Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Advocacy & Safety (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Intentional fatal hit and run by car thief, filmed by his passenger (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1281264)

vol 09-17-23 12:26 AM

Intentional fatal hit and run by car thief, filmed by his passenger

This is one of the most outrageous hit and run I've read about.

A retired police chief riding bike apparently on the far side of the road was murdered by a 17 year old who drove one of his stolen cars behind the cyclist and struck him intentionally. The passenger who filmed the whole thing seemed to have encouraged the driver to do it.

Video has emerged showing the recent hit-and-run death of a retired police chief in Las Vegas in what police are calling an intentional attack by the teenage driver.

Andreas Probst, 64, was fatally struck on August 14 while cycling in northwest Las Vegas, where he had retired after stepping down as the police chief of Bell, California, in 2009.

On Saturday, video circulated widely on social media and drew outraged reactions, showing the driver ask 'ready?' and the passenger, who was filming, laughing as he replies 'yeah, hit his a**.'
Very sad if you read how the victim's family found it out.

The article includes the disturbing video:

Las Vegas hit-and-run death of cyclist Andreas Probst was intentional, video shows: Retired police chief, 64, was murdered by laughing 17-year-old while on his morning bike ride

work4bike 09-17-23 05:05 AM

Wow, this a separate issue where a teenager has been charged with hitting three cyclists in one night, killing one. Police will only say the boy is between 14 - 17 years old

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/teen-dr...ch-california/

Teen driver arrested after "series of intentional hit-and-run incidents" leave 1 bicyclist dead, 2 injured in Huntington Beach, California

\A teenage driver was in custody Wednesday on suspicion of striking three bicyclists, killing one, in a Southern California beach city last weekend, in what police called a "series of intentional hit-and-run incidents."

In the first hit-and-run collision, a bicyclist said a black Toyota sideswiped him around 10:30 p.m Sunday night in Huntington Beach, leaving him with minor injuries, said Jessica Cuchilla, a police spokesperson.

Another cyclist said he was aggressively sideswiped by a black Toyota about 15 minutes later just up the road from the first collision, police said. And 15 minutes after that, a black Toyota sedan struck 70-year-old Steven Gonzales, who was alive when paramedics showed up but died at the scene.

downhillmaster 09-17-23 06:46 AM

A senseless tragedy and to make it even worse, in some instances the mainstream media has been referring to it as simply a bike crash :mad:

JW Fas 09-17-23 07:35 AM

If there is a silver lining, the consequences will probably be serious since the victim was former law enforcement.

Bald Paul 09-17-23 07:48 AM

I hope this doesn't become the new Tik-Tok challenge.
Let the idiots stick to eating Tide pods.

Moe Zhoost 09-17-23 12:47 PM

Totally disgusting. What is wrong with some people?

CrimsonEclipse 09-17-23 02:01 PM

This is murder.

Call it a 1st degree, premeditated MURDER.

Both of the car drivers should be tried Murder1 and spend the rest of their pitiful lives under the prison

DangerousDanR 09-17-23 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by JW Fas (Post 23018000)
If there is a silver lining, the consequences will probably be serious since the victim was former law enforcement.

Or maybe not... Bell California had quite a reputation around the time this guy "retired" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/City_of_Bell_scandal

wolfchild 09-17-23 03:01 PM

This type of crime should have automatic death penalty.

Rick 09-17-23 05:59 PM

This type of crime should have automatic death penalty.
​​​​​​​I agree in this case with total proof of this act the death penalty should be used.

JW Fas 09-17-23 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by Rick (Post 23018501)
​​​​​​​I agree in this case with total proof of this act the death penalty should be used.

I don't know how practical it would be. The last time Nevada executed a criminal was 2006, and that guy killed two people (one of whom he graped first). I'm not claiming a jury wouldn't recommend capital punishment, but given the large time gap since the last execution and the comparative circumstances, I don't think they'd be as likely to make that recommendation.

Practicality aside, I don't think the death penalty does anything useful on principle. Even if the perpetrator is afraid of death, they get a relatively gentle death via lethal injection (the only legal method in NV). No one gets justice from that. A dead person cannot learn anything, suffer shame and embarrassment, or truly experience the consequences of their actions. Only a living person can do those things. Maybe these perpetrators feel no remorse, and maybe they won't actually learn their lesson by spending life in prison. However, they will know they're trapped forever, and that will be their reality until they die decades later. That is a fate worse than death itself.

Desert Ryder 09-17-23 08:52 PM

I live in Henderson, next to Las Vegas, and we didn't hear about this. My brother in CA asked me about it Sat. night and I didn't know what he was talking about.

Seems strange it wasn't played over and over on the local news.

George Mann 09-17-23 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by Desert Ryder (Post 23018633)
I live in Henderson, next to Las Vegas, and we didn't hear about this. My brother in CA asked me about it Sat. night and I didn't know what he was talking about.

Seems strange it wasn't played over and over on the local news.

I gather from your other posts on the matter that you and I have this whole thing figured out.

If only some things weren't too controversial to openly talk about.

