Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Folding Bikes (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=221)
-   -   Brompton with drop bars (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1208959)

biker101 07-30-20 09:26 PM

Brompton with drop bars

I managed to add drop ends to my Brompton without increasing the folded size, see
mybikesite.org/#Handlebar

GTA 07-31-20 12:58 AM

Hi 101, I have read thru your site and to me it is very impressive.
I can't imagine how much effort you have put onto your Brompton.
And I bet you enjoy it a lot. :-)

biker101 07-31-20 02:40 PM

Thanks. Yes, you have to enjoy both the process and the result! The Brompton is so nicely engineered, and it is very motivating to add additional funcionality.

biker101 08-02-20 04:52 PM

Since I am tall, I need a longer reach.

Those handlebar solutions show that you can realize some options if you use a wide bar (560 or 580 mm), and the horn, bar ends, or drop ends fit around the front wheel when folded.

Shmockiebaby 09-07-20 10:50 AM

Did I miss something on your site? What kind of stem is that?

ttakata73 09-09-20 09:10 AM

I liked all your modifications. I think you could design a better bike than Brompton. I hate the original stem since it won't accept most modern 31.8mm handlebars.

fietsbob 09-09-20 11:50 AM

Get a bank to fund an Aftermarket factory to see if your parts designs sell well ..

NB: 26mm is only ,6 mm larger than an inch & Manufacturers still make 1" handlebars , today..

eyeletsnoptions 09-11-20 02:32 PM

Oh wow! I didnt think anyone would try this! very cool!

biker101 09-13-20 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by Shmockiebaby (Post 21682109)
Did I miss something on your site? What kind of stem is that?

All details about the stem are on my site, see
mybikesite.org/#Stem

fietsbob 09-15-20 11:40 AM

Problem I see, personally. : that big lump of tape over the clamp holding that drop-bar ends on .. That is where,

with a conventional drop bar, the curved transition from top to the downward direction
is where actually, riding long distances, I spend most of my time ..

& that big lump is a no-go for that

have a 48cm wide Nitto bar on my loaded, tour for months, bike..

biker101 09-20-20 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by fietsbob (Post 21695515)
Problem I see, personally. : that big lump of tape over the clamp holding that drop-bar ends on .. That is where,

with a conventional drop bar, the curved transition from top to the downward direction
is where actually, riding long distances, I spend most of my time ..

& that big lump is a no-go for that

have a 48cm wide Nitto bar on my loaded, tour for months, bike..

I agree. This is why I have also the straight barends. Those are 44 cm apart, and this is what I am using if I want to have a position similar to "on the hoods". I use the drop ends mainly to ride "in the drops". Yes, it feels a little bit wide, but not bad, and I am using it at least half of the time during longer rides.

Overall, it is a compromise. I would prefer a regular wide drop bar --- but this is incompatible with the Brompton fold. I have tried a number of things with folding bikes (Bike Friday Tikit, Brompton), and the dropends are the best solution I could come up with.