Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   "The 33"-Road Bike Racing (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1105191)

globecanvas 06-19-17 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by mike868y (Post 19662835)
cool story

Here's a better one:

https://www.strava.com/activities/96...ts/23705106962

33 mph for 9 minutes on 209 watts. I can 100% confirm this was on a bicycle, and not even a TT bike. But, I riddle you, how can this be?

... because he was drafting off a dump truck towing a bulldozer. TBH that's a bit fast for a dump truck towing a bulldozer to be going on that road so the whole truck-machine-cyclist system must have been a sight to behold. Best opportunistic motorpace ever.

rubiksoval 06-19-17 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by globecanvas (Post 19662896)
... because he was drafting off a dump truck towing a bulldozer. TBH that's a bit fast for a dump truck towing a bulldozer to be going on that road so the whole truck-machine-cyclist system must have been a sight to behold. Best opportunistic motorpace ever.

Two years ago I drafted a firetruck going 30-35 down a narrow road for a few miles, right up until he straddles a massive crater in the road I didn't know was there. One broken rear wheel and one front flat later and I've stopped drafting humongous trucks on narrow roads.

Fun while it lasted, though.

mattm 06-19-17 02:33 PM

Thought I was having a heart attack yesterday during my ride.

I was descending and felt a sharp pain in my chest, that didn't go away. Felt fine otherwise, so it was weird.

Pulled over, and discovered a bee trapped inside my jersey (I had it half open since it was hot af) - sweet! Never been so happy to get stung by a bee. Luckily I'm not allergic, but it hurts like a mofo. Still hurts today.

big john 06-20-17 07:18 AM

Years ago while riding my motorcycle off-road I scooped a wasp into my jersey. This taught me to zip up when descending on the bike, but sometimes I forget.

Ttoc6 06-20-17 08:23 PM

Yesterday was one of the hardest emotional days of my life. I drove off from the parents house for the last time for the forseeable future. Started the road trip in Seattle (leaving at 5AM) and made it to yellowstone in time to see 3 places. Couple all the emotional stress of leaving home and a loooong day has me pretty tired.

Or maybe it was just trying to deal with riding at altitude again today.

revchuck 06-21-17 02:50 AM

Don't discount the effects of emotional stress. They're real. Leaving home and starting your own life and career is one of the biggest events in your life, so what you're going through is natural. Add in the long drive and hard rides at altitude and you're kicking your own ass. :)

All the best in your new digs and job!

rubiksoval 06-21-17 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by Ttoc6 (Post 19666775)
Yesterday was one of the hardest emotional days of my life. I drove off from the parents house for the last time for the forseeable future. Started the road trip in Seattle (leaving at 5AM) and made it to yellowstone in time to see 3 places. Couple all the emotional stress of leaving home and a loooong day has me pretty tired.

Or maybe it was just trying to deal with riding at altitude again today.

Good luck! This is an exciting time. It'll probably involve a bit of craziness and quite a few "oh man, what do I do now?" moments, but hopefully you'll look back on it with fondness.

I didn't move out after college so much as I moved to another continent for almost seven years with just two suitcases. It was fraught with nuttiness from the get go but I really enjoyed it overall and my mid 20s were definitely the most exciting and profound years of my life.

Enjoy the ride!

miyata man 06-21-17 05:56 AM

Avoid "meetings" at all costs and engage in "soaking" as much as you can. ;)

TMonk 06-21-17 07:36 AM

Good stuff @Ttoc6! I've enjoyed reading all of your travelling and riding posts as of late.

himespau 06-21-17 09:11 AM

My wife and I just gave our first radio interview about a joint research project we are both working on. Given how much I hate listening to recordings of my own lectures (where I am prepared in advance and can control the direction of the discussion), I'm definitely not looking forward to hearing this if/when it gets on the air - even worse if they put it on the local TV as they said they might.

Ttoc6 06-21-17 09:37 AM

Thanks for the encouragement guys. Just finished this morning's ride in Jackson after the first fulls nights sleep I've got in a while. Definitely made me feel better physically.