PeteHski 09-18-23 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by JW Fas (Post 23018632)
I don't know how practical it would be. The last time Nevada executed a criminal was 2006, and that guy killed two people (one of whom he graped first). I'm not claiming a jury wouldn't recommend capital punishment, but given the large time gap since the last execution and the comparative circumstances, I don't think they'd be as likely to make that recommendation.

Practicality aside, I don't think the death penalty does anything useful on principle. Even if the perpetrator is afraid of death, they get a relatively gentle death via lethal injection (the only legal method in NV). No one gets justice from that. A dead person cannot learn anything, suffer shame and embarrassment, or truly experience the consequences of their actions. Only a living person can do those things. Maybe these perpetrators feel no remorse, and maybe they won't actually learn their lesson by spending life in prison. However, they will know they're trapped forever, and that will be their reality until they die decades later. That is a fate worse than death itself.

Make them rot in prison for a couple of decades and then execute them. Best of both worlds and they know it’s coming. Isn’t that what death row is like anyway?

SpeedyBlueBiker 09-18-23 06:55 PM

There was another thread about this in the general cycling area but for some reason the thread has been closed. to further comments. Luckily, the driver was arrested that day. I only hope that he is prosecuted as an adult to the fullest extent of the Nevada law.

Two teenagers deliberately run over a cyclist and kill him - MarcaTV

Rick 09-18-23 08:55 PM

Our laws are intended to punish the criminal and protect us from their bad actions.
Feeding them until they drop dead punishes us. And most likely they would get out early and find someone else to Victimize. We do not need to be punished by spending large amounts of money being their caretakers either.

I say the death penalty has purpose in this case.
​​​​​​​

icemilkcoffee 09-19-23 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by downhillmaster (Post 23017967)
A senseless tragedy and to make it even worse, in some instances the mainstream media has been referring to it as simply a bike crash :mad:

Conspiracy theory busted:
https://www.reviewjournal.com/crime/...on-rj-2906223/

JoeyBike 09-19-23 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by SpeedyBlueBiker (Post 23019521)
There was another thread about this in the general cycling area but for some reason the thread has been closed. to further comments.

I'm not sure how this is an A&S issue either.

njkayaker 09-19-23 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by JoeyBike (Post 23018209)

Originally Posted by JoeyBike (Post 23019821)
I'm not sure how this is an A&S issue either.

If you have any non-cyclist friends who commute to work by car in a metropolitan area daily, ask them. You will be surprised. If they aren't straight up hating cyclists they are laughing out loud at the pointy helmets and matching leotards emblazoned with the logos of Italian dish soap companies. Those costumes tend to dehumanize cyclists mostly to non-cyclists who encounter said costumed cyclists on the roadways. Ask around.

Yes. It's clearly not an A&S issue since the cyclist wasn't wearing a "matching leotard" or a "pointy helmet". :rolleyes:

Steel Charlie 09-19-23 07:30 AM

https://www.yahoo.com/news/district-...190958398.html

work4bike 09-19-23 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by work4bike (Post 23017909)
Wow, this a separate issue where a teenager has been charged with hitting three cyclists in one night, killing one. Police will only say the boy is between 14 - 17 years old

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/teen-dr...ch-california/

The Las Vegas story has been getting a lot of coverage (and I have NOT seen any media describe this as a simple bike crash).

However, it does illustrate the power of video, because the other story (above quote box) hasn't been updated for at least five days and by all reports these were intentional acts of violence.

merlinextraligh 09-20-23 08:42 AM

The fact that the perpetrators would video this, and distribute the video, shows that they are truly depraved.

iIt makes you wonder, what sort of families they were raised in, what sort of schools they attended.

indyfabz 09-20-23 11:07 AM

There was another thread about this in the general cycling area but for some reason the thread has been closed. to further comments.

Probably because if the subject belongs anywhere, it's in A&S. Often times duplicate threads are merged, but it is not unheard of for a duplicate thread to be locked.

VegasTriker 09-20-23 01:36 PM

The 17 year old driver is being charged as an adult with murder and the person who filmed it will be as well. Both were bound over in juvenile court but the DA will move it to adult court. Don't plan on them being given the death penalty. The supreme court ruled out the death penalty for anyone under 18 even if being tried as adults. It's also not very effective as a punishment as it isn't carried out. I was an alternate juror on a particularly gruesome murder/sexual assault case in the mid to late 1980s here in Clark County. The murderer received the death penalty and it was upheld by the state supreme court. It is now nearly 40 years and the guy who committed the crime is beyond middle age but still alive. The best thing is that he will never see the light of day outside of prison. One thing in this case is that the victim was a retired policeman and his fellow officers would have gone to the end of the earth to eventually solve the case. I would be very surprised if they both don't spend the rest of their lives in prison for one stupid day on the road.

njkayaker 09-20-23 01:58 PM

The reason is that these sorts of threads can lead to “heated” discussions.

The moderators have A&S (this subforum) and P&R as places for heated discussions. This lets them be contained and easily avoided by people who wish to do so.

(I think this is a reasonable policy.)