Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Hybrid Bicycles (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=290)
-   -   Clip-ON pedals question (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1152627)

grayslaker 08-14-18 03:10 PM

Clip-ON pedals question

It is a two part question!!

1) Thinking about getting clip-on's for my Trek FX Sport 4. What kind of pedals and shoes folks here recommend?
2) I am new to clip on's. Is it safe? Is it easy to get foot out of the pedal at stops or during emergency?

Sorry #2 is a noob question. Is it a potential safety risk?

bogydave 08-14-18 04:39 PM

I got the dual sided pedal / SPD clip on one side, flat on the other
Shimano 530 I think.

Shoes,, best to try on for a good fit.
I like my Shimano shoes, but my preference came with "they fit real well"

Safe, yes
Takes some training your brain to remember you always have to unclip, one side to touch the ground before stopping.
It's a " self teacher"...... fall over a few times, you learn, as most of us did.

https://www.bikeforums.net/20504706-post34.html

NYMXer 08-14-18 05:14 PM

If you get the SPD's, you will find that walking around in the shoes much easier. Also, the shoes have cleats built into the bottoms to make them less slippery when walking.
As bogydave suggested, if the have the clips on one side and plan pedal on the other, you don't always need your shoes to ride, very handy.
You can also adjust how much effort it takes to unclip from the pedals, making the learning curve a bit easier.

talphie 08-14-18 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by NYMXer (Post 20506726)
If you get the SPD's, you will find that walking around in the shoes much easier. Also, the shoes have cleats built into the bottoms to make them less slippery when walking.
As bogydave suggested, if the have the clips on one side and plan pedal on the other, you don't always need your shoes to ride, very handy.
You can also adjust how much effort it takes to unclip from the pedals, making the learning curve a bit easier.

I added them to my Fx3 this year and I really like them. I would agree with both answers so far to your question. To help me from falling when clipped, I probably don’t clip in as often as some. If I’m on a trail with a lot of cross roads where I need to stop, I don’t clip in. If I’m riding longer with no stops, I clip in. I would rather clip in, but don’t trust myself enough yet to remember to un-clip. It really is a better “feel” when pedaling clipped in and there will be a learning curve to remember to un-clip, but worth the effort

Rootman 08-14-18 07:17 PM

I've had good luck with Shimano PD-T400 CLICK'R Clipless Pedals, they have flat and clips on both sides. I would try the silver SH56 dual release cleats. They can be release by turning your foot either direction. If you get used to them and want to get black cleats that hold tighter. After 3 years of riding with mine I stuck with the silver cleats. I am getting arthritis in my right hip and knee and it's easier for me to twist out of the cleats in a counterclockwise twist for both sides.

Shoes? Get something comfortable. Something in a sole that has a sole more like a street shoe is easier to walk around in. The first pair I had were mountain bike shoes and I slid around on tile whenever I tried to walk on it. I got a pair of sandals instead and will soon be getting a running shoe type pair.

EDIT: Frankly most bikers will not get much benefit from clips, the amount of energy added by being able to pull UP is not that much. I simply use them because I have a bit of neuropathy in my feet and I have difficulty keeping my foot in optimal position, I was either pedaling on my toes or heels. Cleats allow me to keep my feet in the correct position without much effort.

crazyravr 08-15-18 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by grayslaker (Post 20506514)

1) Thinking about getting clip-on's for my Trek FX Sport 4. What kind of pedals and shoes folks here recommend?
2) I am new to clip on's. Is it safe? Is it easy to get foot out of the pedal at stops or during emergency?

You will fall. Everyone does. Everyone.

#1 . Shimano SPD pedals and shoes are so dependent on your foot that no one should recommend anything. Go visit dealers and try them on.
#2 . Very safe with some practice in unclipping. After a while it will become second nature. Also, completely not necessary on a bike other than a racing road bike. I had them on my cross and swapped them for large surface grippy MTB pedals. Nothing lost, lots gained.