Now onto the last leg of this drive. 4 hours and 250 miles to go.

scheibo 06-21-17 11:41 AM

been too overwhelmed with travel to post about riding (though I have been getting in some riding!), but i had my saddlebag stolen on Saturday and I was curious as to the whether most cyclists keep their wallets or phones in there or something? i added it up and my saddle bag is $100 value (tube, co2s, the bag itself, etc) but the only bit interesting to a thief is the $20 bill i leave inside it for emergencies (i keep my phone and wallet in my jersey). value wise it would have been smarter and easier for the thief to just take my garmin. either way, i'm mostly bummed to be reminded that people are scumbags, even Canadians.

aaronmcd 06-21-17 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by scheibo (Post 19668104)
been too overwhelmed with travel to post about riding (though I have been getting in some riding!), but i had my saddlebag stolen on Saturday and I was curious as to the whether most cyclists keep their wallets or phones in there or something? i added it up and my saddle bag is $100 value (tube, co2s, the bag itself, etc) but the only bit interesting to a thief is the $20 bill i leave inside it for emergencies (i keep my phone and wallet in my jersey). value wise it would have been smarter and easier for the thief to just take my garmin. either way, i'm mostly bummed to be reminded that people are scumbags, even Canadians.

Back at Stanford I left my saddle bag on the bike outside all the time. My tool was stolen out of it only once. My stem was stolen once. That was weird. And no I would absolutely never leave a phone or wallet outside unattended. Those always go in my pocket.

Ygduf 06-21-17 12:17 PM

iphone 7 in my pocket. I quit carrying cash because I don't do long rides anywhere and paypal/venmo/uber would solve cash needs.

caloso 06-21-17 12:42 PM

Phone in pocket, usually will carry a small plastic sleeve with my DL/CC/Kaiser card. Occasionally will put a $10 or $20 in there if I think I might stop for some reason. I also stash a few bucks in the bars sometimes, never in my saddle bag.

TMonk 06-21-17 01:08 PM

Phone, wallet and keys always in pocket. If I'm going long in adverse or changing weather and I need pocket room for food and clothes, I sub out the wallet for a plastic sleeve as @caloso suggested.

mattm 06-21-17 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by scheibo (Post 19668104)

Even Canadians??

miyata man 06-21-17 01:20 PM

A number of years ago I was excited to find PRO started making storage bottles to put in my downtube cage. They are incredibly handy and easy to ditch at the bottom of climbs or remove from the bike in general. Saddlebags are more useful on a mtb or for extended time on dirt where the chances of losing a bottle or crashing and losing the contents of a jersey are high.

http://www.flowbikestore.com/image/d...019%20LOGO.jpg

globecanvas 06-21-17 02:59 PM

Never had a seat bag stolen but it doesn't surprise me. I once had a baby seat stolen out of my car.

I keep a $10 bill folded over like 50 times inside the nickel sized park tool patch kit. Not to hide it, just for size/convenience.

[edit] folding a bill in half 50 times would result in it being smaller than the smallest known subatomic particle.

caloso 06-21-17 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by miyata man (Post 19668379)
A number of years ago I was excited to find PRO started making storage bottles to put in my downtube cage. They are incredibly handy and easy to ditch at the bottom of climbs or remove from the bike in general. Saddlebags are more useful on a mtb or for extended time on dirt where the chances of losing a bottle or crashing and losing the contents of a jersey are high.

http://www.flowbikestore.com/image/d...019%20LOGO.jpg

Peanut butter jar.

himespau 06-21-17 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by caloso (Post 19668580)
Peanut butter jar.

Water bottle you never use? When I used to commute, I never had my bag stolen, but I got nervous many times. My $20 bill is wrapped around my multitool. The one time I had to make the call of shame, I had to borrow the phone of a local pub because I'd forgotten the phone. I offered the guy the $20 when my wife finally showed up, but he turned it down. I still need to go there for dinner sometime to (sort of) make up for it.

Ygduf 06-21-17 03:27 PM

pro storage bottles stretch your cages. used to anyway.

revchuck 06-21-17 03:31 PM

I rarely go on a non-recovery ride where I can afford to go without both bottle cages. In the summertime here, anything over an hour and a half means I'm already using a jersey pocket.

TheKillerPenguin 06-21-17 03:51 PM

Is anyone else getting the "wait for moderator approval" messages today?

Ygduf 06-21-17 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by TheKillerPenguin (Post 19668710)
Is anyone else getting the "wait for moderator approval" messages today?

no.