Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Check out this restoration...this guy is pretty good (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1202326)

interceptor 05-22-20 08:07 PM

Check out this restoration...this guy is pretty good

Like how he gets the most out of what tools he has.....and how he uses that nail!

vane171 05-22-20 08:51 PM

Certainly it is not his first bike he is doing, look how fast he builds wheels. My knees are hurting just to see him sitting cross legged while doing it.

TwoWheelTony 05-22-20 10:22 PM

Impressive! gonna be honest that i cringed when all the ball bearings went flying though hah!

southpier 05-23-20 03:35 AM

with the double top tubes, I thought it was a Homer Hilsen

Maelochs 05-23-20 03:41 AM

Near flawless technique. having done all that many times (except building the wheels) I know there are a thousand ways to mess up and he avoids them all.

rollagain 05-23-20 02:17 PM

Pheonix, it is! Such an appropriate name. Had to laugh at the "18 Speed" decal, though.

Good for another 100,000 miles, lol!

63rickert 05-23-20 04:26 PM

Thought I saw a Raleigh headbadge a couple times, so Phoenix would only be the crank. Either way this is a Raleigh DL-1, or a clone, simply the most common bicycle on the planet. Basically unchanged for well over 100 years. One of the virtues of never changing is that this kind of mechanic knows every piece really well.

And they ride really well. The ride is another reason to leave it alone.

Mulberry20 05-23-20 05:02 PM

I have a new appreciation for sledge hammers and hoof trimmers.

Happy Feet 05-23-20 08:24 PM

Really enjoyed it. This is the sort of thing I like to do as well, often looking for a real beater to bring back to life.

rollagain 05-24-20 12:32 PM

I could imagine there being someone like this in every little village in under-developed territories that depend on bikes for transportation. Probably a lot of the work done without the benefit of any power tools. And a lot of that work might be done by little kids.

vane171 05-24-20 12:49 PM

Weird contrast - the guy makes the bike that you'd consider dead write off like new but he (and others in that neighborhood) does nothing about improving his place in similar fashion. Like that back alley way he gives the finished bike spin in is also a 'dead write off' but nothing is done about it by those who live there. What a dispiriting place to live in.

canklecat 05-24-20 08:31 PM

Makes RJ the Bike Guy's adjustable wrench, duct tape and homebrewed tools approach to repairs seem like brain surgery.

canklecat 05-24-20 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by vane171 (Post 21494601)
Weird contrast - the guy makes the bike that you'd consider dead write off like new but he (and others in that neighborhood) does nothing about improving his place in similar fashion. Like that back alley way he gives the finished bike spin in is also a 'dead write off' but nothing is done about it by those who live there. What a dispiriting place to live in.

Doesn't look any different from the back alleys in many US cities and small towns.

vane171 05-25-20 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by canklecat (Post 21495284)
Doesn't look any different from the back alleys in many US cities and small towns.

In some way, yes and no. Thing is, I've seen much worse in North America but then you talk about people who likely live by some sort of crime or whatever, not skilled and diligent like this chap in the video. With that enthusiasm he puts into renovating the bikes, and likely many in such place are like him, they could do something about those dwelling walls that look like pigsties. I've been around enough to know what it all looks like, even what the video doesn't show.

But that's just saying, likely those folks have good reason having it the way it is.

FiftySix 05-25-20 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by vane171 (Post 21495512)
In some way, yes and no. Thing is, I've seen much worse in North America but then you talk about people who likely live by some sort of crime or whatever, not skilled and diligent like this chap in the video. With that enthusiasm he puts into renovating the bikes, and likely many in such place are like him, they could do something about those dwelling walls that look like pigsties. I've been around enough to know what it all looks like, even what the video doesn't show.

But that's just saying, likely those folks have good reason having it the way it is.

Lack of income. Fixing up worn out bikes and selling them cheap probably barely keeps him housed and fed. Assuming he doesn't have a better job somewhere.

jackb 05-26-20 10:10 AM

We know nothing about this man, not even the country he lives in, let alone his financial condition, the economic conditions he faces, or anything else for that matter. How can we make any sort of judgement about his life?

thehammerdog 05-27-20 04:26 AM

Originally Posted by interceptor (Post 21491646)
Like how he gets the most out of what tools he has.....and how he uses that nail!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OI5nkf8SfQ

is he using that new Park brand mallet?

texaspandj 05-27-20 05:02 AM

Originally Posted by jackb (Post 21497921)
We know nothing about this man, not even the country he lives in, let alone his financial condition, the economic conditions he faces, or anything else for that matter. How can we make any sort of judgement about his life?

Exactly.
Maybe his surroundings help keep judgement jerks away....but doesn't keep them from judging.

Wanderer 05-27-20 07:31 AM

Chinese Flying Pigeon, I believe!

thehammerdog 05-27-20 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by interceptor (Post 21491646)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OI5nkf8SfQ

18 speed?

A1A Rider 05-28-20 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by thehammerdog (Post 21500007)
18 speed?

Technical Truth in Advertising....

It says 18 SPEED..... not 18 GEARS. So technically, the bike can go up to 18 speeds...(from 1 mph to 18 mph) depending entirely on your cadence.:)

The guy is amazing... assuming he was a trash picker for the bike, I wonder how much it costs to re-build and how much he can get for the rebuilt bike. Overhead looks low !

Solo_rider 05-29-20 04:35 PM

It looks like it's in Pakistan from the clothing. All his labor probably still costs way less than buying a new bike. Nothing wrong with restoring a bike and using it if you don't have the means. Man, those brakes from the 70's. I remember them.

Best thing is the 18 speed sticker. lol. How many speeds do you want on your sticker ? 18. lols