... "I've got a couple of three things to announce..."

Ugh.

Doge 03-18-18 06:51 PM

Got another USA Cycling team (girl) coming to the USAF Academy and expect another next year.
This is the place for academic cyclist - get the work out.

Doge 03-18-18 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by rideaz (Post 20223610)
Question for SoCal people or anyone who has ridden Palomar mtn: is there anywhere to get water at the top or the observatory? Thx

How cold was it? As my wife and I were riding through CP today I mentioned your post. She laughed. Butt cold down here, must have been awful up there.

tetonrider 03-18-18 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by Doge (Post 20231264)
How cold was it? As my wife and I were riding through CP today I mentioned your post. She laughed. Butt cold down here, must have been awful up there.

it was 40F here the other day.... SO warm! skied in a t-shirt. (serious)

rideaz 03-19-18 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by Doge (Post 20231264)

haha. I assume it was! Looked at the forecast and saw 33 and raining at Palomar on Saturday. I don't even own a rain jacket! So I did the Swami's ride instead, it rained hard for the first hour and that was cold enough for me. I got done in time to spend a few bonus hours with my kid and his buddies, took them out for lunch before driving home to (warm) AZ.
I'll tackle Palomar when I visit in May :-)

gsteinb 03-20-18 07:50 AM

more snow on the way, more race cancellations to follow

Flatballer 03-20-18 08:03 AM

Nobody warned me that it was like this in the Northeast. I blame all of you.

I flew to TN last weekend to visit my grandmother who probably doesn't have long to live, and it was beautiful there. I wore short sleeves the entire time, didn't even take my jacket out of my bag. It was like 70 degrees, nice warm breeze, green grass, green trees.

rubiksoval 03-20-18 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by Flatballer (Post 20234277)
Nobody warned me that it was like this in the Northeast. I blame all of you.

I flew to TN last weekend to visit my grandmother who probably doesn't have long to live, and it was beautiful there. I wore short sleeves the entire time, didn't even take my jacket out of my bag. It was like 70 degrees, nice warm breeze, green grass, green trees.

Yeah, well, it's snowing outside my window right now.

Mid TN weather is dysfunctional at times.

gsteinb 03-22-18 03:36 PM

Old teammate of mine was in the process of preparing to start racing again. He was involved in some sort of crash (details seem to be unknown) and broke his neck. After being in a coma he passed away. Just found out today. Sorry I missed the services. He was a good teammate, good guy.

ntnyln 03-22-18 04:27 PM

Sorry to hear @gsteinb

Ygduf 03-22-18 05:00 PM

Brutal. Sorry, Gary. @gsteinb