Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Who rides with their jersey's undone/fluttering in the wind? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1210296)

NoWhammies 08-14-20 02:37 PM

Who rides with their jersey's undone/fluttering in the wind?

Over the past couple of days while riding out on the bike, I've seen more and more riders riding with their jersey's undone and fluttering in the wind behind them. This give me, the oncoming rider, a good view of their heart rate monitor (if they are using one) and bib straps.

I'm good/comfortable riding with my jersey done up (maybe I don't get that hot?) but what's the consensus here? Yeah, on a hot day why not? Or no, don't unzip ever?

Curious to hear thoughts. Cheers.

GlennR 08-14-20 02:41 PM

When i'm sweating bullets and there's a breeze, i will unzip my jersey. I don't do it all the way since I don't want it "fluttering" since my cellphone is in the middle pocket (and it hides my gut).

I have had people ask what the strap is so I tell them it's heart rate monitor so I know if i'm going have a stroke.

I don't have a "dad-bod", it's more of a "granddad-bod".

shelbyfv 08-14-20 02:48 PM

Not if you are old and fat like me. I'll unzip most of the way if I'm riding alone and it's really hot. I zip up at least 50% if I'm stopping at a store or riding with others. You have to be considerate of others. Nobody wants to see pasty white blubber. Young slim folks, go for it! And no bibs w/o a shirt of some sort. Believe it or not, I've actually seen this.:twitchy:

Germanrazor 08-14-20 02:50 PM

The most I have unzipped has been about 3-4”.

Digger Goreman 08-14-20 03:06 PM

If it's hot enough, down to the bottom of the breastbone.... :eek:

Sy Reene 08-14-20 03:27 PM

I'll unzip to the doughnut, but I always wear a base.

tomato coupe 08-14-20 03:37 PM

Not gonna happen -- gold chains weigh too much, and carbon fiber chains don't have enough bling.

Sy Reene 08-14-20 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by tomato coupe (Post 21641396)
Not gonna happen -- gold chains weigh too much, and carbon fiber chains don't have enough bling.

fwiw, KMC makes an SL version if it helps

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...96749a6dd9.jpg

genejockey 08-14-20 03:58 PM

I'll unzip to the belly button on a hot climb. If someone's offended by seeing my pasty white blubber, then can avert their eyes!

Once I'm at the top and starting down, I zip back up. And I never unzip all the way. I'm not comfortable enough riding with no hands, so I don't want to have to re-zip from fully open. AND I don't want my phone and keys falling out!

rubiksoval 08-14-20 04:20 PM

Never. Totally pointless and it slows you down.

seypat 08-14-20 04:24 PM

It might be the new "in thing/pro look" trickling down to the average Joes.

MSchott 08-14-20 04:28 PM

No way. Nothing to show off.

noodle soup 08-14-20 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by seypat (Post 21641503)
It might be the new "in thing/pro look" trickling down to the average Joes.

there’s nothing new about it.

scuzzo 08-14-20 04:38 PM

hell yes, its more comfortable... and i have no shame about it... if your dressed like a super hero with all that spandex and a space helmet and buck rogers glasses, bowling shoes... what is the harm to unzip the jersey, i could carless if it catches the wind... im not triying to gain seconds on a stage race and im fit...

Hermes 08-14-20 05:01 PM

Generally, no but it depends how hot I am. I was really hot during this hill climb race. Thankfully it was near the finish.
Photo by Alexander Komlik

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...4fd7b088c5.jpg

caloso 08-14-20 05:13 PM

Generally only on a hill climb. I generally have stuff in my pockets that I don't want swinging around.

datlas 08-14-20 05:50 PM

Only when it’s really hot and humid.

diphthong 08-14-20 06:10 PM

definitely when appropriately hot...like today. entire 37 miler with flappng jersey. i always wear a baselayer tho.
if i didn't, probably wouldn't zip down more than two inches above the bellybutton.

burnthesheep 08-14-20 06:40 PM

I’ll undo a bit on a hot day. Too far and the pocket junk flaps around.

I’m not a GC contender so I gotta carry a ton of stuff in Covid times for long rides.

If it is a race it is too short to matter. I am a TT person and a 4/5.

Carbonfiberboy 08-14-20 06:45 PM

Never. 6" at the most. No base layer. Tight jersey.

CAT7RDR 08-14-20 06:58 PM

If its that hot, I would probably just wear a singlet or sleeveless jersey. Otherwise, I just zip down to the sternum.

Rides4Beer 08-14-20 07:26 PM

I might unzip it some if I'm working hard on a climb, but that's really more mental than anything, since I wear Castelli climbers jerseys in the summer, which are very breathable mesh, so it doesn't really help much to actually cool me off. :lol: Don't want the drag slowing me down. :thumb:

AlmostTrick 08-14-20 08:20 PM

I understand that the effects on aerodynamics will slow you a bit, but if you're overheating and it cools you down that has to increase available power.

cthenn 08-14-20 08:42 PM

Never on a descent. I've engulfed enough bees and yellow jackets (with subsequent stings) in my jersey to know better...

noodle soup 08-14-20 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by caloso (Post 21641600)
Generally only on a hill climb.

+1

Climbs are really the only time this helps much. If you are moving at a reasonable pace, a wet jersey on your body will keep your body cooler.