Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Bicycle Mechanics (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Upgrade advice??? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1183531)

Mike Beardsley 09-12-19 06:17 PM

Upgrade advice???

Can I upgrade my Shimono 105 front derailleur to an ultegra as long as specs are the same?

Bill Kapaun 09-12-19 06:49 PM

Do you mean with the same cable pull spec's? Then yes.
If you're not sure, you'd better provide some model#'s. 5600 series is different than 5700, but compatible with older generations. (I think)
I'm not real knowledgeable on the "road" stuff, but there are incompatibilities that exist.

rccardr 09-12-19 07:34 PM

Yes, as long as we are talking 6-7-8-9-10 speed stuff.
If not, please explain.

dsbrantjr 09-12-19 08:22 PM

You should not expect a startling performance improvement with such an upgrade.

cyccommute 09-12-19 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by dsbrantjr (Post 21120446)
You should not expect a startling performance improvement with such an upgrade.

+1. In fact, stepping up a level in Shimano front derailers is something of a step down. The more expensive derailers can be very finicky about set up. The cages tend to be narrower and more highly sculpted which makes them rub in more gears. The cheaper versions of all Shimano front derailers (road and mountain) are better mechanisms.

Mike Beardsley 09-12-19 09:02 PM

To cyccommute

Thank you for the info. Would using a different brand in particular reap any rewards?

Bill Kapaun 09-12-19 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by Mike Beardsley (Post 21120507)
Thank you for the info. Would using a different brand in particular reap any rewards?

You ask questions that can have different answers depending on WHAT BRAND & MODEL you are talking about.
Do you want help or do you want a confusing thread.

What problem are you trying to correct?
If none, leave it alone.

le mans 09-13-19 03:37 AM

Originally Posted by Mike Beardsley (Post 21120260)
Can I upgrade my Shimono 105 front derailleur to an ultegra as long as specs are the same?

New 105s are considered better than old Ultegras, something to boggle the mind:D

cyccommute 09-13-19 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by Mike Beardsley (Post 21120507)

Maybe, maybe not. There might be compatibility issues if you go to, for example, SRAM. Microshift makes front derailers that are compatible with Shimano shifters. I have one on my touring bike that works well. But if your 105 is working, just stick with it. You won’t see many gains by changing it.

Wilfred Laurier 09-13-19 10:34 AM

If it isn't working well, and it's not damaged or excessively worn, that is an issue of setup and not quality.

FrenchFit 09-13-19 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by cyccommute (Post 21120454)
+1. In fact, stepping up a level in Shimano front derailers is something of a step down. The more expensive derailers can be very finicky about set up. The cages tend to be narrower and more highly sculpted which makes them rub in more gears. The cheaper versions of all Shimano front derailers (road and mountain) are better mechanisms.

:thumb: This needs to be said more often.

In a more cynical moments I feel like bike tech peaked several years, or decades, ago; it seems like diminishing returns since. Your comment was about FD solely, agreed, but I'd prefer an old skool Sora 8spd on my new bike vs. the Ultegra 11spd that seems to require constant tweaking. I sold my old Miyata with a Shimano 333 drivetrain this year-- original chain, freewheel, crankrings after 45 years, performed perfectly as a commuter. I guess this just makes me a retrogrouch.