Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   In search of information on a Murray bike (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1200548)

kissycat2002 05-06-20 05:35 PM

In search of information on a Murray bike

My husband, 3 kids ago, found me an awesome bike that I wanted at the time. We found it at a Salvation Army and I had to have it.

Here we are, about 10 years later, and I try the bike out. It's not my size. It's a 24" Murray upbeat 10 speed. Front tire missing and back tire so flat.....my question is, does anyone know anything about this bike? I think the 90s called and want it back.......

Any info would be much appreciated

Bianchigirll 05-06-20 05:51 PM

Murray was low end brand sold by Walmart and Kmart type stores until I guess sometime in the early 2000s. There isn’t much interest in the, especially if they are not rideable. Probably the best thing to do is just put it on a resale forum and say free bike for parts come and get it

kissycat2002 05-06-20 06:06 PM

Oh.....but this this is a thing of.....vintage......90s.....uh.....well, if I could post a picture I would show you. I was just curious if anyone had any info......?

Bianchigirll 05-06-20 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by kissycat2002 (Post 21459852)
Oh.....but this this is a thing of.....vintage......90s.....uh.....well, if I could post a picture I would show you. I was just curious if anyone had any info......?

Murray has an incredible history, lots of Union organized violence, but again it seems to indicate through the ‘80s and ‘90s the bikes were low end machines.

they were basically high tensile steel frames with mostly all steel (low end parts). Probably the only good things was it was made in the USA and I believe most of the parts were made in the same building as the frame.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murray_(bicycle_company)

katsup 05-06-20 06:30 PM

Photo Assist
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...7d3bbaa542.jpg

Just because it's 30 years old, doesn't mean it's valuable.

kissycat2002 05-06-20 06:37 PM

Ah bummer. I was only hoping...... thanks ☺️

JohnDThompson 05-06-20 08:15 PM

It may not be valuable, but if you like it, that's what is important.

Ride on…

kissycat2002 05-06-20 08:19 PM

I thought I did......then I sat on it and realized it was too small for me. Wasn't comfortable. I have a Murray Monterey, 1960s, that I love.

Russ Roth 05-06-20 08:32 PM

I've dealt with several of them over the years and as others have said, it was a cheaply made department store bike. But while they were slow and heavy there really wasn't much about them that could/would go wrong if you kept the tires inflated and the ride could be quite comfortable. Their value unfortunately fluctuates with the price of scrap and its doubtful that it will be worth anything.

beach_cycle 05-06-20 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by kissycat2002 (Post 21459786)
...24" Murray upbeat 10 speed. Front tire missing and back tire so flat.....my question is, does anyone know anything about this bike? I think the 90s called and want it back.......

Any info would be much appreciated

I don't know that model, but have experience with a Murry 18 Speed Mountain Bike. I was in a motorcycle vs. car accident in 1991. Fast forward to 1995, I wanted to try riding a bike again so picked out a sporty Murray MTB within my budget and rolled it up to the check out in a Walmart. Low end but served a purpose; I rode it on my days off, as I drove my car 40 miles to work on weekdays, and it built my confidence to get back on a motorcycle. My experience with Murray is they made good quality bikes for people without a budget for the latest/greatest bike technology... if you have the room to keep it, think of yours as a nostalgic personal paper weight.

kissycat2002 05-07-20 12:36 AM

We have no room to keep it as my husband has around 100 frames.....good thing we have a couple of sheds to keep them contained. I have no desire or attachment to this bike. It's probably going to be stripped of useful parts and scraped.

I'm sorry about your motorcycle accident but I'm glad you are back on. My husband has 2 Kawasaki, a 250 and a 750. He decided to wait till he was mature enough to start riding. Glad he did. He was quite a rebel about 10+ years ago 😁

Pcampeau 05-07-20 12:40 AM

I had a late 80s 10 speed Murray Sebring when I was a teenager. It definitely served a purpose for me. If it had been an expensive bike there was no way I would have had one. I rode it quite happily and I’m sure it was a heavy low quality bike but at 13 I didn’t notice. If my parents could have somehow afforded for me a Colnago I wouldn’t have treated it any better than I did that Murray. It was the right bike for the time.

Bianchigirll 05-07-20 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by kissycat2002 (Post 21460107)
I thought I did......then I sat on it and realized it was too small for me. Wasn't comfortable. I have a Murray Monterey, 1960s, that I love.

Older 'cruiser type Murrays a little nicer, as there was more room to use better quality material for the bikes.

I'd love to find a nice cantiever frame so I can put a 8 speed internal hub on it and really have a nice cruiser

https://img.letgo.com/images/de/22/e...policy=img_600

Velo Mule 05-07-20 05:38 PM

Wait, kissycat2002 , did you say that your husband has about a 100 frames. Are these art frames, bicycle frames or some other type of frames.

russtopherb 05-07-20 07:19 PM

I've owned 2 Murrays in my life. One was a chrome and black BMX that I raced around age 11-12 in the mid 80's and I bent the cranks landing from a jump.

The other was an inexpensive MTB purchased in the early 2000s. I cracked the frame somehow while out on a ride with my then 4 yr old in his kiddie seat behind me. We were happily cruising along when suddenly the rear end of the bike felt extremely loose. I walked it back home with him still strapped in the seat.

Kent T 05-07-20 08:07 PM

I am from Tennessee. Murray 10 speeds or higher are an insult to my state in terms of cycling. BSO at their worst. BSO for newbies (Bike Shaped Object). Murray's cruisers were cheaper than Schwinn but acceptable. But Murray's trying to bully tariffs on imported quality bikes, was something I never forgot.