Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Hunt 650 Carbon Gravel Wheels (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1175595)

Planemaker 06-13-19 06:39 PM

Hunt 650 Carbon Gravel Wheels

Any real world experience with these wheels? Hunt 650B Carbon Wheels

For that mater any real world experience with 650B's in 47mm wide or wider

gravelED 06-13-19 06:49 PM

No experience with the Hunt 650b wheelset, but I did run a set of XTR 650b wheelset (now up for sale) for a while. I rode them over all types of terrain with both WTB Byways 47 semi-slicks and Panaracer GK 48s and ultimately felt that for me, my 700c carbon wheelset with Panaracer GK 43's were better all around for what I ride. YMMV

fraba 06-13-19 07:01 PM

I ride 650b with WTB Byways 47. Love the set up for gravel and light singletracks and eventual bad roads or spring dirty roads. You would be surprised how low is the rolling resistance penalty.

tangerineowl 06-14-19 01:25 AM

Switch Back Hill extralight and Thunder Burt 2.0 liteskin, both setup tubeless.

Anything around 47mm+ (including the faster options) roll a bit slower than a 42mm. Those two tyres listed are pretty cushy and fast enough (including paved) if you're not racing.

SilverRubicon 06-27-19 04:45 PM

Why are Hunt wheel sets so inexpensive compared to the rest of the market? I have yet to find a bad review or anyone that was unhappy with their purchase. It makes me think I'm missing something and that they're too good to be true.

redlude97 06-27-19 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by SilverRubicon (Post 21000683)
Why are Hunt wheel sets so inexpensive compared to the rest of the market? I have yet to find a bad review or anyone that was unhappy with their purchase. It makes me think I'm missing something and that they're too good to be true.

They're trying to get marketshare. They are coming out with some of their own products now but almost all the older stuff is just novatec hubs with kinlin rims rebadged with decent build quality. Its the way a lot of smaller companies started out like Boyd/November etc.

shoota 06-27-19 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by SilverRubicon (Post 21000683)

Their hubs and bearings and rims aren't anything special. Mostly chinese and japanese stuff relabeled and packaged with a warranty at a good price.

tdilf 06-28-19 08:13 AM

What shoota said.
If I just needed a front wheel I would take a good look at a Hunt wheel. But for a wheelset - I prefer a quality rear hub and would look elsewhere (maybe that's just me).

chas58 06-28-19 03:37 PM

Their hubs and bearings and rims aren't anything special. Mostly chinese and japanese stuff relabeled and packaged with a warranty at a good price.
Yup, nothing wrong with them but its just Asian stuff rebranded. I was looking at them and ended up having "mill city cycles" build me up a custom set at a great price - and got to support one of us making a living out of cycling.

chief9245 06-30-19 12:14 PM

Not the carbons but I do have a set of Hunts in 650b on my Bombtrack EXT-C, they come stock. Running Panaracer Gravelkings in a 48 and the ride is fantastic. They stand behind their wheelsets too, three year warranty and a sixty day trial period. plus the price is unbeatable and the graphics are not gaudy. Like them so much I put a set of 700's on my Bombtrack Arise 2 single speed, those with 43 Gravelkings.

chief9245 06-30-19 12:16 PM

They're not Asian, they're English. Bearings are Japanese.

spdntrxi 06-30-19 12:23 PM

I'm not a Hunt fan and I will leave it at that....

I'm ridden 4 sets of 650b wheels as of late... and own 3
1. Santa Cruz reserve.. these are bombproof.. serious set of wheels. I think you can set and forget with these... kinda heavy
2. Enve G27.. love them.. light and so far bombproof.. I own them and use them with WTB Byways
3. Roval CLX32.. so far so good.. only a couple rides not a really wide internal width but seem to working well with the 42mm that are on now.. as light as the g27s. I own them
4. Easton EA70AX.. my tester rims for the 650b experiment.. obviously they were good enough to make my purchase #2 and #3 .. I need to sell them now.