Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Winter Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=53)
-   -   End of studs (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1167972)

baldilocks 03-09-19 11:34 AM

End of studs

When do you stop using studded tires. The temps may be getting to the forties, but when I leave for work in the morning, it's still 27 degrees. If it weren't so salty, I'd like to get my good bike out. What is the deciding factor for you as far as when you switch to your other tires. They've been great when I've needed them (first winter with studs), but I'm ready for them to be gone. Maybe next year I'll get a second set of tires.

mcours2006 03-09-19 12:31 PM

I hear you about riding on studded tires. I've had them on all winter, but yesterday I swapped them out for non-studs, and man, what a nice change.

It's too early to put them away. There is plenty of winter left. I'd say at least another month for me and I can start thinking about it. This past week has been quite dry and the road conditions have been good, and that's why I sneaked in a ride without them.

parkbrav 03-09-19 01:38 PM

I had this exact question last winter. I bike all year round and switch the tires once per season.

The advice I got was essentially, keep them on because there's lots of winter left and it's cheaper to keep them on than risk a wipeout and possible medical bill in case winter makes a sudden return.

The advice I got was keep them on for about two or three weeks of low temperatures above 32F. If it can't freeze then no black ice thus time to start thinking ahead to spring and summer.

For me this means about the Master's PGA tournament, which is April 11-14 this year, or one week before Easter

2_i 03-09-19 01:52 PM

I use studded/aggressive tread only on rutted ice/heavy snow. Otherwise I ride on non-studded Continental Winter tires that take me without hiccups between seasons with swinging temperatures below and above freezing. There are similar offerings apparently from other manufacturers.

fietsbob 03-09-19 02:22 PM

I have a spare bike. it's wheels with studded tires, it just gets parked in the basement,

3 separate days in last 30, right at 0C snow/rain mix, last night dry cloudless , it dipped colder..

but I'm maybe 20 feet above sea level 10 miles from the ocean.. more snow higher up the hill ..

its gone by now..

But at 1600 feet, over the Coast Range, things are different..

ThermionicScott 03-09-19 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by baldilocks (Post 20830184)
When do you stop using studded tires. The temps may be getting to the forties, but when I leave for work in the morning, it's still 27 degrees. If it weren't so salty, I'd like to get my good bike out. What is the deciding factor for you as far as when you switch to your other tires. They've been great when I've needed them (first winter with studs), but I'm ready for them to be gone. Maybe next year I'll get a second set of tires.

This is a particularly dangerous time of year, because the snow melts (or it rains) and can freeze into icy patches overnight. I put up with studs for a while after we start getting above-freezing daytime temperatures just to make sure I'm not unpleasantly surprised out on the road.

Suck it up, they're making you strong. :thumb:

bark_eater 03-09-19 02:36 PM

I'm holding out for another storm. I only got a couple hundred miles of riding in this winter with a studded single speed mountain bike but it was nice to have the "no excuses" bike ready to go.

ljsense 03-09-19 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by ThermionicScott (Post 20830401)
This is a particularly dangerous time of year, because the snow melts (or it rains) and can freeze into icy patches overnight. I put up with studs for a while after we start getting above-freezing daytime temperatures just to make sure I'm not unpleasantly surprised out on the road.

Agree -- early spring is when studded tires are most valuable, because meltwater freezes overnight, and thin ice over pavement are where studs shine.

Rule of thumb would be the same for when you can put flowers out -- last freeze. Or just watch for tulips coming out of the ground, and change your tires when you see them bloom.

2_i 03-09-19 05:02 PM

Of course you do what you feel that you need to do. However, relative to what you can encounter in winter, short flat patches characteristic for temperatures going up and down late and at at times early in the season are a minor issue. You can get through such patches through inertia. Obviously you should not sleep under conditions of such type and particularly pay attention if you need to turn. Rough situation is when deformed ice builds up and you can only get through with studs or by walking and that is usually deeper into the season. Whether or not you have studs you need to strategize and as you gain skill you find fewer and fewer situations where studs make much difference.

mcours2006 03-10-19 06:18 AM

Yep. A week's worth of riding on studs, and a net headwind, is worth about 1.5 weeks or more of summer riding in terms of work and effort.