Jewishcowboy 08-15-18 09:51 AM

I have the Shimano Click R Pedals and Chrome Truk Pro shoes. Nice thing about the shoes is they look like regular tennis shoes with the cleats recessed into the sole so when you are walking you aren't clicking around on the ground. Very very easy to click out of. I also have a road bike with the traditional 3 part connection as opposed to the SPD's which have only 2. I just started using clipless 3 months ago and have yet to fall. Came close once but no accidents yet

travbikeman 08-15-18 10:06 AM

If you use your bike on a trainer during winter, it's helpful to hook the bike up to this and then get used to clipping in and out. But, yes, everyone falls.....

1nterceptor 08-15-18 10:46 AM

1. Shimano SPD is a good system to start with. I'm currently using Scott Tour shoes and Nashbar Ragster sandals.
2. Yes and yes. Been using various clipless systems in the last 10 years(SPD, Look, Eggbeaters, Speedplay, MKS, etc.).
I've slid on a wet plate in the rain and black ice; haven't tumbled yet because I couldn't clip out in time:

rumrunn6 08-15-18 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by travbikeman (Post 20507708)
everyone falls.....

no ...

Jewishcowboy 08-15-18 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by rumrunn6 (Post 20507919)
no ...

That's what I said, I haven't fallen yet and I've only been riding for 3 months

rumrunn6 08-15-18 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by Jewishcowboy (Post 20508183)
That's what I said, I haven't fallen yet and I've only been riding for 3 months

as I was writing, that I was sure I was jinxing myself

EpicTwiglet 08-15-18 03:19 PM

I have the Shimano SPDs on my Trek FX S5. Perfect pairing, easy in and out, and flat pedals for casual days out.

EpicTwiglet 08-15-18 03:19 PM

Voila

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...cc6da7f77.jpeg

MAK 08-15-18 09:36 PM

I use these. I can use sneakers or can clip in depending on my ride. There is a cheaper version, the 747 I believe. I'm happy with these on my hybrid and touring bike.

MAK 08-15-18 09:40 PM

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...98df8f2151.jpg
Sorry, picture didn't attach above.

crazyravr 08-16-18 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by EpicTwiglet (Post 20508390)

Nothing like the feeling of a new bike :)
I am actually debating getting the same frame pouch. Its in my amazon cart for a while now hehe :)

travbikeman 08-16-18 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by rumrunn6 (Post 20508290)
as I was writing, that I was sure I was jinxing myself

HA HA....you all so jinxed yourselves!!!!!

Oso Polar 08-16-18 09:57 AM

Get some SPD pedals, for example, Shimano PD-M520. As for the second question, it is easy to unclip, the problem is that it takes some time for this to became a reflex. What this means in practice is that you may be doing great with conscious unclipping, you'll start feeling confident, you'll not fall... until one day you'll need to do a hard emergency stop, you'll forget about everything else, you'll stop and fall. :) Good thing is that the fall will accelerate development of the unclipping reflex.

For me SPD pedals and proper cycling shoes made a huge difference, it felt as if I got a pair of wings attached. :) Safety is an interesting question. On one hand, I did fall several times because forgot (or was not fast enough) to unclip. However, all of these falls were at zero speed, so very little harm done. On the other hand, these pedals already saved me a few times during high speed emergency avoidance maneuvers and unexpected jumps over obstacles. Without them I'd for sure as a bare minimum would have been hit by pedals once one of my leg lost contact (and other kept rotating crank) and/or went down hard - being clipped allowed to pull the bicycle and avoid crash.

MRT2 08-16-18 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by grayslaker (Post 20506514)

Just to clarify, I think you mean clipless pedals. As opposed to pedals with toe clips.

Shimano SPD are the most common and the quality is very good. For pedals, I would suggest the Shimano M324. It has SPD on one side, very functional flat pedal on the other. If you want to go with double sided pedals, I would suggest the M520, or M530. The down side to double sided pedals is, you need to wear cycling shoes pretty much every time you ride, where as if you go with the M324, you can ride with tennis shoes, jogging shoes, sandals, boots,, whatever. Your choice.

It is very easy to unclip from SPD. Just twist your foot to the side. Much safer than toe clips.

grayslaker 08-20-18 08:27 PM

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Planning on a century ride (and a metric) in September. Didn't want to try anything new now.

Shimano SPD is what I am leaning to now. Will get it in October