Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Drop Bag (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1182767)

RidingMatthew 09-02-19 07:40 PM

Drop Bag

90 mile Riders can have a gallon zip-loc drop bag which will be at the mile 50 Aid Station

i have never done an event like this but what would this be for? what would i put in the drop bag? suggestions or advice?

TimothyH 09-02-19 08:14 PM

Put anything you want into the bag.

Anything you think you might need for the last 40 miles of the ride and don't want to carry for the first 50 miles is perfectly fine. As long as it fits in the bag it will be OK. Food and drink are typical - a couple of bottles, some bars, gels, etc.

You could put a couple cheeseburgers and french fries if that is what you want. I saw a can of coke in a drop bag and met someone who sent an 8 oz container of pickle juice ahead. I sent a small Boars Head Ovengold Turkey and Smoked Gouda wrap once - only about three or four bites but it was really good half way through a hard race.

Things like empty bottles can be put back into the bag for retrieval at the finish line. Keep in mind that it sometimes takes a lot of time for the bags to make it back and if you are fast, you might be waiting around.

-Tim-

Spoonrobot 09-02-19 08:47 PM

Put in a rabbit's foot. Sometimes you need it, sometimes you don't.

RidingMatthew 09-03-19 06:42 AM

hmm thanks. I guess I need to think about my nutrition a bit more for this ride. I know that gravel is harder than road so that means burning more calories. It is not a race but I would prefer to not slog through the miles.

wheelsmcgee 09-03-19 06:41 PM

Other than nutrition (electrolyte mix, gels, food, etc) you might consider
  • sunscreen
  • chamois butter
  • food that wouldn’t be easy to carry on a bike, like a box of cookies
  • extra tube
  • extra clothing, especially if weather may change. A gallon bag isn’t space for much, but a dry pair of socks is nice if you had some water crossings in the first half
  • chainlube

RidingMatthew 09-04-19 07:09 AM

thanks @wheelsmcgee that is a good start to a list as I think through the plan for the ride.

chas58 09-04-19 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by RidingMatthew (Post 21105394)
hmm thanks. I guess I need to think about my nutrition a bit more for this ride. I know that gravel is harder than road so that means burning more calories. It is not a race but I would prefer to not slog through the miles.

I don’t burn more calories – my power output is basically the same. I just go slower for the same effort. Going cross the state on the road puts me about 17.5mph while doing it on gravel puts me at about 13.5mph. So, naturally gravel takes longer...

RidingMatthew 09-04-19 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by chas58 (Post 21107894)
I don’t burn more calories – my power output is basically the same. I just go slower for the same effort. Going cross the state on the road puts me about 17.5mph while doing it on gravel puts me at about 13.5mph. So, naturally gravel takes longer...

@chas58 Thanks for the clarification. I am not sure how long 90 miles of gravel with 6000ft of elevation gain will take me.

Jakedatc 09-06-19 07:51 PM

+1 for fresh socks and gloves. I swapped out my gloves on my last long gravel ride at lunch and it was really nice. being a backpacker fresh socks is always a boost.

dsaul 09-07-19 03:51 AM

Originally Posted by RidingMatthew (Post 21108486)
@chas58 Thanks for the clarification. I am not sure how long 90 miles of gravel with 6000ft of elevation gain will take me.

If the event is UnPAved, I would expect a fairly strong rider to average 10-12mph on that course. I haven't done that course yet, but Keystone Gravel is in the same general area and my average for last years course was just over 11mph for 76 miles and 7700 ft. of elevation gain.

RidingMatthew 09-07-19 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by dsaul (Post 21111801)
If the event is UnPAved, I would expect a fairly strong rider to average 10-12mph on that course. I haven't done that course yet, but Keystone Gravel is in the same general area and my average for last years course was just over 11mph for 76 miles and 7700 ft. of elevation gain.

@dsaul yes that is the event. Thanks for your help. That is good to know.