Still blows, though.

bark_eater 03-10-19 06:28 AM

Add a 50lb kid in a trailer. "Up hill, both ways"

baldilocks 03-10-19 06:39 AM

Based on the forecast I can take them off in April. That's with only one degree to spare. I don't mind riding on them that much. But after riding down a street that looked like a sheet of glass, I feel silly using them when all I see is clean pavement. But then, I think I bought them for what I don't see (black ice) and at age 52 I'm too young for a broken hip.

Daniel4 03-10-19 08:19 AM

As long as there are patches of ice on the trails, the studs stay on.

rumrunn6 03-10-19 09:42 AM

When the ice is off the trails I like. Last year I took a non studded bike down to our local river trail cuz there wasn’t any snow or ice anywhere well except for these trails so had to ride back home to get the studded bike then ride to the trails all over again

yesterday I kept driving south looking for ideal snow depth for my mtb

pre-spring is tricky

ZIPP2001 03-10-19 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by rumrunn6 (Post 20831421)
When the ice is off the trails I like. Last year I took a non studded bike down to our local river trail cuz there wasn’t any snow or ice anywhere well except for these trails so had to ride back home to get the studded bike then ride to the trails all over again

yesterday I kept driving south looking for ideal snow depth for my mtb

pre-spring is tricky

The trails still have several inches of ice under the snow out my way so studs stay on for a while longer.

wolfchild 03-10-19 05:32 PM

This is a particularly dangerous time of year, because the snow melts (or it rains) and can freeze into icy patches overnight.

That's exactly why I am keeping my studs on for a little while longer, those early morning commutes can be very slick... Last year we had a big ice storm in the middle of April. It's only March and anything can happen.

parkbrav 03-11-19 05:40 AM

Boston had a slush / freezing rain storm yesterday and now the suburbs are covered in a sheet of black ice. I guess "winter wants to play a little longer"!

Daniel4 03-11-19 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by parkbrav (Post 20832559)
Boston had a slush / freezing rain storm yesterday and now the suburbs are covered in a sheet of black ice. I guess "winter wants to play a little longer"!

FYI. It's still winter. Where I live, we get snow right into April. Everybody should expect it but everybody is always shocked when it happens.

rumrunn6 03-11-19 01:00 PM

not yet

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...d5e3299d70.jpg

parkbrav 03-11-19 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by Daniel4 (Post 20833247)
FYI. It's still winter. Where I live, we get snow right into April. Everybody should expect it but everybody is always shocked when it happens.

Gotcha, you're right, but it is awfully tantalizing because when it's not precipitating it's actually sunny here and the snow is melting rapidly.

The other day I got to run on the public outdoor track. That's rather remarkable because they clear off the athletic field in the center and store the snow on the track. Usually, that track is under feet of snow this time of year.

mcours2006 03-11-19 04:05 PM

On a day like today you'd be foolish to ride without studs. The warmer temp yesterday melted a lot of snow, creating lots of wet patches and puddles on the road. Over night the temperature dipped below freezing and created just the situation against which many of you were warning. So, a bit premature to talk about taking off the studs.

Sidewalks were even worse. I went for a run this afternoon and it was downright dangerous.

Daniel4 03-14-19 03:20 PM

Slush is too thick to ride without fat bike tires. I tried with my beater mountain bike (studded 2 in tires). Had too hard a time. Then the next day, went out with my fat bike and it was a breeze.

rumrunn6 03-20-19 08:32 AM

come heck or high water, neither would I wish on anyone, what a weird expression, this Sunday 3/24/19 ...

ThermionicScott 03-20-19 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by rumrunn6 (Post 20846597)
come heck or high water, neither would I wish on anyone, what a weird expression, this Sunday 3/24/19 ...

My phone is forecasting a few nights below freezing next week, but not by much. Probably a safe gamble. :thumb:

parkbrav 03-20-19 09:40 AM

I am highly suspicious that the Boston area will get an "April-Fool's Day" snow storm this year. It often happens, of varying intensity.