Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Singlespeed & Fixed Gear (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=178)
-   -   Help me skip stop & skid (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1010903)

jitteryloki 05-28-15 03:32 PM

Help me skip stop & skid

okay, so im small in size and weight, maybe 125lbs and 5'6", and i need help, my gearing is 46/16 so im having trouble holding skids and skipping, but any lower gearing and i just feel im spinning all the time. please help.

prooftheory 05-28-15 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by jitteryloki (Post 17845941)
okay, so im small in size and weight, maybe 125lbs and 5'6", and i need help, my gearing is 46/16 so im having trouble holding skids and skipping, but any lower gearing and i just feel im spinning all the time. please help.

Are you successful at skidding at lower gears or are you just unwilling to try? The easy answer is brakes.

sickz 05-28-15 04:05 PM

1. skips are usually the result when first learnin' to skid.

2. when learning to skid, drop the ratio to 70 gear inches or lower (the better). the biggest obstacle for rookies is overcoming the friction due to their ignorance of how much strength to apply; they never apply nearly enough. until that happens, they'll never "get it".

3. once they get it, they'll be skipping around until they've built the strength to hold it.

start small ppl.

TejanoTrackie 05-28-15 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by sickz (Post 17846043)
1. skips are usually the result when first learnin' to skid.

2. when learning to skid, drop the ratio to 70 gear inches or lower (the better). the biggest obstacle for rookies is overcoming the friction due to their ignorance of how much strength to apply; they never apply nearly enough. until that happens, they'll never "get it".

3. once they get it, they'll be skipping around until they've built the strength to hold it.

start small ppl.

Yeah, the only bike I do any skidding on is my Cretin, which is geared super low at about 61 gi.

bmontgomery87 05-28-15 06:27 PM

Low gear ratio
Wet asphalt
Bullhorns

You'll learn to skid.
Just don't try whip skids on wet roads....unless you have a camera

murrellington 05-28-15 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by j0e_bik3 (Post 6262139)
I STILL can't do em right:

the way that feels natural is with the wheel pointing AWAY from the front foot, and thats backwards, but I can stand longer like that, than with the wheel pointing towards the front foot.

I can't teach myself apparently :roflmao:

I guess I'm not weird, I do it the same way. If my right foot is forward then I have my front wheel pointing left. I can actually trackstand for quite a bit, but I should really learn the right way. There's gotta be a reason most people do it that way.

Also, skip stops... How is it hard to learn? Not trying to be a dick but don't you just pop your back wheel up while locking your legs and you keep doing it to slow down? I remember learning it in like 10 seconds when I was a noob with no help. Unless I do it completely wrong......

sickz 05-28-15 11:23 PM

focusing on resisting with your front foot is what made it click for me.

T13 05-29-15 03:11 AM

Not asking people on the internet and just riding my bike is what made it click for me.

I mean, seriously, all yer doing is stopping yer wheel from moving. Its simple. More time riding, less time not riding.

jitteryloki 05-29-15 06:30 AM

i can easily skid in something lower, like my friends 44/17 is easy for me, but on my higher ratio i just cannot get the back wheel to hold the skid, even with all my weight on the front wheel, but i am getting much better at skipping.

sickz 05-29-15 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by jitteryloki (Post 17847346)
i can easily skid in something lower, like my friends 44/17 is easy for me, but on my higher ratio i just cannot get the back wheel to hold the skid, even with all my weight on the front wheel, but i am getting much better at skipping.

a pair of these help

http://i61.tinypic.com/2e1snxl.jpg

jitteryloki 05-29-15 06:43 PM

yes, i have plenty of muscle, i routinely start and can maintain great speed and climb hills even in my current ratio, i feel i might just be not using the right technique for skidding or my low body mass makes it much easier for the inertia of the pedals to throw me around and stop my skid, literally when i try, even balls to my stem, the pedals pick me up no matter how hard i resist.

john4789 05-29-15 06:54 PM

The issue is the jitters, loki. You need to kick the smack first, only then can sw8 skids be part of your life. peace.

john4789 05-29-15 06:54 PM

:/

Originally Posted by sickz (Post 17847903)

sickz 05-29-15 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by jitteryloki (Post 17849499)
yes, i have plenty of muscle, i routinely start and can maintain great speed and climb hills even in my current ratio, i feel i might just be not using the right technique for skidding or my low body mass makes it much easier for the inertia of the pedals to throw me around and stop my skid, literally when i try, even balls to my stem, the pedals pick me up no matter how hard i resist.

lets keep this simple. when your feet are at 3 and 9 o clock, stop pedaling. pause. do whatever in your power to prevent the cranks from rotating another degree. the end.

technique is for those who dont have the strength to do this, outright, while seated.

GENESTARWIND 05-29-15 07:58 PM

Brain melting

tadswana 05-31-15 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by jitteryloki (Post 17845941)

Drop your ratio with a larger rear cog - try a 20 or so, then try and go back to your 16. I'm new to fixed gear running 48/20, and still look ironing out the wrinkles - I'll drop the rear cog to an 18 later in the year when I'm a little more confident.

jitteryloki 06-01-15 06:45 AM

if i drop my ratio any more i feel like im always just spinning, even at 46/16 i still feel like its way too easy to pedal.

T13 06-01-15 07:05 AM

Then just give up.

SpeshulEd 06-01-15 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by T13 (Post 17855084)
Then just give up.

Your tires will thank you.

sickz 06-01-15 04:55 PM

Tires are free if u live around a high end bike shop.

SpeshulEd 06-01-15 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by sickz (Post 17856973)
Tires are free if u live around a high end bike shop.

I actually live fairly close to a few...I'm totally going to check their dumpsters at night when they close.

sickz 06-01-15 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by SpeshulEd (Post 17856998)
I actually live fairly close to a few...I'm totally going to check their dumpsters at night when they close.

u really should. IME[xperience] 20% of the tubes are good too.

if they lock the dumpster, just go in the day, eff it. It don't look so bad if you pull up on a nice bike.