Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Do you mix your kit brands? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1281989)

Mojo31 10-02-23 02:18 PM

Do you mix your kit brands?

Question says it all. What say the dapper?

Iride01 10-02-23 02:31 PM

If it has to be the dapper that answer, then you might get a weighted result.

I'm not dapper at all. I'll mix and match any item of my kit to suit the moment and what's been laundered.

indyfabz 10-02-23 02:39 PM

Hellz yes. Usually Rapha up top and PI down below.

Maelochs 10-02-23 02:59 PM

Is one who is less dapper .... merely dap?

WTF?

Perhaps the even more dapper can shed some light?

And how can I increase my dapness?

How does "kit" differ from "gear" (as an American, I don't want to seem pretentious using a Continental term, you know.)

skidder 10-02-23 03:30 PM

If you're addressing clothes with brand logos, then no because I'd be loathe to wear anything like that (unless the brands are paying me to be a rolling billboard).

Would wearing a cotton t-shirt with regular bicycling shorts while on a road-style bicycle be considered a fashion faux pas in the bicycling world?

wolfchild 10-02-23 03:37 PM

I don't use any cycling kits.

CAT7RDR 10-02-23 03:57 PM

Technically Eclectic for me.
Function before style works best.
This is not a freaking fashion runway.

Well, for some, maybe it is?

SoSmellyAir 10-02-23 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 23031938)
Question says it all. What say the dapper?

Why no poll? But yes, I do mix.

surak 10-02-23 04:16 PM

Wouldn't think twice about it. Brands that fit me well and feel comfortable above and below the waist tend to differ significantly. And that's not including accessories like gloves, warmers, and shoes.

squirtdad 10-02-23 04:26 PM

Tend to stick with voler shorts, Tops Voler and Aerotech.....would likely stick with Voler but they don't always have high vis

don't wear kit like jumbo - visma etc

I do have a custom top with the Chinook Sugarbeeter logo.... just because (chinook mt)
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...f8fdc2bdc3.jpg

pdlamb 10-02-23 05:45 PM

Like the model airplanes I enjoyed during my youth, I put kits together before I display them.

79pmooney 10-02-23 05:51 PM

No. The odds of the best fit shorts coming from the same manufacturer as the jersey of fit I like, good pockets and good visible colors is a) remote and b) probably costing more time and money than I want to expend.

genejockey 10-02-23 05:58 PM

I didn't used to, but I started buying LeCol when I got a discount. Just a jersey or two. Then they had a sale on their top-of-the-line bibs, so they were no more expensive than the midrange Louis Garneau's I'd been buying since forever. Oh. My. God. The difference! So, I keep shopping sales and discounts and now most of my stuff is Le Col.

Also, I got tired of listening to my older style, non-snug-fitting jerseys flap in the breeze, AND I finally got tired of my apparently indestructible (and unloseable) Pearl Izumi ankle socks that probably date to about 2009.

Mojo31 10-02-23 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir (Post 23032062)
Why no poll? But yes, I do mix.

Thats beyond my internet capability.

JohnDThompson 10-02-23 07:17 PM

Sure. If it's clean, I'll wear it.

purpurite 10-02-23 07:29 PM

I don't see any reason to limit my options fot bibs and jerseys. I wear what fits and what is comfortable, top and bottom (De Marchi, Catella, Pearl Izumi, Rapha, Giordana, Castelli).

seypat 10-02-23 07:38 PM

Gotta wear what fits/works. It doesn't matter the brand. Worrying about being matchy matchy brings the dreaded p word into the conversation.

john m flores 10-02-23 07:43 PM

I mix Italian brands - Castelli, De Marchi, Giordana. Everything else is declassé...😉

indyfabz 10-02-23 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by JohnDThompson (Post 23032251)
Sure. If it's clean, I'll wear it.

What a diva, ladies and germs. :D According to my PCP, I’m immune to 76 different strains of bacteria and 18 different types of fungi thanks to wearing dirty cycling clothes. I once rode 6 straight days without a shower or laundry facilities while on tour.

zandoval 10-02-23 08:16 PM

All my sweat stains match!

Mojo31 10-02-23 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 23032297)
What a diva, ladies and germs. :D According to my PCP, I’m immune to 76 different strains of bacteria and 18 different types of fungi thanks to wearing dirty cycling clothes. I once rode 6 straight days without a shower or laundry facilities while on tour.

Eeeewww!

macattack71 10-02-23 08:54 PM

I pretty much only wear hi-vis tech shirts during the warmer months, along with PI shorts. Trying to stay as visible as possible. If doing a group ride, favorite local sports teams jersey comes out. No one in this town would run them down.

jon c. 10-02-23 09:05 PM

Sure, as long as the shorts are black you're not violating any rules,

David_Harris 10-03-23 03:52 AM

I do what I want!

mstateglfr 10-03-23 07:44 AM

Bibs are all Voler Black Label or Voler Cache...so Voler.
Jerseys are Rapha, Twin6, and Voler.

Over the last 3 years Ive really trimmed down what I have for clothing as well as from which brands.

So yeah, I definitely mix and am happy to. None of my clothing has large branding on it, so its not like it would be obvious that I mix. But more importantly, it isnt a bad thing to mix.
I find no value in forcing myself to wear clothing that is uncomfortable just because its a matching brand to other clothing I am wearing.