Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=220)
-   -   Quick vs Electric (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1288708)

chunkymonkeybik 02-19-24 10:32 AM

Quick vs Electric

I rode my Cannondale Quick for the 1st time in a long time. I'd been riding my electric bike for commuting and errands. I thought, "is there something wrong with my Quick?" I got off and checked the brakes, nothing wrong. I learned you have to earn every bit of power w/no motor.

t2p 02-19-24 10:48 AM

have you seen a Quick Neo ?

can barely determine they are battery powered - and relatively lightweight (for that type of bike)

ScottCommutes 02-19-24 11:22 AM

The quick was slow (couldn't resist)

Carbonfiberboy 02-19-24 12:39 PM

That's the reason I haven't considered getting an ebike. At 12 mph and 78 y.o. I don't feel any pedal pressure on my old Trek carbon bike. That said, it's not been an easy battle keeping it that way. I'm fighting the aging demons every inch of the way, a very slow losing battle of course, but I'm fighting anyway. Of course my bike is a full race machine, just old, -17° slammed stem and all that. Goes good when I push on the pedals.

mobilemail 02-19-24 01:47 PM

I just added electric to one of my rides last year, specifically a recumbent trike. Most days I'm happy to go human powered. But I realized that 50-60 hilly miles might mean two extra hours on the road, which can be kind of a big deal in the heat, and/or if you're packing your food and water for the whole ride.

work4bike 02-19-24 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy (Post 23161163)
That's the reason I haven't considered getting an ebike. At 12 mph and 78 y.o. I don't feel any pedal pressure on my old Trek carbon bike. That said, it's not been an easy battle keeping it that way. I'm fighting the aging demons every inch of the way, a very slow losing battle of course, but I'm fighting anyway. Of course my bike is a full race machine, just old, -17° slammed stem and all that. Goes good when I push on the pedals.

Same here:thumb:

I liken it to quit working out for a while and then trying to start up again or another analogy would be to plan on working out after you watch a show, then watch you another show, then eat something... and before you know it you're just too lazy to do a damn thing.

I will fight the urge until the bitter end:speedy:

:50:

Carbonfiberboy 02-19-24 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by work4bike (Post 23161325)
Same here:thumb:

I liken it to quit working out for a while and then trying to start up again or another analogy would be to plan on working out after you watch a show, then watch you another show, then eat something... and before you know it you're just too lazy to do a damn thing.

I will fight the urge until the bitter end:speedy:

:50:

Yeah, people tell me they're binge-watching whatever. We've never had a TV that was hooked up to anything, though we sometimes watch DVDs. Yup, cranky old people. And it's not that you're too lazy, you can't do it anymore.

The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise.
-Socrates

Billlyy 02-19-24 08:31 PM

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...66d4978768.png
This is the typical result!!!!! Pedal power for me , Cannondale quick hybrid!!

boozergut 02-20-24 07:37 AM

I'm trying to work harder each year to hopefully delay the transition to a quitter's bike. They are sadly taking over the trails here. The heavy throttle only versions are the worst.

work4bike 02-20-24 08:39 AM

Talk about "heavy throttle"

Biker395 02-22-24 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by chunkymonkeybik (Post 23161020)
I rode my Cannondale Quick for the 1st time in a long time. I'd been riding my electric bike for commuting and errands. I thought, "is there something wrong with my Quick?" I got off and checked the brakes, nothing wrong. I learned you have to earn every bit of power w/no motor.

When I look at the measly amount of power I’m putting out on my typical ride and compare it to the horsepower of a typical e-bike, I’m not surprised.

Like about everyone else in this group, I’m fighting the aging battle. I still remember some days when even riding uphill seemed effortless, and something I could do all day. It’s a lot tougher getting to that point at an older age, but I’m hell bent to get it done.

rsbob 02-25-24 12:14 AM

I am finding the good days are fewer and farther - but it’s always ‘good’ to be out, even if the legs disagree. However that rare, great day, when I am feeling strong and can climb like a goat, it now an exceptional day worth savoring.

Dudelsack 03-02-24 09:43 AM

Thanks everybody for their candor. It’s depressing to read the “I’m 87 and I still compete in the Iron Man” posts. And I live next to a guy who is in his 60s and still competes in the Iron Man. But I poisoned his dog.

Nah, I didn’t poison her. She’s a good dog, too.

I’ve really been dragging this week. I’m on assignment and have been working harder than usual. Just a few years ago I’d just suck it up. Now I recite “they will walk and not faint” and hope there’s not a statute of limitations on it.

choddo 03-03-24 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by Billlyy (Post 23161638)
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...66d4978768.png
This is the typical result!!!!! Pedal power for me , Cannondale quick hybrid!!

That made me laugh far more than it should have but I have to say I love ebikes and there’s a great example at work where a mate has done the reverse of that, lost 30kilos since he got an eMTB. Any bike is better than no bike.

Classtime 03-04-24 08:22 AM

E-bikes are like taking meds instead of changing your lifestyle. PLUS, they are a menace to the rest of us.

Dudelsack 03-04-24 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by Classtime (Post 23174471)
E-bikes are like taking meds instead of changing your lifestyle. PLUS, they are a menace to the rest of us.

Damn right. And derailleurs are a Commie plot.

CAT7RDR 03-04-24 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by Classtime (Post 23174471)

Yep! I just see them as another type of motorcycle. They belong on the road and not on MUPS if they are cruising at 30-40 mph.
For those that honestly just need a 100 watt boost to get up over a hill to keep up with others, or commute, good for us all.

As for me? You are correct in saying lifestyle is the key. Riding more, strength training and a better diet will drop my weight while getting stronger.

Kabuki12 03-06-24 06:56 PM

I did a ride Sunday with a couple of friends . One of them is 15 years younger and the other is 10 years younger. I will be 70 this year and I broke my hip 6 months ago so I’m not 100% yet. They were leaving me behind at one point going up the canyon and then again while fighting a head wind going into Ventura. I told them that the mid sixties is a turning point for some , it was for me. Recovering from a broken hip and subsequent surgery has been tough . I could tell they didn’t believe me but age IS a factor for a lot of us. My average speed dropped by 67 years old , not huge , but it just dropped . I still love riding and my distance is nearly back , not so much my speed. I don’t need any electric help , I just need a little more time to get there. Joe

DougG 03-17-24 06:34 AM

For me when I get off my e-bike onto my road bike (or even my hybrid) I'm always surprised by how light and maneuverable it feels (and my e-bike weighs less than 40lbs)!

chunkymonkeybik 03-17-24 09:18 PM

heck yeah! Get out and ride. Any means- electric, conventional, etc.

chunkymonkeybik 03-17-24 09:19 PM

all good!

chunkymonkeybik 03-17-24 09:30 PM

Hacinda Heights? City riding, too dangerous, be careful.